GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Summer Performance Tires in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 09:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Exclamation Summer Performance Tires in Cold Weather

Many Lexus GS 350 F-Sport models come equipped with summer performance tires, and owners oftentimes will replace their OE tires with summer performance tires. Did you know that driving on these tires in cold weather is extremely dangerous? Anyone not using All Season (or dedicated winter tires) should be aware that their summer performance tires are death traps at temperatures of 40-45° and below. Many people are simply not aware of this! And people that are aware of this, but don't heed the advice of experts are gambling with their life and the lives of others.

Summer performance tires become hard as a hockey puck when cold with the traction of a plastic snowboard. It's not only about acceleration traction, but stopping traction and everyday cornering and maneuvering traction. And it's not just ice or snow conditions either - cold summer tires on bone dry pavement is like marbles on the floor of a bathtub. Unless you are experienced driving on rock-hard tires with nonexistent traction you are asking for big-time trouble (a.k.a. death wish) if you drive on summer performance tires when temperatures drop to near 50° or lower. The summer performance tire's rubber compound actually starts changing from a pliable elastic to an inflexible plastic (called 'glass transition') long before its temperature reaches into the 40°s. In fact, cold temperatures risk cracking the tread, compromising the tire (see image below). Summer performance tires should be replaced with All Season tires or winter tires if temperatures are expected to drop much below 50-60°. Be aware. Be very aware...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-11-17 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GregCanada (12-11-17)
Old 12-10-17, 10:19 AM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

You couldn't be any right-er!
At first I thought "how would someone from Texas know how hard a hockey puck is".... then I remembered the Dallas Stars!!!
To build on what you said.....many people think having an AWD with summer tires is ok in winter because it compensates.......NOT!
Old 12-11-17, 05:32 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought my GS350 this past May - a 2017 model with Luxury package. It came with 19 inch Bridgestone summer-only tires. I did not know about the temperature problem at all, until I read a warning about it on tirerack.com.

So, since temperatures in my area (Mid-Atlantic, northern Virginia) can easily reach into the teens during the winter, I have naturally been considering all-season tires for my next set. The problem: If I go all-season, I would definitely want tires in the Ultra-high performance all-season category. I am partial to Michelin tires. They have an excellent offering in this category, but not in my size - I would have to go from 235/40 19 to 245/40 19. Although this size would still fit the wheels I have, I have two concerns: First, clearance - since the tires in my original size are already upsized from standard equipment, a move to this bigger size is larger still. Could this cause a problem? Anyone use the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in this higher size on a GS-350? How far would the speedometer be off? Would it cause any other problems with Navigation, etc.?

Also, I normally buy tires at Costco. They are very picky about installing only what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer - so I assume they would not want to install a size that was not original equipment on my GS. Do other tire dealers share this concern?
Old 12-11-17, 06:55 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

It is less than 1% off. You will be perfectly fine with everything.
The following users liked this post:
btanchors (12-11-17)
Old 12-11-17, 09:15 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I am in the same boat. The MXM-4s that come with the F-sport are fine in the rain or dry roads but just a little bit of driving around on them in the snow..... that **** is scary. So for now I am basically dodging the snow whenever I can....

I am thinking P245/40/R19.... too... maybe gain some slightly better pothole resistance, too....

-Mike