LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 LS460 front wheel bearing replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 10:41 AM
Jetmech
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 LS460 front wheel bearing replacement question

I have a bad front driver side wheel bearing. Is the hub assy replacement somthing I can diy or are special tools needed ? Thanks!
Old 12-11-17, 12:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

No special tools needed, the only problem you could run into is if the wheel bearing is rusted to the steering knuckle, then you'll really have to hammer or air chisel it off.
Old 12-14-17, 10:35 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 223 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
I have a bad front driver side wheel bearing. Is the hub assy replacement somthing I can diy or are special tools needed ? Thanks!
How did you know your wheel bearing is bad, i.e., what are the signs/symptoms?
Old 12-14-17, 02:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Mine was a low pitched humming in sweeping turns.
The following users liked this post:
yyymmm31 (12-14-17)
Old 12-15-17, 06:30 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
No special tools needed, the only problem you could run into is if the wheel bearing is rusted to the steering knuckle, then you'll really have to hammer or air chisel it off.
Not easy by any means, I had one that was bad, and we didn't have a powered chisel or anything. Let's just say about 5 hours later we got it out. A nightmare..
Old 12-15-17, 01:07 PM
Jetmech
Driver School Candidate

I know the bearing is bad because it makes the grinding noise that is associated with a worn bearing. Also when I turn the hub it feels rough. I am having a problem getting access to the lower aft wheel hub mount bolt because of interference with the lower control arm. I do not have the SST spacers that alldata advises to use when disassembling the control arms & such. I was thinking about taking the upper arms loose from the steering knuckle in hopes that it will allow me to pivot the top of the upper knuckle outboard giving me the necessary clearance to get the last bolt out. If you please, how did you get access to the lower aft wheel hub bolt? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
yyymmm31 (12-15-17)
Old 12-15-17, 04:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I know the bearing is bad because it makes the grinding noise that is associated with a worn bearing. Also when I turn the hub it feels rough. I am having a problem getting access to the lower aft wheel hub mount bolt because of interference with the lower control arm. I do not have the SST spacers that alldata advises to use when disassembling the control arms & such. I was thinking about taking the upper arms loose from the steering knuckle in hopes that it will allow me to pivot the top of the upper knuckle outboard giving me the necessary clearance to get the last bolt out. If you please, how did you get access to the lower aft wheel hub bolt? Thanks!
Use an extension to get to the bolt to loosen it all the way, and if you can't actually physically remove the bolt because of clearance issues, just leave it in the steering knuckle...as long as it's unscrewed from the wheel bearing you'll be fine. You don't need to remove the control arms for this job. I'd hate to see you go through that trouble.
Old 12-16-17, 08:22 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

You need a "crow's foot" to get to the one hub bolt.
Old 12-23-17, 08:24 PM
Jetmech
Driver School Candidate

Crows foot was a no go as well. Not enough clearance for that. I ended up buying a set of low profile sockets with universal heads and that just barely fit. Once I got that last bolt out the hub came off with about 50 whacks with the slide hammer. Then I cleaned off all the corrosion, applied some antisieze and slapped the new hub assy in. I pulled out my noisy subwoofer too. I am going to repair it as soon as my speaker adhesive arrives from amazon. Thankyou all for your assistance.
Old 12-27-17, 04:15 PM
Ls460kidd
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates on this
Old 05-16-18, 05:21 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

+ 1 as I'm getting ready to have my drivers side done. Should I do both sides?
Old 05-24-18, 03:56 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

So I will need a new knucle and wheel bearing. Four hours of his banging and my Indy cannot separate them. 104,000 miles.
Old 05-24-18, 07:40 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos236
So I will need a new knucle and wheel bearing. Four hours of his banging and my Indy cannot separate them. 104,000 miles.
My Indy used heat as well as hammering
Old 06-10-18, 08:09 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

I am having a problem getting access to the lower aft wheel hub mount bolt because of interference with the lower control arm. ... I was thinking about taking the upper arms loose from the steering knuckle in hopes that it will allow me to pivot the top of the upper knuckle outboard giving me the necessary clearance to get the last bolt out. If you please, how did you get access to the lower aft wheel hub bolt? Thanks!
I just replaced my right front hub this weekend. I could not get that bolt off without disconnecting upper control arms. Multiple trips to HF to try to get such a tool to remove that last hub bolt. No luck. Please tell us the exact tool you bought that worked! I had to reattach the uppers to begin pounding off the hub. Then disconnect them again to install bolts on new hub. Then the final reconnect of the upper control arms. Of course the ball joint shafts started spinning on me as I tried to tighten them. With a stroke of luck, pliers (not good, I know) and an impact, I got the castle nuts back on and the cotter pins in.

My hub was not easy to remove. It was fused to the knuckle with lots of good old fashioned rust. I got the loaner slide hammer (5lbs) from Advance and that really was accomplishing nothing on its own. Tip: dont use your Lexus lug nuts with the slide hammer (damaged mine but they still work), get some cheap regular nuts instead.

I used liberal amounts of WD-40, PB Blaster, some ATF I had lying around and penetrating oil, repeatedly. I used a 4lb hammer, air chisel, wood chisel, spackle tool, screwdriver, pry bar and finally and most effectively, a cold chisel I picked up well into the job.

Just after taking the pics above I gave a few more pulls on the slide hammer and voila it pops out.

I wire brushed and cleaned the knuckle, got the new one on and it fixed the loud vibration that I thought was just my tires until it started clunking too. The car drives great now. Quiet as it should be. I used a Timken hub (box says made in Japan) which was well rated online but not cheap. This was my first time ever changing a wheel hub. Luckily I had it jacked up in my garage so I could work on it at my own pace. Started yesterday, got the hub off this morning. I will be tackling the left front in the near future (already have part). I think I will buy the 10 lbs slide hammer for that job or maybe the "hub buster." Definitely a doable DIY if you have the patience and time. Wear hearing/eye protection.
Old 06-13-18, 08:19 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
I just replaced my right front hub this weekend. I could not get that bolt off without disconnecting upper control arms. Multiple trips to HF to try to get such a tool to remove that last hub bolt. No luck. Please tell us the exact tool you bought that worked! I had to reattach the uppers to begin pounding off the hub. Then disconnect them again to install bolts on new hub. Then the final reconnect of the upper control arms. Of course the ball joint shafts started spinning on me as I tried to tighten them. With a stroke of luck, pliers (not good, I know) and an impact, I got the castle nuts back on and the cotter pins in.

My hub was not easy to remove. It was fused to the knuckle with lots of good old fashioned rust. I got the loaner slide hammer (5lbs) from Advance and that really was accomplishing nothing on its own. Tip: dont use your Lexus lug nuts with the slide hammer (damaged mine but they still work), get some cheap regular nuts instead.

I used liberal amounts of WD-40, PB Blaster, some ATF I had lying around and penetrating oil, repeatedly. I used a 4lb hammer, air chisel, wood chisel, spackle tool, screwdriver, pry bar and finally and most effectively, a cold chisel I picked up well into the job.

Just after taking the pics above I gave a few more pulls on the slide hammer and voila it pops out.

I wire brushed and cleaned the knuckle, got the new one on and it fixed the loud vibration that I thought was just my tires until it started clunking too. The car drives great now. Quiet as it should be. I used a Timken hub (box says made in Japan) which was well rated online but not cheap. This was my first time ever changing a wheel hub. Luckily I had it jacked up in my garage so I could work on it at my own pace. Started yesterday, got the hub off this morning. I will be tackling the left front in the near future (already have part). I think I will buy the 10 lbs slide hammer for that job or maybe the "hub buster." Definitely a doable DIY if you have the patience and time. Wear hearing/eye protection.
that's awesome 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Quick Reply: 08 LS460 front wheel bearing replacement question