RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rubber time

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 08:40 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rubber time

Looks like it's rubber replacement time for me. I got a nail in my rear tire, and I got it patched and after looking at my rubbers, the markers are nowhere near close, but my walls are worn down. Tire shop says it's time to replace.

So I'm looking at getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The stock tires were pretty good, but I'm looking for a little more grip. Is anybody running the Michelin PS4S? Any other tire you guys recommend?

I got quoted for $223.99 each for the front, and $296.99 each for the rear. Total $1,234.93 installed.
Old 12-17-17, 07:16 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
Looks like it's rubber replacement time for me. I got a nail in my rear tire, and I got it patched and after looking at my rubbers, the markers are nowhere near close, but my walls are worn down. Tire shop says it's time to replace.

So I'm looking at getting the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The stock tires were pretty good, but I'm looking for a little more grip. Is anybody running the Michelin PS4S? Any other tire you guys recommend?

I got quoted for $223.99 each for the front, and $296.99 each for the rear. Total $1,234.93 installed.
Am running the 4S for a couple months now. Definitely a lot more grip. Can't seem to break loose as easily as with the Pilot Super Sports. Should be big improvement on wet performance too. Still waiting for the rain here in California though. For the 4S I would sum it up as better grip and braking.
Old 12-17-17, 08:07 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Sweet!! I'm looking forward to getting them. I just wanted to see if others were impressed with them, as many others have raved about them. I actually first saw them on a Porsche(I was killing time when I was getting the exhaust installed, so stopped by a dealership down the street). I know Porsche has special made ones from Michelin, but I didn't know about the 4S until I saw them.

I was at American Tire Depot and they were having trouble tracking down the rears. I guess they are pretty hard to find. I might check with another tire shop, who knows maybe they'll be cheaper too.

Cheers,
Old 12-17-17, 08:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

I have been reading a lot of reviews and the P4S are phenomenal tires. They seem to be getting better reviews than the PSS. I would highly recommend the P4S.

Also remember to get the XL version of the tires (extra load), if you want the best handling. The XL versions have reinforcements in the tire wall so they do not flex as much as the non-XL versions. As it turns out, our RCFs come with non XL version of the SS. I discovered it after I was curious why I had to inflate the rears to 38 psi and fronts to 36 psi to get any decent levels of tire wall rigidity. As it turns out, Michelin makes the non-XL versions for better ride compliance over bumpy roads, but it compromises the handling characteristics. Lexus chose to fit the RCF with non-XL versions, but I think it should have been fitted with the XL version. The ride quality compromise is not significant anyway.

My next tires in a couple of years will be XL version of the P4S, for sure. I am OK with a bit stiffer ride, if I can gain a bit better tire wall rigidity in turns.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-17-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 08:56 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

I had no idea 05RollaXRS, thanks for the info. I will definitely let them know to get the XL version. I'm also okay with a stiffer ride, but the car handles better in and out of the turns. I do like to corner hard.

Just curious, how many miles did you get or have now on your PSS?
Old 12-17-17, 09:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have been reading a lot of reviews and the P4S are phenomenal tires. They seem to be getting better reviews than the PSS. I would highly recommend the P4S.

Also remember to get the XL version of the tires (extra load), if you want the best handling. The XL versions have reinforcements in the tire wall so they do not flex as much as the non-XL versions. As it turns out, our RCFs come with non XL version of the SS. I discovered it after I was curious why I had to inflate the rears to 38 psi and fronts to 36 psi to get any decent levels of tire wall rigidity. As it turns out, Michelin makes the non-XL versions for better ride compliance over bumpy roads, but it compromises the handling characteristics. Lexus chose to fit the RCF with non-XL versions, but I think it should have been fitted with the XL version. The ride quality compromise is not significant anyway.

My next tires in a couple of years will be XL version of the P4S, for sure. I am OK with a bit stiffer ride, if I can gain a bit better tire wall rigidity in turns.
I'm running RCF base wheels (my favorite BTW) on my ISF with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19, Bridgestone S-04. I like 'em a LOT

You're in luck, the PS4 is only available in XL in the stock RCF sizes. I agree, you don't want SL tires on the RCF. I didn't know that was the case until you pointed it out The ISF came with XL tires, albeit they were undersized, but they were XL. What the heck was Lexus thinking.

I'm running base RCF wheels (my favorite) on my ISF with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions. I like 'em a LOT

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-17-17 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 09:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I had no idea 05RollaXRS, thanks for the info. I will definitely let them know to get the XL version. I'm also okay with a stiffer ride, but the car handles better in and out of the turns. I do like to corner hard.

Just curious, how many miles did you get or have now on your PSS?
My RCF is close to 15,000 KM (9375 miles or thereabouts). I purchased it at about 8500 miles. The PSS probably have about 40% or so more tread left on them. My RCF is hibernating till around March or so. Probably, I will need new tires after 2 seasons.

Here is a link at tirerack for the XL version of the P4S. You can see the XL written against some of the tires, but not the others. I checked my RCF's tire walls and there was no XL on them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2015&autoModel=RC+F&autoModClar=&frontWidth=255%2F&frontRatio=35&frontDiameter=19&frontSortCode=57430&rearWidth=275%2F&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=19&rearSortCode=57751

Direct link to P4S XL

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...F&autoModClar=

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-17-17 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 09:33 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

What about the Limited Edition Premium Touch PS4S? Is that anything worth spending a little more for?

Nevermind, as I wrote that I noticed that option only came up for the front tires for 255/35ZR19.
Old 12-17-17, 09:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm running RCF base wheels (my favorite BTW) on my ISF with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19, Bridgestone S-04. I like 'em a LOT

You're in luck, the PS4 is only available in XL in the stock RCF sizes. I agree, you don't want SL tires on the RCF. I didn't know that was the case until you pointed it out The ISF came with XL tires, albeit they were undersized, but they were XL. What the heck was Lexus thinking.

I'm running base RCF wheels (my favorite) on my ISF with 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions. I like 'em a LOT

Lou

Yeah, when I bought my RCF, I was able to separate the suspension stiffness from the tire roll. When the temperature dipped below 6 - 7 C, the car became extremely stiff and the rear end would kick out very easily rolling into a turn in 1st gear, but then softened up when I drove it in temperatures over 14 - 15C. That established my theory that the tires are too soft. So, I started playing around with the pressures. I had to get the rears at around 38 PSI and fronts to around 36 PSI to get the roll stiffness I was looking for from the tires. Then, I started researching online and found out about the XL versions and the non XL version. Once I started reading up on them, I found out the difference. I went immediately in my parking garage and checked my RCF. Sure enough, non-XL versions. It all started to make sense.

Like you said, the P4S apparently do come only in the XL versions. The PS2, which came with the ISF also were only available in XL version, from what I remember. I read somewhere the P4S are the true successor to the PS2 tires. Clearly, Lexus was trying to make it as daily driver friendly, which is why they selected non-XL versions on the RCF.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-17-17 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 11:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I recently (October) bought a set of 4 tires for my RCF online from Discount Tires with FREE DELIVERY AND $70 REBATE (just before Thanksgiving, they offered $100 rebate). Since I was not in SoCal I couldn't get America's Tires to do the tires (will be a little lower in price).

I went with Micheline PS/ AS/3+ and I "UPSIZED" a bit. These are "XL" rated.

If you are going to encounter freezing temperatures, then you may want to consider the "AS" tires as the ones I got. Recently ambient temperatures dropped to mid 20's to low 30's and I still got good grip. Still good in the rain too.

Please see attached below. (Installation was extra).

The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (12-18-17)
Old 12-18-17, 08:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Discount Tire and America's Tire are the same.

Lou
Old 12-18-17, 10:27 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, but if you buy online......it goes through Discount Tires. America's Tires are physical stores only??? I have had EXCELLENT experience with both.

^^^^Discount Tire and America's Tire are the same.

Lou
Old 12-19-17, 01:08 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

So there is room for a little more rubber on the rims. Does that play any risks? I wouldn't mind a little more rubber on the road, especially in the rear.
Old 12-19-17, 02:16 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

So there is room for a little more rubber on the rims. Does that play any risks? I wouldn't mind a little more rubber on the road, especially in the rear.

Ill be doing this once its time
Old 12-19-17, 02:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I'd be careful with that setup. You'll be reversing the stagger, you'll have a larger OD in front than the rear. I'd be careful with that.

Lou

Quick Reply: Rubber time