Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where have all the big personal-luxury coupes gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-17, 11:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Plenty of these coupes around - i see a bunch of new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, ATS, RC, Q60, 4series, A5/S5, Sclass coupe, Cclass, Eclass, new LC500 then you have Bentley GT, AstonMartin DB11, RR

If Ford had any sense, they would take the Mustang platform and develop a luxury coupe priced at around $50-60k with the V8. I personally know several ppl that dont want the whole Mustang stigma and somewhat cheap interior (although its a lot better). It may not sell a whole lot but it would generate a ton of buzz for Lincoln if done right with great styling.

Also would LOVE to see a new Riviera with RWD/AWD and a V8.
Its crazy to me why Ford and GM are so conservative especially they see how well the Mustang and Camaros sell. There are lots of buyers that would get a new version of Lincoln Mark VIII or Buick Riviera focused on luxury ride and interior but with big V8 power. If they price them $50-60k, they would sell a bunch.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-24-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-24-17, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Plenty of these coupes around - i see a bunch of new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, ATS, RC, Q60, 4series, A5/S5, Sclass coupe, Cclass, Eclass, new LC500 then you have Bentley GT, AstonMartin DB11, RR

If Ford had any sense, they would take the Mustang platform and develop a luxury coupe priced at around $50-60k with the V8. I personally know several ppl that dont want the whole Mustang stigma and somewhat cheap interior (although its a lot better). It may not sell a whole lot but it would generate a ton of buzz for Lincoln if done right with great styling.

Its crazy to me why Ford and GM are so conservative especially they see how well the Mustang and Camaros sell. There are lots of buyers that would get a new version of Lincoln Mark VIII or Buick Riviera focused on luxury ride and interior but with big V8 power. If they price them $50-60k, they would sell a bunch.
There was a rumor a few years ago that Lincoln would get a RWD coupe. I think that plan has since been put on hiatus though as they focus on CUVs. Still, a Lincoln coupe with the 400hp 3.0T V6 would be a hoot.

The Buick Avista concept was stunning.

Old 12-24-17, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There was a rumor a few years ago that Lincoln would get a RWD coupe. I think that plan has since been put on hiatus though as they focus on CUVs. Still, a Lincoln coupe with the 400hp 3.0T V6 would be a hoot.

The Buick Avista concept was stunning.

I saw this Buick at the auto show in Toronto. Stunning yes. Interesting how both Lexus and Buick had a 2 door coupes roped of but Lexus was the only one who went ahead with production.
Old 12-24-17, 12:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I think CAFE regs are the reason Ford and GM haven't done this. I've been carping on Cadillac to offer some LS V8 love to the ATS, CTS, and CT6 for around that 50-70k mark. IMO ATS-V should have had the 460hp LT1 from the Corvette in it, not the twin turbo V6. But no, Cadillac can't sell cars with the best engines GM makes, its not trendy to have big displacement V8's, they tax them too much in Europe(where we sell 4 cars), and the Chinese are a bunch of cheap bastards and only want the best fuel economy, god forbid we sell them and the Europeans different engines than what we sell in America.
Old 12-24-17, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
They haven't gone anywhere. You just need to open your savings account more

I mentioned the big C-class coupe earlier. But the average Car-Buyer-Joe doesn't have 120K+ of spare change jingling around in his or her pocket....or 75K for a CLS coupe....or 60K for an E-class coupe.
Old 12-24-17, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Happy Holiday, everyone, BTW.....Signing off for the night.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-24-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 12:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Americans stopped producing RWD based sedans, outside of high performance versions, and these big coupes that were based on those sedans have also gone away. The last ones were probably Ford Thunderbird and Lincoln Mark VIII.
Old 12-25-17, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I mentioned the big C-class coupe earlier. But the average Car-Buyer-Joe doesn't have 120K+ of spare change jingling around in his or her pocket....or 75K for a CLS coupe....or 60K for an E-class coupe.
C300 coupe starts at 44k. Hardly out of reach for many.
Going back to your first post, it asks what happened to huge, space inefficient, bad handling, hard to park and get in and out of, huge heavy doors, poorly built 70s era american coupes. pretty obvious... like dinosaurs they became extinct. is there an opportunity for them today? No.but as has been mentioned there's still plenty of coupes out there.
Old 12-25-17, 12:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Going back to your first post, it asks what happened to huge, space inefficient, bad handling, hard to park and get in and out of, huge heavy doors, poorly built 70s era american coupes. pretty obvious... like dinosaurs they became extinct. is there an opportunity for them today? No.but as has been mentioned there's still plenty of coupes out there.
You are spot on bitkahuna.

However, even the efficient Honda Preludes, Mazda MX-6, Nissan 200SX, Mazda RX-7, Toyota Supra and Mitsubishi Starions have become extinct too - probably due to CUV/SUV utility tall wagons, and four door coupes...

Old 12-25-17, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I wouldn't call it a luxury coupe, despite the three-pointed-star in the logo.

Going back to your first post, it asks what happened to huge, space inefficient, bad handling, hard to park and get in and out of, huge heavy doors, poorly built 70s era american coupes. pretty obvious... like dinosaurs they became extinct.
Well, of course they died. That was only part of the issue in the thread. I was more or less opening up the thread as to a discussion of why they died. You yourself just gave some valid reasons.....though I don't necessarily agree with one or two of them. While Chrysler products of the period were often poorly-built, most of the big iron V8s of the period from all the American manufacturers were quite durable and reliable, and, general poor quality aside, the RWD Chrysler Torqueflite transmission was like iron. And the detail and fit/finish on GM products, in the 1960s, was arguably the world's best in mass-produced vehicles, though it was to fall noticeably in the 1970s

is there an opportunity for them today? No.but as has been mentioned there's still plenty of coupes out there.

Yes, there are some coupes, but almost no traditional luxury coupes at what many would consider an affordable price today. (like I said, I wouldn't consider the C-300 in that class). Otherwise, the affordable coupes are generally ponycars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

That’s the S-Class coupe I posted
Old 12-25-17, 02:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I guess if Chrysler made a version of 300, that would be more or less a modern version of those coupes.
Old 12-25-17, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I guess if Chrysler made a version of 300, that would be more or less a modern version of those coupes.

The original 300 Letter-Series (A, B, C, etc....) from the mid-1950s up till around 1970 or so were big two-door coupes. The later 1999-2004 FWD 300M (from the LH platform), and the present RWD/AWD 300C were exclusively four-doors, not true coupes.
Old 12-25-17, 05:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The original 300 Letter-Series (A, B, C, etc....) from the mid-1950s up till around 1970 or so were big two-door coupes. The later 1999-2004 FWD 300M (from the LH platform), and the present RWD/AWD 300C were exclusively four-doors, not true coupes.
Yes, thats why I said if Chrysler made a coupe version of the 300C. Right now the 300C is the only American sedan that is RWD based, and not a high performance or an expensive luxury model.
Old 12-25-17, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, thats why I said if Chrysler made a coupe version of the 300C. Right now the 300C is the only American sedan that is RWD based, and not a high performance or an expensive luxury model.
Chevy SS is rwd

Quick Reply: Where have all the big personal-luxury coupes gone?