Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 11:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
How much they would charge if corvette is going mid-engine? To me corvette is always a bargain super powerful American sports car that has the best performance to value. I doubt a mid-engine would start less than 100k and climbs over 200k, then it would just be a Chevy halo car that only few could afford. This is not corvette for Americans then?!
I have no problem if GM wants to seperate the Corvette into two product lines. The mid engined car, which is well over 100k, maybe 150k to 200k. Still though, they need to keep the traditional front engine, V8 RWD car at its current price of 55-70k for the base model.

If GM makes all Corvettes mid-engined and hikes the price, well they are nucking ****s. The current car has a rabid fan base in its current format, don't kill the golden goose and its 60+ years of heritage. Porsche has made some rather radical mid-engine supercars, but notice the 911 has still stayed the same over the years in terms of the look and the engine hanging over the back axle.
Old 10-16-17, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The current car has a rabid fan base in its current format, don't kill the golden goose and its 60+ years of heritage.
Exactly. That's the way I feel, too, but there are those who also feel it should be competition for the mid-engine NSX.
Old 10-16-17, 08:46 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. That's the way I feel, too, but there are those who also feel it should be competition for the mid-engine NSX.
It is a very different buyer though. NSX is a rare very expensive mid engine exotic for mainly wealthy buyers. Corvette is not rare and is a car affordable to most of the middle/upper class if they really want it. If they just drop the current front engine Corvette for a mid engine that is around or over 100K they are abandoning tens of thousands of loyal buyers who will no longer be able to afford it. It is almost like dropping the Ford Mustang for the Ford GT if the Ford GT was not so expensive.

They really should keep the regular Corvette and its basic layout since it is so successful and has so many loyal buyers and also offer a mid engined car with some Corvette heritage like calling it the Duntov or ZR1 for buyers wanting something about the base Corvette. They probably don't need a 100K ZR1 version of the Corvette if the mid engined car will take over that price/performance category.
Old 10-16-17, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I'd be for DOCH if ... I don't want to see a smaller displacement DOCH design ... IE if you are doing DOCH, ...
Honestly if the DOCH motor ... increase the power with DOCH, ... pushrod vs DOCH. Keep in mind the Corvette went DOCH back in 1990 ...
please make it stop, it's DOHC as in Double OverHead Cam
Old 10-16-17, 04:20 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

calling this car anything other then a corvette would be extremely stupid on their part.

Corvettes have always been stuck somewhere in between two worlds. This will solidify corvettes spot as a real supercar with no doubt.

I give the americans tons and tons of credit for what they have been doing for the past decade.

Lots of big engines, superchargers and cool designs have really impressed me.

I cant wait to see this, I'm genuinely excited and I will give two thumbs up to GM for this one
Old 11-30-17, 11:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Mid-engine Chevy Corvette to pump out 850 hp according to leaked document

Possibly 3 engine choices

A leaked document is creating quite a stir and raising some intriguing questions surrounding the C8 Chevy Corvette. Specifically: Could the next-gen Vette make up to 850 horsepower (edging out the Dodge Demon's demonic 840 hp)? Will the C7 Corvette remain in production for years after the mid-engine C8 hits the streets? Might the C8 get three engine choices, with not just one but two of them DOHC?

Take a gulp of coffee and ponder all of that.

Corvette Forum is citing a document shared by a forum member, which is purported to be a forecast of engine production from analysts IHS Markit that spells out Chevy's near-term plans for the Corvette, or rather, Corvettes plural.

Mind you, this is all pretty speculative since we can't know the veracity of the document, and a lot of earnest interpretation and numbers-crunching by forum members is also involved, but here's what the forum has gleaned from it:

— The mid-engine C8 Corvette, expected to be revealed at the Detroit auto show, will have three V8 engine choices: the current 6.2-liter V8, along with a 4.2-liter and a 5.5-liter, both of those DOHC, both of them twin-turbo.

— Production of the two DOHC engines has already begun at GM's Tonawanda powertrain facility in Buffalo, N.Y.

— Interestingly, IHS Market predicts the 6.2L to be the main choice of buyers, projecting 14,000 units per year before its popularity starts to taper off. That number appears to be exclusive to the C8 and doesn't seem to include that engine's application in the C7 since GM sold 40,000 units of that car last year.

— The DOHC engines would be more exclusive, with the 4.2-liter produced at a rate of 7,000 per year, and the 5.5L at 5,000. By the way, there's no correlation in the document between engines and trim levels.

— Forum members have sussed out that the 5.5-liter engine could make 850 horsepower and 720 pound-feet of torque — so likely, that's the ZR1. They reckon the output of the 4.2L at around 650 horsepower.

The document mentions a use case for the 4.2-liter engine in a "Cadillac Sports Car," but at numbers so low, the folks at the forum think it must be only for racing. Or maybe not.

— And finally, the current front-engine, rear-drive C7 Corvette will live on for perhaps three more years, with motor production scheduled to continue through 2021.

We'll get confirmation on any or all of the above when the mid-engine Corvette is expected to hit the floor at the North American International Auto Show in January.
Source
Old 12-30-17, 07:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Mid-engined Corvette's LT7 twin-turbo V8 leaks in CAD drawing

Corvette Forum has scored three coups in the past month concerning Chevrolet's next-generation sports car. The latest leak is a CAD drawing of a longitudinal, DOHC, twin-turbo V8 that could be one of the three rumoredpowerplants sliding into the mid-engine 'Vette's engine bay. In an earlier leak, a detail showing the V8's turbocharger came labeled as "Gen6 LT7," leading sleuths to believe this is the sixth-generation of GM's small-block V8 architecture, dubbed LT7.

As gearhead tweeter Bozi Tatarevic pointed out, the illustrated V8 drawing shares cues with the 3.0-liter, TT V6 LGW engine used in the Cadillac CT6, such as turbocharger placement and belt configuration. The turbos hang on the sides of the engine instead of lying in the V between the cylinder banks, with plumbing running from the turbos up to water-to-air intercoolers atop the banks. That feature is, again, the same as on the Cadillac TT V6. Also of note, it appears as if the exhaust manifolds are cast into the cylinder heads. We can't figure out displacement, but one of the recent Corvette leaks laid out a plan for three V8 engines: the current 6.2-liter V8, and two DOHC twin-turbo V8s, one 4.2 liters, the other 5.5-liters.

We await the reveal of the new coupe and some certifiable information at next month's Detroit Auto Show.
Source
Old 12-31-17, 06:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, it's possible we'll see DOHC on this one, but, like I said above, the Corvette faithful would probably frown on it. It is already a huge departure from the traditional front-engine/RWD design that the purists loved. And, though not universal by any means, Corvettes, on the average, often get an older buyer-base that is little-concerned with high-tech designs.

Agree with this, I don't think they should go the DOHC route.

GM knows how to make a pushrod engine better than anyone IMO.

DOHC not so much. For example, everyone raved about the Northstar's (admittedly impressive) output. Problem is they grenade themselves after 100k. The old 4.9 pushrod Sevilles and Eldorados were soldiering on on the roads long after the Northstar ones. Not as fast, but plenty of power regardless for the time.
Old 01-01-18, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
GM knows how to make a pushrod engine better than anyone IMO.
Have to agree, with the possible exception of the Chrysler Hemis.
Old 01-01-18, 03:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I see it as a good thing that GM may be bringing more modern engines to the market.

They put plenty of cheap HP in garages already via their OHV stuff.

Years ago I thought they would be the only US company able to bring something to compete with the Europeans (I am not just talking about fast, I am talking about the total package). I was totally wrong as Ford did the job.

I just hope the mid engine vette does not suffer from GM cheap it out syndrome.
Old 01-01-18, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I see it as a good thing that GM may be bringing more modern engines to the market.
The big question, though (and perhaps the main one in this thread) is if the Corvette faithful will accept them. I'd say the jury is still out on that one. Old-fashioned HP/torque and pushrods (along with somewhat better, updated interiors) is generally what has kept Corvette sales going.

I just hope the mid engine vette does not suffer from GM cheap it out syndrome.
One of the reasons for GM's recent success is that, for the most part, the bad old days of cheap-it-out are gone. Fit/finish and assembly quality is as good as almost any other automaker in the business now, though Kia and Hyundai seem to offer the most solidly-built vehicles for the money.

Years ago I thought they would be the only US company able to bring something to compete with the Europeans (I am not just talking about fast, I am talking about the total package). I was totally wrong as Ford did the job.
I'm still not convinced, even now, that Ford's conversion from the push-rod 5.0L V8 to the 4.6L Modular OHC V8 was that good a thing. A significant amount of low-RPM torque was lost, and required more winding out of the engine for high-end HP, which is not the way most Americans drive. I'm generally not a fan of drag-racing, but, for the record, for years, 4.6L Mustangs were getting their clocks cleaned by push-rod Camaros.
Old 01-01-18, 04:40 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

GM is crafty and can cheap it out other ways (my understanding is that recent vettes don't have the kind of heat management they need).

Regarding Ford, I am actually pointing to the V6 TT in the GT.

Regarding acceptance of the new vette, at this point it is not clear if the C7 goes bye bye with no C8 after it or if GM will do the mid engine as a higher line product above the front engine version.

As a tech person, I don't give a crap if the new one isn't accepted by the current customers, as they can still get a Camaro to cover their fast and furious.

I just want to see the day when GM offers a car that truly competes with the Europeans. It feels like Ford shamed them into doing something better that what they have been burping out.
Old 01-01-18, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I just want to see the day when GM offers a car that truly competes with the Europeans. It feels like Ford shamed them into doing something better that what they have been burping out.

Although they are not high-performance cars (with the possible exception of the sport-oriented Regal GS)......almost the entire lineup of smaller American-market Buicks not only compete with Europeans, but, in fact, are re-badged European Opels of German design. They differ only in some American-spec drivetrains and in the amount of Buick sound-insulation added for a quiet ride....but, otherwise, are almost exact Opel-replicas. And the Cascada convertible even uses the same Opel drivetrain. The Euro-origin is also the case, though to a lesser extent, with some other small GM products as well.

In fact, I've got a casual friend (a lifeguard at my indoor pool) who has an aging Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (remember that one?) I think I've got him interested in the new Opel-based Regal GS when it debuts early this year.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-18 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-01-18, 06:28 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

MM

Mostly I am talking about the super car space

But getting granular, I work at a fortune 200 Biotech Pharma and no one I work with is buying GM iron over a Euro or Japanese luxury or sport oriented product

There are plenty of GM SUVs in the parking lot
Old 01-01-18, 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

^^ does this about buick and opels have anything to do with the corvette?

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette Stingray (C8)