GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

speaking of brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 03:27 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 540 Likes on 393 Posts
Default speaking of brakes...

I noticed this groove about halfway home from picking the car up new in Texas. Can't get to dealer till the weather clears up. Is there a known issue with front brakes on later model GS's?I saw on a Youtube video tutorial that another new GS had grooves in the front rotor. The car only had about 200 miles on the odometer. This car only has 1100 miles on it. Hoping warranty will replace the rotor vs. turning it. I'm assuming defective pads or faulty caliper hardware.
Old 01-08-18, 05:40 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The only thing that will make a groove like that is on the pad (pebble, faulty pad). You can pull the tires and pull the pads - maybe you'll see what's making it happen. Mechanically if the car is braking as it should, I'd gather the system works as it should.

Not sure that Lexus would cover it (CPO?). Still under a warranty? Might want to read the details if it is.

Recently worked on?
Old 01-08-18, 07:12 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Picked the car up new with 10 miles on it. Guess I'll wait and see what the dealer says when they look at it.
Old 01-08-18, 01:37 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Anyone else have an idea what the cause could be on this?
Old 01-08-18, 02:28 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like maybe a piece of metal may have been caught in the brake pad. Once they remove the pads they should be able to figure it out. Shouldn't be like that on a new car.
Old 01-08-18, 02:30 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I didn't even realize that was brand new.

Yep. I'd just call the service department you purchased from. Any advisor should be begging you to send them this pic and then setting you up for immediate service.
Old 01-08-18, 02:49 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Something failed in the pad or caliper hardware I assume. Just waiting for the streets to dry here so I can get out there. Wish the weather here was like last winter, it's been a terrible winter here as we all know.
Old 01-08-18, 04:30 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Charley---this looks like a small piece of road gunk somehow got lodged in between the pads and rotor. Perhaps a small pebble or piece of grit, quartz or asphault. I'm not sure Lexus will cover it unless it's proven to be a defect in the parts or assembly, which I think would be tough to prove. It's worth trying, but I doubt they will do much for you. I'm of course hoping for a different outcome for you (fingers crossed!).

Was there any noise here? Man, I would think that would grind pretty badly!
Old 01-08-18, 05:05 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Actually no noise whatsoever. It is possible a pebble or something got caught between pad and rotor. Like I said earlier, I watched a video of a salesman tutorial on a new F-Sport that had 79 miles on it. I thought it was around 200 miles but actually less. In the vid. it had gouges in the front rotor which seemed like it might possibly be a known problem with GS's. It could be a coincidence, don't know. I've had pretty good luck so far with my dealer here. Sales Mgr. there told me he wants my business even if I didn't buy the car from them. They were pretty good a couple years back on replacing my grill on my 14 RX. I would assume if there's no warranty claim they don't make any $$.

The RX had paint peeling off the grill and the Lexus rep. ok'd a warranty replacement. It was somewhat time consuming due to the fact they had to remove the front bumper for replacement.
Old 01-08-18, 05:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Anyone else have an idea what the cause could be on this?
Only one rotor is like that? Looks like that rotor is done. IMO, factory warranty should cover the cost of finding the cause and repairing.
Are you sure it was not like that when you took the delivery?
Old 01-08-18, 05:08 PM
charley95
Pole Position

It wasn't damaged when I picked the car up. Had to look at some pics. I took when I picked it up that shows a clean rotor.
Old 01-08-18, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,481 Posts

It's very common to have hard bits in the brake pad compound that can cause the grooves like you have, and like in the above images. It's extremely doubtful that you have a rock stuck between the pad and rotor surface, because a rock would crush from the pressure and heat and fall away. It's also doubtful that you picked up a diamond! If this was happening on the inside of the rotor you would never have known about it, right?

You may get the dealer to replace the brake pads and/or rotor (which I seriously doubt will happen), or they may turn or brush the rotor and replace or brush the pad (maybe, but doubtful)...or they may do nothing and tell you it is commonplace and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about - the latter of which is true.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-08-18 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 10:17 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Shallow, concentric grooves like that won't hurt it, neither will rust. Purely aesthetics.

In the old days, rotors were a lot thicker and wore a lot slower with the organic pads. You could go 100,000 miles on one set of rotors, maybe turning them once during that time. Now days, rotors are a wear item. The much harder semimetalic and ceramic pads they use now will eat a rotor up. Sometimes I get 2 sets of pads out of rotors, sometimes they are replaced rotors and pads as a set. The harder you brake, the more the rotors can get eaten up. The ones on my Tundra were warped so bad I had to replace them at 50,000 despite them having plenty of thickness left. My old 1970 Buick still has one original rotor, 38 years and 150,000 miles but it has always had organic pads. The other one would still be on it but it had a bearing surface problem that couldn't be fixed.
Old 01-12-18, 08:21 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus

It's very common to have hard bits in the brake pad compound that can cause the grooves like you have, and like in the above images. It's extremely doubtful that you have a rock stuck between the pad and rotor surface, because a rock would crush from the pressure and heat and fall away. It's also doubtful that you picked up a diamond! If this was happening on the inside of the rotor you would never have known about it, right?

You may get the dealer to replace the brake pads and/or rotor (which I seriously doubt will happen), or they may turn or brush the rotor and replace or brush the pad (maybe, but doubtful)...or they may do nothing and tell you it is commonplace and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about - the latter of which is true.
Got to the dealer today to have them look at it. Something in fact did come between the pad and rotor, rock, pebble, diamond or whatever. They are going to let me know next week when service mgr. is back. Tech. didn't think parts replacement would be a problem since the car has 1100 miles on it. He said if it had more miles on it they probably would not replace parts,like 10,000 or something which makes sense. It's obviously not a factory defect but, if they're nice enough to replace, I won't complain.
Old 01-12-18, 01:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Shallow, concentric grooves like that won't hurt it, neither will rust. Purely aesthetics.

In the old days, rotors were a lot thicker and wore a lot slower with the organic pads. You could go 100,000 miles on one set of rotors, maybe turning them once during that time. Now days, rotors are a wear item. The much harder semimetalic and ceramic pads they use now will eat a rotor up. Sometimes I get 2 sets of pads out of rotors, sometimes they are replaced rotors and pads as a set. The harder you brake, the more the rotors can get eaten up. The ones on my Tundra were warped so bad I had to replace them at 50,000 despite them having plenty of thickness left. My old 1970 Buick still has one original rotor, 38 years and 150,000 miles but it has always had organic pads. The other one would still be on it but it had a bearing surface problem that couldn't be fixed.
and all of it goes into our lung.

Quick Reply: speaking of brakes...