GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2017 Lexus GS 350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 09:02 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I used to drive a lot from VA to NJ but felt like I was racking up way too many miles but now the Lexus takes short trips now so I won't be over on my miles at turn in. Guess I am too late to figure this out. I am lowered and had larger aftermarket wheels so if factory was 3-5% off, with mine, should be a bit more
Old 01-09-18, 10:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
Dam now you guys got me wondering about my 16 f-sport I'm at 12K. Are you saying you can see the miles change with the wrong count? if that's the case record it with your phone or maybe check the Lexus driver website and see if the same miles are reporting. the dealer is not going to do anything, till they have proof it's happening.
Old 01-09-18, 04:03 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Makes sense

Originally Posted by dougm213
Check to make sure your display is in Miles mode and NOT Kilometers.
5000 KM X .62 miles per Km = 3100 miles
Old 01-09-18, 04:52 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My GS350 will be six years old in May. The odometer shows 25,000 miles. Because I was getting much better gas mileage than others reported, I have checked it against mile markers on the highway, and it is spot on.
Old 01-09-18, 05:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ECL
My GS350 will be six years old in May. The odometer shows 25,000 miles. Because I was getting much better gas mileage than others reported, I have checked it against mile markers on the highway, and it is spot on.
Shhh...The odometer on my GS 350 is perfectly accurate also. Lexus must be out to get certain owners and lessees... Shhh...
Old 01-09-18, 05:30 PM
TCH2FLY
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The claim by 'mikedog139' is that his odometer is way off by a hugely significant amount...far more than what is typical for a car makers' +/-specifications, and apparently far more than the 3%-5% that guy in your provided link thought his odometer was off.

I gather that 'mikedog139' thinks his odometer may be off by as much as maybe 1,500 miles with [only] ~5,000 miles showing on the odometer. His claim is that the car should have only ~3,500 miles on the odometer, not the 5,000 miles is shows being driven on his odometer. That means the odometer is off by ~29%.

Purchased car 2 months ago with 550 miles on odometer
Took two trips totaling 1,000 miles
9-10 Tuesday trips @ 104 miles totaling ~1,000 miles
50 days of driving 20 miles/day totaling ~1,000 miles

Total mileage the car 'should have' is: ~3,550 miles
Actual mileage the car has is: 5,000 miles
3,550 / 5,000 = 29% Discrepancy
Originally Posted by dougm213
Check to make sure your display is in Miles mode and NOT Kilometers.
Originally Posted by rVague
5000 KM X .62 miles per Km = 3100 miles
Now THAT would be funny!
Old 01-10-18, 07:02 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wouldn't be the first time that mistake was made. Back in the early 90's I took a Grand Prix (last non-Toyota) in for service. Came back with many more miles. I accused and ranted before they discovered it was displaying in KM. That model had a control on the dash that was easily changed. Ahh... to be young again.

Last edited by dougm213; 01-10-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-10-18, 07:39 AM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Apples to oranges here, but a buddy of mine bought a 2016 ram 2500 new, and had a similar, yet opposite problem. Drive the truck, park it, and cut it off, showing say 3500.8 miles on the odometer. Get back in & restart the truck only to have the odo roll itself back to 3500 even. He was in and out of the service department at one of the local dealerships about this issue quite a few times, and ended up filing a case with Chrysler corporate due to the dealer's inability to correct the issue. It was never fixed while he owned it, and he ended up getting a newer model that did not have the same issue. Flash forward, and the issue with the original truck has since been pinpointed to a bad solder joint from the factory in the module that controls the odo (ecm, I'd imagine). Under certain circumstances, the circuit board would heat up enough for the circuit to break, and it would change the odo reading. I can't help but wonder if it's a similar issue here, and if so, how difficult it would be for the dealer to replicate.
Old 01-11-18, 08:23 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

@BCLexus. Where mike go? I'm interested if the 'miles' was Km?
Old 01-11-18, 09:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MustangSal
I don't know what happened to Mike!

I've been looking at the news recently, expecting to see where Lexus is recalling a gazillion vehicles to replace the odometer control unit. I've been checking Senate hearings also, expecting to see where the politicians want TV time questioning Lexus' CEO, Chairman, President and Chief Engineer concerning this matter. I've been monitoring NASA too because rumor has it that Lexus has engaged them to get to the bottom of this crazy-*** subject.

Personally, I think it is nothing more than a creation in Mike's mind...known as a figment of his imagination.
Old 01-11-18, 11:27 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been looking at the news recently, expecting to see where Lexus is recalling a gazillion vehicles to replace the odometer control unit. I've been checking Senate hearings also, expecting to see where the politicians want TV time questioning Lexus' CEO, Chairman, President and Chief Engineer concerning this matter. I've been monitoring NASA too because rumor has it that Lexus has engaged them to get to the bottom of this crazy-*** subject.

Personally, I think it is nothing more than a creation in Mike's mind...known as a figment of his imagination.
There was a related shootout at Lexus HQ from a disgruntled employee who was reprogramming modules to count 30% more mileage than actual. He died.
Old 01-11-18, 11:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

There was a related shootout at Lexus HQ from a disgruntled employee who was reprogramming modules to count 30% more mileage than actual. He died.
Sounds like he may have been a target by the Clintons...
Old 01-12-18, 09:04 AM
mikedog139
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an appointment next week and I’ll let you guys know the outcome. I’m going to ask for a complete diagnostic from the day I purchase the car and compare it to when I started tracking the mileage.
Old 01-12-18, 09:26 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I did some experimenting as I was bored.

I used Waze to track my speed via satellite and had my wife driver her car next to me at same speed. When I put it on cruise control at 75MPH, Waze says I am getting 77MPH and my wife had to play "catch up" a bit. I do use cruise control often on my trips. Don't know if this effects mileage.

I am lowered but on stock wheels this time around.
Old 01-13-18, 06:03 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

The difference between new and worn tires can be a few percentage points. In years past, I have tuned my speedometer by buying tires the percentage taller or shorter to correct the error in my speedometer. My experience with my 2013 GS is that the speedo is pretty much dead on. We drove from home to Louisville, KY & back and it registered just about 240 miles. I know this trip is roughly 120 miles one way so no huge error there.

I would download a GPS speedo app for your phone, such as DigiHUD, put it in view and compare them.

My personal experience is that a short trip here and there will add up to more miles than expected. Also, mileage is a poor indicator of use. I wish cars had Hobbs meters like planes that measure actual run time and oil was changed based on hours rather than mileage but that's just me. Sitting idling in traffic still causes use even if the odo doesn't move.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus GS 350 F Sport