Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5th Gen GS, any news yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 09:23 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a bummer if they discontinue it. My dad will be looking for a new ride in a year or so and he won't do the ES because it's a senior citizen mobile with a so-so interior. Plus it's ubiquitous and boring looking, nobody would turn their head toward it once. The current GS is way nicer looking inside and out and has a nicer interior, but it's old now so won't be under consideration.

If it's shelved then the Japanese will have no competitive luxury sedans to rival the E class, 5er, or A6. Sucks for anybody who wants a car like that but with Japanese reliability.
Old 01-12-18, 09:38 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I expect this one to be dragged out for 8-9 years. It's not a good seller, so it's not worth the R&D money.
It will be interesting to see if Lexus axes the GS line.

Recently, the current model ES peaked in 2014 with over 72,000 units in the US, while the GS peaked at the same time with over 22,000 units.
Combined midsize luxury ES & GS sales in the US therefore peaked in 2014 with over 94,000 units per year.
Note that in the US, Lexus has two luxury sedans in the mid-size segment; an entry level FWD ES, and a premium RWD GS.

The current model Toyota Crown in RHD for the Japanese Domestic Market sold 39,813 units in 2016, as Japan's top selling luxury car.
The current model Toyota Crown in LHD for the Chinese market sold 30,251 units in 2016.
2016 was the Crown's 2nd last year, and JDM & Chinese sales was 70,000 units per year, and an all new Toyota Crown is slated for release in 2018 after the 5LS.

The 2018 Crown exterior, esp rear, probably looks better than the 2018 5LS already; though I still don't like the new corny 6 side window design as much as the traditional GS 4 side window design with a BMW-like truncated trailing apex in the rear window.
6 side window designs are lovely in Audis, even the Genesis G80 & Toyota Avalon; however, so far 5LS and Crown haven't had particularly beautiful 6 side window designs IMO.

Both Lexus ES and Lexus GS are reskinned Toyota Camries and Toyota Crowns respectively.
How much does it cost to "reskin" a Camry and a Crown, and change the front coil spring and front damper rates - meanwhile using the same rear coils and dampers, and the same front and rear sway bars?
Manufacturers often only change the front coils and dampers, as opposed to changing all four coils and dampers - to enhance the dynamics of a motor vehicle.

Afterall, the TNGA platform was created to favor the manufacturing of these model variations; so why withdraw the 5GS now?

With Genesis G80 & Kia Stinger, I would have thought Toyota Motor Corporation would only take these Koreans head-on?

It will be interesting to see if GS gets axed...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-12-18 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

if a 5gs looks anything like that monstrosity, it's doa.
Old 01-12-18, 10:48 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

That's the sports version above.
Below is Hoovey's less sporty RS version.
In any case, historically the Crown and GS have looked totally different outside and inside...

Old 01-12-18, 11:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

If the next GS were to look like the new Crown, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-12-18, 12:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
It will be interesting to see if Lexus axes the GS line.

Recently, the current model ES peaked in 2014 with over 72,000 units in the US, while the GS peaked at the same time with over 22,000 units.
Combined midsize luxury ES & GS sales in the US therefore peaked in 2014 with over 94,000 units per year.
Note that in the US, Lexus has two luxury sedans in the mid-size segment; an entry level FWD ES, and a premium RWD GS.

The current model Toyota Crown in RHD for the Japanese Domestic Market sold 39,813 units in 2016, as Japan's top selling luxury car.
The current model Toyota Crown in LHD for the Chinese market sold 30,251 units in 2016.
2016 was the Crown's 2nd last year, and JDM & Chinese sales was 70,000 units per year, and an all new Toyota Crown is slated for release in 2018 after the 5LS.

The 2018 Crown exterior, esp rear, probably looks better than the 2018 5LS already; though I still don't like the new corny 6 side window design as much as the traditional GS 4 side window design with a BMW-like truncated trailing apex in the rear window.
6 side window designs are lovely in Audis, even the Genesis G80 & Toyota Avalon; however, so far 5LS and Crown haven't had particularly beautiful 6 side window designs IMO.

Both Lexus ES and Lexus GS are reskinned Toyota Camries and Toyota Crowns respectively.
How much does it cost to "reskin" a Camry and a Crown, and change the front coil spring and front damper rates - meanwhile using the same rear coils and dampers, and the same front and rear sway bars?
Manufacturers often only change the front coils and dampers, as opposed to changing all four coils and dampers - to enhance the dynamics of a motor vehicle.

Afterall, the TNGA platform was created to favor the manufacturing of these model variations; so why withdraw the 5GS now?

With Genesis G80 & Kia Stinger, I would have thought Toyota Motor Corporation would only take these Koreans head-on?

It will be interesting to see if GS gets axed...

That interior is so dull. Another touchscreen nightmare.
Old 01-12-18, 01:49 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

that crown looks like a nicer version of the camry.. i would NOT buy that car..
Old 01-12-18, 05:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

me neither.
that crown looks dated and porky.

there's something bad about its poise, and its wheels/tires look small, even though both the crown and bmw are riding on low profile tires.

Old 01-12-18, 05:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pman6
me neither.
that crown looks dated and porky.

there's something bad about its poise, and its wheels/tires look small, even though both the crown and bmw are riding on low profile tires.
Not to worry, as long as I have known Toyota and Lexus, the Crown and GS have always looked different outside and inside.
However, chassis and drivelines are shared.

2012-18 Toyota Crown Athlete [Sports]

2012-19 Lexus 4GS:

Btw, lately Toyotas have been using touchscreens, while Lexiis have been using jog dials or scratch pads...
Old 01-12-18, 06:31 PM
gmoss
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody see this?
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/...-ar176928.html
Old 01-12-18, 06:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoss
Those are just spy photos of the Crown shown above.
Old 01-13-18, 09:11 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder, where is the new ES ? Is not due to debut this year as 2019 model ? We saw some pics a while ago, but nothing since then.... Lexus is really keeping this car under wraps.
Old 01-14-18, 02:57 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I wonder, where is the new ES ? Is not due to debut this year as 2019 model ? We saw some pics a while ago, but nothing since then.... Lexus is really keeping this car under wraps.
Lexus is good at keeping new models hidden. We'll get a hint next week when we see the 2019 Avalon.
Old 01-14-18, 04:02 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
In fact my Lexus sales guy (I know, they don't know everything!) mentioned that the GS would probably be discontinued and that they would restyle the ES and add an AWD option to it.
It's funny my sales rep told me basically the same thing a couple months ago when I traded my 2015 for the 2018... I really hope they keep the GS, I love this car
Old 01-14-18, 05:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Lexus plans on following the orders right from the top that come from Toyota royalty ie. Akio, then they will have to keep the GS around. So far you have the IS, GS and then after that it's a step up to the RC, LC cars. So to simply drop out of the midsize sports luxury market would be a mistake. The 4GS did quite well in comparison tests as did the IS. The problem in particular with the present GS is its styling. Too much 5 series in the side profile and far too frumpy at the back. And the spindle nose is not working here.

Use the TNGA tech here to its fullest, plug in the TT3.5 V6 with the option of a potential F version and then you'll get some attention. Expecting the LS to carry all the sporty handling racetrack type image is a long shot and it doesn't work with flagship buyers. That's what the GS does very well.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen GS, any news yet?