RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 03:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Lightbulb DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks

My wife's RX has been solid and rattle free for the one year. However since early on in the ownership and still today, we experience the odd squeaks in and around the center console and dash. This may help some folks who posted in this thread, or may not. However, you never know so let me explain the three sources of annoying squeaks in our RX and if it helps you, great!

1. Dash panel facing the 12.3" screen.
2. HVAC controls/trim underneath it.
3. Silver cup holders trim.

All you need is a prying tool and some felt tape (hockey tape). I'll let the pics do most of the talking

1. Dash Panel:

Then snap it back down!

2. HVAC squeak:
Tape folded in half along its length and to be inserted along the bottom.

This will reduce but not fully eliminate the squeaks when pushing the HVAC buttons.

3. Cup holders trim squeak:

Fold the tape three or four times along its length to thicken it and make it shallow enough to fit in the crevice.

No need to apply the tape all around since it is too tight at the top and bottom. You may require another prying tool to push in the tape while the other is jammed as per the pic above. It is sufficient to only apply the tape as shown along the red line below:

Silver trim will now feel tight and squeak free!
The following 8 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
Badhobz (04-18-21), Denzo (04-25-21), exonw (04-30-21), GrizzlyMan (10-10-21), Oldfart (01-14-18), ppalac (01-15-18), Quantum501 (08-12-21), SoCalRX (01-14-18) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-18, 06:03 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the posting. Hope that I never will have to deal with it.
Old 01-14-18, 06:54 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the information.
I can hear some noise coming from the front of the driver side when on the bumpy road. Do not where to look at.
Old 03-27-18, 07:26 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Hope Lexus sees this and includes it in the assembly line of future RXes.
Old 03-28-18, 04:19 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks corradoMR2, I was excited when I read the headline thinking my squeak might be there.....but no. I have a squeak sometimes in the dash between instruments and side window. Not always there, I think different temperatures means it come and goes. Just not sure how to disassemble the section to put some padding there.
Old 03-28-18, 08:32 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

A couple of weekends ago my wife and I were out and about when I started hearing a squeak that I thought was emanating from the driver's side dash area. I was very unhappy as we only have a little over one thousand miles our RX. I was driving through streets at different speeds as both of us were listening and trying to find the noise. It turned out to be a plastic water bottle in the lower driver's side door compartment.
Old 12-15-18, 03:03 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Constant Rattle/Vibration on 12.3" Monitor

The 12.3 "monitor on our 2017 has started to rattle continuously as we drive. It's not loud, but very apparent with the audio off. If I very gently pull or push the top of the screen it stops completely. Most probably needs only a little felt or rubber shim somewhere on the front (or rear) bottom. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do and where did you put it? I'm sure dealer could fix but hoping to do myself so if it re-occurs I can adjust the shim, Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere. Searched with various terms and could not find this vibration mentioned. Thanks.
Old 12-15-18, 03:36 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
The 12.3 "monitor on our 2017 has started to rattle continuously as we drive. It's not loud, but very apparent with the audio off. If I very gently pull or push the top of the screen it stops completely. Most probably needs only a little felt or rubber shim somewhere on the front (or rear) bottom. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do and where did you put it? I'm sure dealer could fix but hoping to do myself so if it re-occurs I can adjust the shim, Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere. Searched with various terms and could not find this vibration mentioned. Thanks.
Id have dealer look at it in case something is coming loose and needs more than a shim.
Old 12-16-18, 06:43 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 494 Likes on 372 Posts

Your car is still new and under warranty. You shouldn't have to deal with something like that.
Old 11-27-19, 12:56 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My wife's RX has been solid and rattle free for the one year. However since early on in the ownership and still today, we experience the odd squeaks in and around the center console and dash. This may help some folks who posted in this thread, or may not. However, you never know so let me explain the three sources of annoying squeaks in our RX and if it helps you, great!

1. Dash panel facing the 12.3" screen.
2. HVAC controls/trim underneath it.
3. Silver cup holders trim.

All you need is a prying tool and some felt tape (hockey tape). I'll let the pics do most of the talking

1. Dash Panel:

Then snap it back down!

2. HVAC squeak:
Tape folded in half along its length and to be inserted along the bottom.

This will reduce but not fully eliminate the squeaks when pushing the HVAC buttons.

3. Cup holders trim squeak:

Fold the tape three or four times along its length to thicken it and make it shallow enough to fit in the crevice.

No need to apply the tape all around since it is too tight at the top and bottom. You may require another prying tool to push in the tape while the other is jammed as per the pic above. It is sufficient to only apply the tape as shown along the red line below:

Silver trim will now feel tight and squeak free!
Originally Posted by sderman
Hi corradoMR2. Just to be sure I don't damage my dash: When you use the pry tool on the right top picture (as you pictured) do you then just gently pull up with your fingers the 2 areas near the arrows?

An update to my prior post: I did bring the car in to the dealer to fix the rattle by the 12.3" screen. As I drove, the service tech pulled this panel and then replace it. The sound was gone. But the tech guy wanted to keep the RX for a few days. When it was returned he said he finally found a wire dangling down there and insulated it. I am sure that was not the problem, but the squeak was gone so I didn't make a point of it. The rattle returned about 6 months ago and I have finally decided to fix it myself.
Old 11-27-19, 03:04 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you for posting this. I am experiencing the rattle around the nav screen and cup holders. Its driving me nuts! Was going to take it in for warranty but Id rather do it myself now that I know that i'm not alone.
Old 11-28-19, 03:39 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I had noticed a squeak in my wife's 2016 ES 350.... Sounded like it was coming from the dash or the door pillar... maybe even the moon roof. Parking lots, badly paved streets, and parking lots is where most noticeable.
We took a trip from PA to VT.... it disappeared for good.

Old 11-28-19, 03:45 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

2016 RX350. Picked it up less than a month ago with 25K on it. I hear a rattle from the cup holder each and every time I put a bottle of water in it while driving. It sounds like the springs that keep tension on the tabs within the cup holder itself. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-28-19, 08:55 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cropdustef
2016 RX350. Picked it up less than a month ago with 25K on it. I hear a rattle from the cup holder each and every time I put a bottle of water in it while driving. It sounds like the springs that keep tension on the tabs within the cup holder itself. Anyone else have this problem?
I experience this as well. Im thinking of lining it with felt.
Old 11-28-19, 09:08 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I experience this as well. Im thinking of lining it with felt.
That might muffle it but likely won't stop it. I don't believe it to be a a defect. I believe it to be a design flaw or oversight.

Quick Reply: DIY - Reduce/Eliminate Console Squeaks