Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

high praise indeed from alex on autos.

Old 01-20-18, 10:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice review. Is Alex getting more verbose? The video is 30 minutes long.
Old 01-20-18, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
he was excited. plus he had a lot of people asking him questions and he does an extensive comparison to other vehicles...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-20-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When Alex does a review, he does it right. Nothing gets past him.
Old 01-20-18, 01:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It would be nice if he offered edited/condensed versions of some of his reviews. 10 to 12 minutes with fewer rapid fire facts and figures rattled off. Probably unrealistic though.
Old 01-20-18, 01:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

maybe you can start your own youtube channel... "bob on autos, alex's reviews cut to the chase in 5 minutes"
Old 01-20-18, 02:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe you can start your own youtube channel... "bob on autos, alex's reviews cut to the chase in 5 minutes"
I'll give A a call on Monday.
Old 01-20-18, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

We saw our first Stinger today. I have seen it before at the auto show but I did not care for it. This one was at the dealer.

Exterior looked good. Simple and nice. Interior was nice as well.
I will say, it will be very hard for KIA to convince customers from Lexus, Audi, BMW etc to part with those brands. Perhaps impossible. The KIA brand honestly cannot support a car of this caliber. I would say the Toyota brand (not Lexus) cannot either. KIA also has a very poor dealer network as well compared to mainstream brands. KIA Boreggo and K900 were and are both failures, I expect this Stinger to sell very poorly. I think Chevrolet and Chrysler is the perfect competitor for this new KIA. I will admit, I will be interested to see how the Genesis version of this car does.
Old 01-20-18, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We saw our first Stinger today. I have seen it before at the auto show but I did not care for it. This one was at the dealer.

Exterior looked good. Simple and nice. Interior was nice as well.
What strikes one about the interior is not necessarily the looks....though the Audi A3 influence on the dash is unmistakable. But where the Stinger excels inside (as with many newer Korean vehicles) is in the solid quality of the hardware used. Did you notice, for example, how the doors shut like bank vaults, and everything inside feels like it was intended to last the life of the vehicle?
I will say, it will be very hard for KIA to convince customers from Lexus, Audi, BMW etc to part with those brands. Perhaps impossible.
Dunno......corradoMR2, by his own confession, never thought he'd break down and buy a Kia. Not only that, but traded a Lexus for it.

I think Chevrolet and Chrysler is the perfect competitor for this new KIA.
Not sure I agree. I did, in my own write-up, list the Charger as a nominal competitor. But.....though the Chevy SS is of Australian (Holden) design/build, both it and the Dodge Charger RT/SRT are essentially 21st-century successors to 1960s American muscle cars....built more for the drag-strip (or mild cornering at best) than for the more agile, corner-carving driving style the Stinger excels at.

I will admit, I will be interested to see how the Genesis version of this car does.
The G70 will probably be aimed at the BMW 3-series more than anything else.
Old 01-20-18, 09:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

^^^MM, +1. Was not easy to overlook the brand, but I bought into the car and and not the badge. And although not part of the Stinger purchase/RC F trade, I lease transferred the IS too around the same time as my objective was to consolidate best of both cars into one. So technically two Lexus vehicles for the Kia!

I do somewhat agree with LexsCTJill on sales - it may be a challenge to hit sales targets as the pricing is not aggressive enough in the US. However, the Stinger is consistently given praise by the automotive community who have driven it, putting it very much on the enthusiast's radar, something the Borrego and K900 could have only dreamt of.
Old 01-21-18, 02:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I do somewhat agree with LexsCTJill on sales - it may be a challenge to hit sales targets as the pricing is not aggressive enough in the US.
It's also, of course, brand-new in the marketplace, so it will take some time for the word to get out. And there are, unfortunately, people out there who still think that the Koreans build junk....even after all these years, I still have to deal with them.

However, the Stinger is consistently given praise by the automotive community who have driven it, putting it very much on the enthusiast's radar, something the Borrego and K900 could have only dreamt of.
Although I (ultimately) evaluate a car for myself, as far as I'm concerned, if Alex Dykes gives something a clean bill of health, he knows what he's talking about. There's virtually nothing that gets past him.
Old 01-21-18, 07:12 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
nope, the guy is frequently off with his facts, and never offers a correction
Old 01-21-18, 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
nope, the guy is frequently off with his facts, and never offers a correction
I am not the biggest fan of the Alex reviews. They are too bloated with information, way too long and they need to be shortened up. I think he just tries to throw as much stuff as possible to throw the viewer off with information overload. Not sure if he checks his facts or not. Would be interested to know if he is doing reviews with other legit publications or these are just test drives of a dealer car.
Old 01-21-18, 09:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^m

I do somewhat agree with LexsCTJill on sales - it may be a challenge to hit sales targets as the pricing is not aggressive enough in the US. However, the Stinger is consistently given praise by the automotive community who have driven it, putting it very much on the enthusiast's radar, something the Borrego and K900 could have only dreamt of.
I don’t think the pricing is going to be the deciding factor. Luxury consumers have been faced with lower priced alternatives for a long time. For example, Toyota fans could always buy a 3.5 Camry for the same or less money money as the IS250. Forget RWD vs FWD for a minute. But people choose the brand vs the actual car. The full size segment has been downsizing their engine sizes and performance for a while now. A good example will be a V8 Genesis. Vs the LS500. One carries prestige while the other does not as much. Also, no doubt the V6 Stinger delivers. But do the 4 cylinder models?
Old 01-21-18, 10:27 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t think the pricing is going to be the deciding factor. Luxury consumers have been faced with lower priced alternatives for a long time. For example, Toyota fans could always buy a 3.5 Camry for the same or less money money as the IS250. Forget RWD vs FWD for a minute. But people choose the brand vs the actual car. The full size segment has been downsizing their engine sizes and performance for a while now. A good example will be a V8 Genesis. Vs the LS500. One carries prestige while the other does not as much. Also, no doubt the V6 Stinger delivers. But do the 4 cylinder models?
Pricing was the tipping point for me. If the Stinger was priced in Canada the way it was priced in the US relative to its competitors, I'd likely not be in a Stinger because yes, badge has a price.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger