IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Generation IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 12:04 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i'm hoping it won't be out until 2021 so i can trade mine in before the value plummets even more
I think 2020 preview, and 2021 delivery
Old 01-22-18, 02:04 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
I think 2020 preview, and 2021 delivery
If anything, it would make sense if the new GS were to come out a year prior - similarly to how the 4th-gen GS came out before the 3rd-gen IS. I'd say the GS is woefully in need of an update, even more so than the IS, in terms of staying competitive, what with the recently updated E class and 5 series to contend with.

I'm definitely wishing than an NA V6 option is available - hopefully at least a turbo V6 if not NA. It's funny - in the LS 500 I can definitely hear some tones from the current V6, if muted.
Old 01-22-18, 02:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Last time I checked, Lexus is cancelling the GS. Have you guys heard anything since? Since the ES is basically the same size as bigger, there's no need for a GS.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/fu...-kicks-its-gs/
Old 01-22-18, 02:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

They are not cancelling the GS. They've already confirmed the next gen GS is in development, including another GS F.

I would expect the next IS to be in the 2020/2021 time frame.
Old 01-22-18, 02:53 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Hmm. I heard differently about the GS. I heard that the GS line up will disappear but they will keep the GS-F to compete with AMG and the M.
Old 01-22-18, 02:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah can you link to something from Lexus saying they're not cancelling the GS? So far every interview with every Lexus exec confirmed they're chopping the GS. It makes sense since the GS is an EXTREMELY poor seller and they have an ES which is a premium platinum seller for Lexus.
Old 01-22-18, 02:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

It's covered in the multitude of GS cancellation rumor threads. We shouldn't take this one off track.
Old 01-22-18, 03:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

It's on track. It just happens to be on an additional track as well because that tends to happen in real life discussions.

Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda confirmed not only he doesn't want a next GS, he didn't want the current GS as he almost stopped it.

We'll see I guess, it is supposed to debut this year. Usually by now you see a spy shot, something. And it's not currently listed on Lexus's current model pages. So interesting cause those are waiting for the next IS may hold out if a GS arises. So totally appropriate to ask!
Old 01-22-18, 03:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Okay, I'll play.

It is definitely the case that Akio Toyoda did not want to do a 4th gen GS, so you are spot on about that. He's been tight lipped about a 5GS. Can you provide a quote of him saying he doesn't want another GS, or any other Toyota/Lexus Exec, for that matter?

Australia CEO Peter McGregor has dismissed rumors that the GS sedan will be cancelled — from GoAuto:
“The styling of the vehicle is very much moving from a traditional three-box sedan, if you will, to more of a liftback body style. And I think that that change will actually add great appeal to the sedan market.”
This is the first public statement by a Lexus executive on the cancellation rumors, and it paints a picture of the GS moving up market to compete with the Mercedes CLS & Audi A7. The four-door coupe is a low-volume, high-prestige segment, and a GS at this level would fit in well alongside the LC & LS flagships.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/08/...ur-door-coupe/

The new Toyota Crown is expected to be on a rear-wheel drive TGNA platform modified from the Lexus LC & Lexus LS, which begs the question — if Toyota is building a mid-size sedan exclusively for Japan, wouldn’t it make sense to share development costs with a next-generation GS? Could the rumors of the GS’s demise be premature?
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/07/...-gen-lexus-gs/
Toyota’s Gazoo Racing division, previously a motorsports-focused branch of the company, is pivoting to include high-performance production cars under its new Toyota sub-brand, GR. There are several projects already in the works, including the much anticipated Toyota Supra sports car being developed in conjunction with BMW and a new Lexus GS F sports sedan.
^^ This one is more interesting, as they seem confused if it means a next gen GS F or simply a re-do of the current GS F. I have a hard time seeing them re-do the current GS F if they're going to cancel the GS.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota...ew-lexus-gs-f/

Dig deep in the various threads both here and on www.lexusenthusiast.com. Look for the posts by carmaker1. I'll be the first to say that I am always hesitant about an online poster who claims to be an insider, but read some of his posts on various forums and you should see that he seems pretty legit. He has posted the development code for the next gen GS and other tidbits here and there.

So I do think there will be another GS and I don't agree that any executive has confirmed the rumors. They may be evaluating certain aspects of the GS future in the Lexus lineup, but I believe as of today, they are planning on bringing the next GS here. This gen of GS has sold well in comparison to previous GS gens. If you look at past GS sales, you can see they've always continued the car despite sales that pale in comparison to the ES. Here are past GS sales:

(PS I just realized I have to update the chart now that 2017 sales are done).

I think what we're really finding is that 1) Lexus is using lifecycles that are simply too long, and 2) they are falling behind in engine development, and will be until they release the next round of engines. I think this is a large part of why both the GS and IS sales have declined dramatically.

I would think we'll have confirmation from Toyota/Lexus, one way or the other, within the next year.
The following users liked this post:
highrev6 (03-28-18)
Old 01-22-18, 04:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

To add just a bit more, we should remember that the GS cancellation rumor was never started by Lexus, but rather by a Japanese magazine. Once that article came out, other auto publications jumped on board, further pushing the rumor while Lexus stayed quiet.

I cannot find a single quote by a Lexus or Toyota executive confirming the rumor.
Old 01-23-18, 10:27 AM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-23-18, 06:37 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I await the next Gen ISF, that's the car I want to purchased for the long-term. For now, I will continue leasing.
Old 01-24-18, 03:40 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Last time I checked, Lexus is cancelling the GS. Have you guys heard anything since? Since the ES is basically the same size as bigger, there's no need for a GS.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/fu...-kicks-its-gs/
Yeah can you link to something from Lexus saying they're not cancelling the GS? So far every interview with every Lexus exec confirmed they're chopping the GS. It makes sense since the GS is an EXTREMELY poor seller and they have an ES which is a premium platinum seller for Lexus.

Think of it this way.

Last year over 50,000 E Classes were sold in the USA compared to only 6,000+ CLS 4 door coupes, but do you ever hear of Mercedes cancelling the reskinned & smaller CLS?

Likewise, the 5 Series sold 32,000+, while the 6 Series 4 door coupes sold only 3,000+ units, but is there talk that the reskinned & smaller 6 Series will be cancelled?

Last year, the ageing ES on its final full year sold 58,000+ units, while the ageing GS on its 2nd last full year sold 14,000+ units for a combined 73,000+ units - why should the reskinned GS be cancelled???

It's on track. It just happens to be on an additional track as well because that tends to happen in real life discussions.

Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda confirmed not only he doesn't want a next GS, he didn't want the current GS as he almost stopped it.

We'll see I guess, it is supposed to debut this year. Usually by now you see a spy shot, something. And it's not currently listed on Lexus's current model pages. So interesting cause those are waiting for the next IS may hold out if a GS arises. So totally appropriate to ask!
We all know how an Camry/Avalon/ES share platforms and drive lines.
We know how the RAV4/Highlander and NX/RX share platforms and drive lines.
The Landcruiser Series and GX/LX share platforms and drivelines.

In the same way, the Toyota Crown and Lexus GS have traditionally shared platforms and drivelines.
The Toyota Crown is normally sold in RHD in Japan, and assembled in LHD in China.
The GS is just a reskinned Crown.

2012-18 Series Toyota Crown mid-life update

2012-19 Series Lexus GS mid-life update [sharing the same platform & drivelines]

Below is the spy shot of a Toyota Crown wearing the original 2012-15 4GS's 9-split spoke 18" luxury alloy wheels being tested at the Nurburgring in Germany in 2017.
This is probably the next gen 5GS in disguise; why else would they test a Japanese Domestic Market JDM and Chinese market Toyota Crown at the Nurburgring?

Here is the Toyota Crown to be released in 2018 for the Japanese Domestic Market JDM.

Originally Posted by arentz07
If anything, it would make sense if the new GS were to come out a year prior - similarly to how the 4th-gen GS came out before the 3rd-gen IS. I'd say the GS is woefully in need of an update, even more so than the IS, in terms of staying competitive, what with the recently updated E class and 5 series to contend with.

I'm definitely wishing than an NA V6 option is available - hopefully at least a turbo V6 if not NA. It's funny - in the LS 500 I can definitely hear some tones from the current V6, if muted.
Traditionally, tech flows from LS to GS, and then onto IS, such that the IS uses essentially the same platform and drivelines as the GS, but released the following year.

Thus, the 1998 2GS was followed by the 1999 1IS.
The 2005 3GS was followed by the 2006 2IS.
The 2012 4GS was followed by the 2013 3IS.
It follows that the 2019 5GS will be followed by a 2020 4IS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-24-18 at 12:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
highrev6 (03-28-18)
Old 01-24-18, 01:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Thus, the 1998 2GS was followed by the 1999 1IS.
The 2005 3GS was followed by the 2006 2IS.
The 2012 4GS was followed by the 2013 3IS.
It follows that the 2019 5GS will be followed by a 2020 4IS...
Nitpicking, I know... but, the first 4GS was a 2013 model-year car, and the 3IS's first model year was 2014. Just for anyone referencing this.

But yeah, that pattern is pretty much what I was alluding to.
Old 01-24-18, 01:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Nitpicking, I know... but, the first 4GS was a 2013 model-year car, and the 3IS's first model year was 2014. Just for anyone referencing this.

But yeah, that pattern is pretty much what I was alluding to.
Personally, I use actual calendar years of sales - as opposed to using "model years" - a concept that was popularized by Alfred P. Sloan of General Motors for marketing reasons.
He would call a model released in January 2018 to be a 2019 Model!
He's trying to make it sound newer than what is really is - to promote sales and upgrade.

I use calendar years, and I will often quote a range, eg 2012-19 4th generation Lexus GS.
When using year ranges like 2012-19 4GS and 2013-20 3IS, it becomes very confusing if we use Model Years which were created by General Motors Corp for marketing reasons.
Hence I avoid model years, which are used mostly in North America, and not used globally in other parts of the world.

Technically speaking, 3GS production ranged from 25th January 2005 to late 2011.
I've seen some range the 3GS from 2005-12.
Some range the 3GS as from 2005-11.
Clublexus Forums ranges 3GS from 2006-11.
Hence there are several variations in nomenclature, but I would not get too hung up on this matter...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-24-18 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New Generation IS