Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota RAV4 Spotted Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Seeing those videos where the Honda and Toyota awds could not pull themselves up an incline, really changed my opinion on them. Has Toyota done anything to improve the AWD system? imho there should be some disclosure on how these systems perform....otherwise buyers may get them thinking they are good in foul weather, only to find they are stuck...

That's an excellent point. You usually don't see that kind of embarrassing performance in the snow with the Subaru Symmetrical AWD systems or the (older) Audi Quattros, although the new Quattro systems are markedly different from before....torque only on demand.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-25-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 08:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's an excellent point. You usually don't see that kind of embarrassing performance in the snow with the Subaru Symmetrical AWD systems or the (older) Audi Quattros, although the new Quqttro systems are markedly different from before....torque only on demand.

I've gotten stuck with my 2011 RX. Only the front wheels spun so I started to wonder if the dealer sold me a front wheel drive version instead.
Old 01-25-18, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I've gotten stuck with my 2011 RX. Only the front wheels spun so I started to wonder if the dealer sold me a front wheel drive version instead.
Easy way to tell. If you have a differential lock then you have an AWD version. If its a blank then you have FWD. (Next to traction off button)

Old 01-25-18, 11:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Seeing those videos where the Honda and Toyota awds could not pull themselves up an incline, really changed my opinion on them. Has Toyota done anything to improve the AWD system? imho there should be some disclosure on how these systems perform....otherwise buyers may get them thinking they are good in foul weather, only to find they are stuck...
depending on what you need them for, they work fine. Even in Hybrids, which have really only small e-power in the rear, you can go through normal winter problems.
But if you live in area where you have to climb some snow banks like they do in testing, obviously these cheap cuvs with part time wont do well.

Heck I was fine on my IS220d RWD this winter on a mountain, even with some uncleared roads, it required some managment on the uphill but nothing out of ordinary.
Old 01-25-18, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Easy way to tell. If you have a differential lock then you have an AWD version. If its a blank then you have FWD. (Next to traction off button)
Or, just simply look under the car and see if there is a fore/aft driveshaft and rear-differential going to the rear wheels. That's the most foolproof way of all, though stooping or bending down that low can be difficult for some people.
Old 01-25-18, 01:18 PM
Hoovey689

Or, just simply look under the car and see if there is a fore/aft driveshaft and rear-differential going to the rear wheels. That's the most foolproof way of all, though stooping or bending down that low can be difficult for some people.
lmao yeah ok tell that to the poor old lady who has to get down on her hands and feet to look at the undercarriage and has no clue what she's looking at, when one could simply peer though the window or open the door to see if the car has the locking diff. (applicable to the Lexus RX we're talking about)
Old 01-25-18, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

lmao yeah ok tell that to the poor old lady who has to get down on her hands and feet to look at the undercarriage and has no clue what she's looking at, when one could simply peer though the window or open the door to see if the car has the locking diff. (applicable to the Lexus RX we're talking about)
Well, that's why I said it would be difficult for some people. I wasn't implying that an 80-year old woman should do it....in fact, most of the time, I'm glad to help out older people myself, even though I'm no spring chicken.

But you also have a flaw in your argument. An old person with bad eyesight and/or limited auto-knowledge is not likely to know what a differential-lock switch or drive-mode **** is, either.
Old 01-26-18, 09:50 AM
Hoovey689

Well, that's why I said it would be difficult for some people. I wasn't implying that an 80-year old woman should do it....in fact, most of the time, I'm glad to help out older people myself, even though I'm no spring chicken.

But you also have a flaw in your argument. An old person with bad eyesight and/or limited auto-knowledge is not likely to know what a differential-lock switch or drive-mode **** is, either.
Which is why I said it was applicable to the RX and the member who asked about it
Old 01-26-18, 11:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

I know I was just pointing out how useless these supposed AWD systems are.
Old 01-26-18, 04:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Definitely looks like it'll take cues from the FT-AC concept car

I agree, mixed in with the prior gen's front end.

Old 03-05-18, 09:09 AM
praveenc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Render

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/fu...xt-generation/

If it actually looks somewhat like this, I’ll be impressed.
Attached Thumbnails 2019 Toyota RAV4 Spotted Testing-c6566425-0ebe-446e-b964-b7176f7359eb.jpeg  
Old 03-05-18, 09:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

That looks slick.
Old 03-05-18, 09:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by praveenc

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/02/fu...xt-generation/

If it actually looks somewhat like this, I’ll be impressed.
The back reminds me of the Rogue.
Old 03-05-18, 12:39 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't it look like the production version of the FT-AC concept which i thought is going to be an all new vehicle positioned between the Rav4 and Highlander / 4runner ?

If this how the new Rav4 ends up looking i will be impressed !
Old 03-06-18, 01:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Shove the V6 back in there!!!!!! This being quite a few hundred pounds lighter than the Highlander, it will totally rock!

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota RAV4 Spotted Testing