GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 06:04 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Autel support claims the TS601 and TS608 will read live data while vehicle is traveling.

These two might be able to read live data, but looks like it needs to be connected on OBD port in order to read the live TPMS data. Does not look like it can wirelessly reading live TPMS data since it can not register sensor ID on the unit to do so. Compare to TS 401, those are more advanced tools that have the interface to perform certain ID programing with the ECU in the car.
Old 01-27-18, 02:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,618 Likes on 2,369 Posts

Interesting seeing where these OBD modules are going with multi functionality. Too bad it doesn't display actual tire pressure too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Corr...851619985.html

Old 04-26-18, 02:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Default TPMS Light

I got the TPMS light the other day and then it went away. Today came on and didn't go away. Unfortunately I have my TS with me this week. That would be a nice one if OBD Fusion or Torque could read that.

Hopefully just a sensor going bad. Battery is probably dying. I might just replace them all if that is the case.

All tires to spec including the spare for PSI.

Last edited by Acrad; 04-26-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 03:13 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 842 Likes on 583 Posts

Seems too soon for a battery. I don't recall, is the battery replaceable or is it a disposable unit ?
Old 04-26-18, 03:20 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

I got the TPMS light the other day and then it went away. Today came on and didn't go away. Unfortunately I have my TS with me this week. That would be a nice one if OBD Fusion or Torque could read that.

Hopefully just a sensor going bad. Battery is probably dying. I might just replace them all if that is the case.

All tires to spec including the spare for PSI.
Could be just changing season and temp causing the variation of reading by TPMS.....
Old 04-26-18, 03:32 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

EDIT: I'm sure if one wanted to go the extra mile they could compromise the sealing and change batteries but they aren't designed to be replaced. I bought (4) OEM TPMS for my winter tires last year for $150

EDIT2: I think there is a TPMS transceiver in the back area but can't remember. I'll need to look in FSM.

Granted I have 11 years on stock batteries on my G35x but looks like 5-10 years is average life.

http://www.counterman.com/is-it-nece...eds-new-tires/

They are all reading 35 psi. I'm gonna buy another TS cable... I need to keep one around at my cabin for this. Not knowing is bugging me. Hopefully none of the custom OBD PIDs I was playing around with caused this. I have had my ARB fridge plugged into a Suaoki battery pack that draws off the 100W outlet in back all week. Maybe some kind of weird electrical interference. I run it through the battery since it can only draw around 75W for charging and keeps it running when the car is off as well.

Last edited by Acrad; 04-26-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 04:52 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I hope you can ping point which one. I read some guy got a replacement, registered it in TS to replace the bad one and put it in the glove compartment until it's time to change the tires and replace it.
Is there an easy way to find out which TPMS is registered to which tire? Or you have to hook them up to TS and let out some air and check each one?
Old 04-26-18, 05:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I think one would have to keep the spare sensor in a pressurized container to activate it. That would be a good workaround.

I think some of the 3rd party readers can wake up and identify the code in each tire. I don't have one of those though. I'll have to let air out and check each one. I did document my winter tires and spare....I just never got around to doing it with this set. In the meantime at least it is a fairly benign problem once I checked pressure on everything and it was fine. First time it happened was same day I crunched my bumper... probably just a red herring coincidence but makes you think. Looks like TPMS ECU unit is in the left rear area from what I can tell. Pretty cheap part if that is what is needed for less than $50.... saw one going for $25 too.
Old 04-27-18, 06:53 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
Could be just changing season and temp causing the variation of reading by TPMS.....
This happens to me a lot. Also - check your spare. My light came on last fall and it was the spare tire that was down in the 20-something range.
Old 04-27-18, 08:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I would normally think that about seasons but we've actually had a warming trend with temps in the mid-70's. Fortunately I was able to get at the valve stem on the spare and it is reading around 35 psi as well. I did have one sensor go bad years ago on my Infiniti that went bad reading pressure 10 lbs low. It does a one minute flash and then goes solid. I think that is supposed to mean communications problem or bad sensor.
Old 04-27-18, 01:13 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I hope you can ping point which one. I read some guy got a replacement, registered it in TS to replace the bad one and put it in the glove compartment until it's time to change the tires and replace it.
Is there an easy way to find out which TPMS is registered to which tire? Or you have to hook them up to TS and let out some air and check each one?
if you were to do that, you would have to have the TPMS in a pressurized container or else you would have the light still stay on since that sensor would read 0 PSI.

Techstream doesn't specify where each tire is located. It just gives a list of the 5 Hexadecimal codes for each reader and the appropriate readings for each.

I think one would have to keep the spare sensor in a pressurized container to activate it. That would be a good workaround.

I think some of the 3rd party readers can wake up and identify the code in each tire. I don't have one of those though. I'll have to let air out and check each one. I did document my winter tires and spare....I just never got around to doing it with this set. In the meantime at least it is a fairly benign problem once I checked pressure on everything and it was fine. First time it happened was same day I crunched my bumper... probably just a red herring coincidence but makes you think. Looks like TPMS ECU unit is in the left rear area from what I can tell. Pretty cheap part if that is what is needed for less than $50.... saw one going for $25 too.
I recently bought some aftermarket wheels and had them install TPMS sensors while they were mounting the tires. They however did not provide me with the codes for each of the sensors, they told me I had to follow the Manufacturer's procedures for programming the TPMS. For those who haven't gone through the procedure, pretty hard to do without the code for the sensor. I have a techstream cable so I didn't want to go to the dealership or a shop to get this done. I ended up getting the Autel TS401 to read the sensors. Its a pretty neat tool, about $140 from Amazon, it will give you the code from each of the sensors as well as the readings from it so I don't have to go to techstream to get readings. Once I got the codes, I entered them into techstream and I was good to go. I now keep the TS401 with me so I can get tire readings without having to remove the cap.
Old 04-27-18, 01:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I made sure to note the sensor codes before I had them mounted in my new winter tires last year. I will have to do the pressure drop for these current tires.

I can't find the thread right now but on one of the Prius forums I saw yesterday a guy used one of those really heavy duty paper clips on the TPMS sensor and it apparently exerted pressure in the sensor area... this was enough to trick it that there was around 35lbs of pressure. I've seen the ideas about putting the sensors in a pressurized container too.
Old 04-29-18, 07:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Go figure light went out within a mile of my cabin. This is probably a red herring but I had a 3rd party TPMS receiver inside vehicle before that I removed today... I'm using it while towing as it has TPMS sensors on the trailer tires. I removed that today. I can't see how related as it is just a receiver. Might hook up TS tomorrow now that I am home just to see if there are any residual codes.
Old 04-29-18, 10:27 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Acrad, I have been having something funky with my tpms since I switched off the winters last month. Aparantly any time my wife parks in the garage and the 4 winter tires are the, the light goes off - then 30 miles later, the light begins to blink and turns on. I had pep boys “reset” the tpms but honestly don’t know that they did it correctly because now it on and not resetting when we park in the garage.

i am thinking it could be the spare. Regardless, I will take it to discount tire this week (they’ll reset for free if you bought your tires there - I believe they will swap them for free also if you bought your winters there too. I like to do it myself but given this tpms issue I may not in the future).
Old 04-30-18, 02:40 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It kinda sounds whoever originally reset it left the winter TPMS sensor codes stored so when you go near tires it thinks they might be installed.

Do you have Techstream to look at?

I just looked at mine mine and it was code C2122 "Cannot Receive Data from the Transmitter ID 2 (Main). It's currently reading but might be on it's way out too.

I need to determine which tire that is. I already identified my spare and ID 2 is not that one. If this code keeps coming up I'm going to proactively replace that TPMS sensor once I identify it.

Originally Posted by caesosa
Acrad, I have been having something funky with my tpms since I switched off the winters last month. Aparantly any time my wife parks in the garage and the 4 winter tires are the, the light goes off - then 30 miles later, the light begins to blink and turns on. I had pep boys “reset” the tpms but honestly don’t know that they did it correctly because now it on and not resetting when we park in the garage.

i am thinking it could be the spare. Regardless, I will take it to discount tire this week (they’ll reset for free if you bought your tires there - I believe they will swap them for free also if you bought your winters there too. I like to do it myself but given this tpms issue I may not in the future).

Quick Reply: TPMS / TPWS Questions/Comments/Concerns