Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I don't know if it counts as a fad if it lasted 25 years. And Ford had the same thing on the Super Duty from 99-16.

On the Ram, it hasn't really lasted 25 years. Today's Ram fenders are nothing like what we saw in the 1990s. But, yes, back in the 1990s, it was a very effective styling tool, and significantly increased sales.
Old 01-26-18, 06:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

didn't think they could make that fascia uglier.. I was wrong.
Old 01-26-18, 11:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

This will come as a shock to many of you.

I am not a fan. I love the interior, but the exterior just doesnt do it for me. I actually like the F150's exterior styling better than this.

I am going to hold on to my truck for awhile. But due to a recent customer service experience (i will elaborate more once its taken care of), I will never buy another new FCA product. If I own another one, it will be used and they will never get another dime of my money.

it seems like since 94, ram's look good in cycles. 94-97 were great. 97-01 were meh. 02-05 were great. 06-08 were fugly. 09-18 were awesome. A cut above anything else in the segment really. The 19's... back to meh. They should be doing another facelift around 2022 and by 2025 I will need a new-to-me truck, somaybe the 2022 facelift will improve things for me...if not, ill keep on soldiering on in mine or jump to Ford.
Old 01-27-18, 05:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I will never buy another new FCA product. I.
Yet there are members trying to tell us Toyota buyers that Toyota is not the same as it used to be and we should move on to untrusted brands...In all honestly, that sucks for you. But Rams come with huge discounts, so perhaps that makes up for it.
Old 01-27-18, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yet there are members trying to tell us Toyota buyers that Toyota is not the same as it used to be and we should move on to untrusted brands...In all honestly, that sucks for you. But Rams come with huge discounts, so perhaps that makes up for it.
I think you are misrepresenting what they've said. They did not say that Toyotas aren't necessarily reliable. They still make some of the most reliable and smoothest drivetrains in the business.....helped by the fact that, like Lincoln and Buick, many Toyotas tend to sell to people that drive conservatively and don't put much stress on their vehicles. But Toyota interiors and sheet metal, in some of our opinions (including mine) have not been up to snuff lately....though I noticed some sheet metal and fit/finish improvement in the new Camry at the auto show,
Old 01-27-18, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I am not a fan. I love the interior, but the exterior just doesnt do it for me. I actually like the F150's exterior styling better than this.
I'm with you on the interior. IMO 2019 Ram interior, followed by 2018 F-150 interior, and then 2019 Silverado interior.
Old 01-27-18, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn

Source
Old 01-27-18, 11:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I am going to hold on to my truck for awhile. But due to a recent customer service experience (i will elaborate more once its taken care of), I will never buy another new FCA product. If I own another one, it will be used and they will never get another dime of my money.

it seems like since 94, ram's look good in cycles. 94-97 were great. 97-01 were meh. 02-05 were great. 06-08 were fugly. 09-18 were awesome. A cut above anything else in the segment really. The 19's... back to meh. They should be doing another facelift around 2022 and by 2025 I will need a new-to-me truck, somaybe the 2022 facelift will improve things for me...if not, ill keep on soldiering on in mine or jump to Ford.
Not to nitpick, but I can't tell much of a difference between a 1994 Dodge Ram, a 96, a 97, a 99, or a 2001. They all look the same to me, just different trim packages like the sport that got you 1 piece color keyed front bumper, and maybe they changed the mirror design sometime in that time frame.
Old 01-28-18, 08:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very sweet exterior styling! Love the headlights and grille- smooth, modern, clean, and aero. Totally shows how there is no need for silly and bizarre angles and squares Ford and GM include on their front clips.
Not a fan of the robo dash. Way too busy, overstyled, gaudy, and chunky (like Ford). A more integrated, carlike dash would be welcomed. I love Toyota's late 1990's way for their SUV/pick-ups: burly exterior but Camry interior. Have cake and eat it too. Today's semi trucks are trying their darnedest to make their interiors more carlike. Our Big 3 pick up truck companies, who try so hard to mimic the tough truck look, are behind and blind to the interior trend.
And truck purists such as myself prefer the truck-like structure. You will never please everyone.

Well, thats a presumptive and very arrogant statement. That's like saying "I am sorry the brick is falling off your house, but you paid $10,000 under market value, so that makes up for it".

Bull****. My truck had an MSRP of $59.967. I put $25,000 cash down, didn't trade in a vehicle so they didn't have to get rid of a Mazda CX-5 with minor hail damage. Then, I financed the balance through Chyrsler Capital to get the best rate, which also worked in their favor for profit. (I paid the loan off in full about 6 months in, but they didn't know I was going to do that). Out the door, after taxes and fees, I paid a total of $48,5xx for my 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie. Loaded with woodgrain, heated and cooled seats, rain sensing wipers, the works. The only options I didn't get were parking sensors (because I didn't want them), radar cruise (because you can't get it without ParkSense), Ramboxes (didn't need them) and a moonroof because I wasn't willing to order a truck and wait for one to get here with my configuration/color combo.

I had such a wonderful experience that in late 2016, I went back to the SAME DEALER, and ordered through the internet sales dept, FIVE 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Dually's for my business. The total on that bill? Over $210,000.

Fast forward to now, and the paint is coming off my personal truck's hood in sheets, and they won't fix it, even though 2 seperate body shops (including the one that does all the repairs for the dealer in question) said that the problem is a defect caused by poor surface prep at the factory. Everyone says "that sucks for you but you asked for it" (which is basically what you said), but if it was happening to them, with their money and time invested, they would be irate. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Not to nitpick, but I can't tell much of a difference between a 1994 Dodge Ram, a 96, a 97, a 99, or a 2001. They all look the same to me, just different trim packages like the sport that got you 1 piece color keyed front bumper, and maybe they changed the mirror design sometime in that time frame.
there isn't a whole lot of difference:

1996 Ram 1500 (from 94-97 was the same)

1998-2001 Ram 1500:

The key difference between the two was the interiors. 1994-97:

1998-2001 Interior:

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 01-28-18 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 09:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Checked out a new one of these. Limited model. Honestly, this exceed Toyota Land Cruiser territory. Just a gem of an interior.
Old 09-10-18, 07:44 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Looking at the pics it appears like only 2, the first one is some base/fleet type trim and the rest with led headlights maybe.
They have 3. Basic halogen lighting in the base trims. The Big Horn, the bi-LED reflector headlamps become optional. Move to the Rebel or Laramie the Bi-LED Reflector is standard. Get to the Longhorn and the LED Projector is standard, the Auto leveling and curve-detection is optional. At the Limited, LED Projector with Curve-sense and Auto-Level are standard. As they should be at a 70k MSRP.

Checked out a new one of these. Limited model. Honestly, this exceed Toyota Land Cruiser territory. Just a gem of an interior.
I drove one last week, a Laramie Longhorn. Needless to say my previous opinion has changed. They look good in top trims in person. The base trims not so much (the halogen headlamps look rediculous IMO), The sticker on the truck I drove was $65k. There were ALREADY enough incentives offered to take 10k off MSRP. I guess they aren't moving as fast as the 4th gens did.
Old 09-10-18, 10:18 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm still not sold on it. I think the F-150 is currently the best looking half-ton on the market.
Old 09-10-18, 02:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I really like this truck. Ram Limited V8 Etorque 4x4 is what I'd go for if i wanted to get a truck

Old 09-10-18, 02:55 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Of course no one would pay anywhere near 65k. There is a reason you can get massive discounts on these. Wait for a sale you can get low 50s to mid 50s for this same truck easily.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-10-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 03:12 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Saw the same commercial a few times over the weekend during football games- I think it was a Ram Limited based on the interior. Looked absolutely gorgeous. Job well done IMO.

Quick Reply: 2019 Dodge Ram