GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lane change auto flashing mod completed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 08:47 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like someone got something similar from DiodeDynamics to work on a 200 series LC.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/one...rofit.1036776/

https://www.diodedynamics.com/smartt...er-module.html
Old 01-28-18, 09:02 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

That's encouraging too

Old 01-28-18, 09:15 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
That's encouraging too

Sent them an email regarding their module. Hoping to hear back from them on Monday. Went through their website and found the return policy.
Old 01-28-18, 09:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Thread over here on the IS-F forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html
Old 01-28-18, 11:05 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/one...#post-11453871

User Atwalz posted the Toyota relay from his LC. It’s not the same as the part number listed earlier but it looks like a 8 pin relay.
Old 01-28-18, 03:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

My only concern is if these units will work with the trailer lighting circuits and if they can support a mixed load of LED and incandescent. I thought I saw one module looking around that would have supported a lower wattage load than stock.
Old 01-28-18, 06:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Look like the SmartTap is a better choice compare the one I started this thread. I am not a big fan of make the hazard lights go crazy anyway, but do like the programmable feature of how many tap flashes. By looking at wiring diagram of factory GX flasher, the only added thing for towing package is a separate 30A power to the flasher module. I guess it is possible to make a conversion connector which separate the normal turn and hazard signals to the new flasher should do the trick. For me, not really an issue since I just don't see myself will have a trailer behind in any distance future
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (01-29-18)
Old 01-30-18, 05:14 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Diode Dynamics responded saying the GX looks like it has a universal relay, but cannot confirm with certainty that it would work. I also asked about the 30A for the towing package that hzhao referenced to, but customer support didn't have a definite answer.

Amazon has the SmartTap relay with 2 day prime shipping. I'll post pictures and try to install it during the weekend.

Looking at Acrad35751's FSM document, is it safe to say that the relay is hidden right behind the mirror controls (as hzaho alluded to)? Does the factory service manual have any instructions that you can post? Is the FSM for the GX subscription based only or is there a source floating somewhere online?
Old 01-30-18, 06:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Diode Dynamics responded saying the GX looks like it has a universal relay, but cannot confirm with certainty that it would work. I also asked about the 30A for the towing package that hzhao referenced to, but customer support didn't have a definite answer.

Amazon has the SmartTap relay with 2 day prime shipping. I'll post pictures and try to install it during the weekend.

Looking at Acrad35751's FSM document, is it safe to say that the relay is hidden right behind the mirror controls (as hzaho alluded to)? Does the factory service manual have any instructions that you can post? Is the FSM for the GX subscription based only or is there a source floating somewhere online?
You will need remove three panels in order to access the relay. First to remove the small panel with mirror control switch right below the left vent. It just hold in place by taps. Second, the bottom panel near the footwall which is hold by one screw and rest of taps, very easy to do. Last, to remove the panel under the steering wheel. I believe there are two screws and couple of taps.
ObsidianBl (01-30-18)
Old 01-31-18, 07:21 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
My only concern is if these units will work with the trailer lighting circuits and if they can support a mixed load of LED and incandescent. I thought I saw one module looking around that would have supported a lower wattage load than stock.
Our engineers took that into consideration when designing the SmartTap. It was designed to support both incandescent and LED replacements.

Thanks!
Nick C.
Acrad (01-31-18)
Old 02-04-18, 08:11 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Good news and bad news....

Good news:
Here is a picture album of removal process and the turn signal relay.
The flasher relay is very easy to get to. The FSM and hzhao's method will work as well, but I think this is easier. I accessed the relay by removing the following:
  1. Mirror and odo control panel
    • Remove the wiring to the mirror control, dash light and ODO. Press in the tabs and pull the wiring.
  2. The D-shape dash side panel that goes up against the driver side door
  3. Driver side air vent closest to the window.
    • The instrument cluster bezel will pop out as you remove the air vent.
Everything is held in by the clips. I was able to get the panels off just using my hands. I didn't need the panel removal tools.

If you wanted to remove the relay, use a 10mm socket. The wire harness on the flasher is very difficult to remove. You'll have to press on the tab and pull with a lot of force.

Bad News:
My GX does not come with an 8 pin flash relay. Forum members posted about this earlier on and I didn't heed their "warnings". You can see the relay part number and the wire harness in the pictures. I could have stopped when I first saw the relay and harness, but I wanted to get some extra pictures.
Here are pictures of the DiodeDynamic Smart Tap relay.

I'm going to reach out to DiodeDynamics to see if they have something that will work with the GX. hzhao mentioned earlier that there might be a way to convert it into an 8 pin, but I'm not sure what he has planned for that.
hzhao (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 12:42 AM
hzhao
Racer

The factory GX flashing relay has extra wires for trailer preparation. For those of you don't use the trailer at all, it is an simple conversion. Just get a female 8 pins connector tap the proper wires then using the SmartTap relay. For trailer option, I am think there is two way to accomplish this mode: 1) If SmartTap can support extra current (extra sets of turn signals), then just using the SmartTap relay to drive all the turn signals, using the 30A power for the power source; 2) If not, keep the factory flasher for the trailer part, disconnect LL and RL from the original connector and move to 8 pins connector, tap the rest of EL, ER, IG, ground, and power from original connector to 8 pins, so you will have two relays working at same time. The only thing concerns me would be if it will trigger the fast flash rate due to no loads on LL and RL on factory relay.

Since I won't be using trailer anytime soon, I am attempting to try the first option since I will be disconnect the factory relay completely.

Last edited by hzhao; 02-05-18 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 06:42 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

If the vehicle does not have a standard 8-pin, CF18 relay, we can't guarantee it will be compatible since it's not something we've tested for in-house. @hzhao, it may be possible with jumper-wires if you have the correct pins going to each location, but we wouldn't be able to tell you which is which unfortunately.

Also, if you cannot get it to function properly, please feel free to contact us for a refund: Contact@diodedynamics.com

I appreciate your write-up, and feedback for everyone on the forum!

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 02-05-18, 05:25 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
If the vehicle does not have a standard 8-pin, CF18 relay, we can't guarantee it will be compatible since it's not something we've tested for in-house. @hzhao, it may be possible with jumper-wires if you have the correct pins going to each location, but we wouldn't be able to tell you which is which unfortunately.

Also, if you cannot get it to function properly, please feel free to contact us for a refund: Contact@diodedynamics.com

I appreciate your write-up, and feedback for everyone on the forum!

Thanks!
Nick C.
Since your product CF18 "can be directly replaced with standard Toyota 8 pins flasher relay", I assume your CF18 pin layout is the same as toyota 8 pins relay.
Old 02-06-18, 06:06 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hzhao
Since your product CF18 "can be directly replaced with standard Toyota 8 pins flasher relay", I assume your CF18 pin layout is the same as toyota 8 pins relay.
Absolutely, it should be. Sorry, I was under the impression the towing package added something additional, which may affect compatibility.

If it's equipped with a CF18 flasher, it should be perfectly compatible.

Thanks,
Nick C.

Quick Reply: Lane change auto flashing mod completed