Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-18, 12:35 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I saw a black one on the street with smaller wheels so i guess non-GT version and it did not look that great or stand out in anyway. So far the pricing i have seen is not aggressive enough for me to consider it any way as a worthy luxury competitor since at the end of the day you are still driving a Kia.
In this area they seem to be changing out all the 19" summer tires for 18" all season as a $0 swap.
Old 01-30-18, 01:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

I saw a black one on the street with smaller wheels so i guess non-GT version and it did not look that great or stand out in anyway. So far the pricing i have seen is not aggressive enough for me to consider it any way as a worthy luxury competitor since at the end of the day you are still driving a Kia.
Agree, and I've always said it that it's a tougher sell in the US since a loaded GT2 AWD is 52K, same as in Canada in Cdn $$$ and Canadian model has 360 cam, heated rear seats, and wireless charging. For comparison, an IS 300 F Sport AWD in Canada is the same price as the loaded Stinger! It's priced very aggressively in Canada and partly why I bought it.

I also agree that like many cars, wheels and trim make all the difference. My car just needs a drop though...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-30-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-30-18, 02:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw my first Stinger in the wild today. Looked pretty good in traffic. Nice curves.
Old 01-30-18, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My car just needs a drop though...
Why a drop, corrado? This car already sits quite low as it is.
Old 01-30-18, 03:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why a drop, corrado? This car already sits quite low as it is.
MM, the dreaded wheel gap must go... But yes, the ingress/egress will be a tad more difficult from an already low seating position.
Old 01-30-18, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MM, the dreaded wheel gap must go... But yes, the ingress/egress will be a tad more difficult from an already low seating position.

OK, suit yourself....but my advice is to leave at least enough of a gap to get a hose-nozzle in there wth a good spray and clean things out....especially any salt, which can be harmful.
Old 01-30-18, 09:42 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Agree, and I've always said it that it's a tougher sell in the US since a loaded GT2 AWD is 52K, same as in Canada in Cdn $$$ and Canadian model has 360 cam, heated rear seats, and wireless charging.

At current conversion rate, that is equivalent to about $43000 US. More "stuff" and 9 grand cheaper. What a deal!
Old 01-30-18, 10:27 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw my first Stinger two days ago, I think it looks good and big! But it didn't wow me as I thought it would .
Old 01-30-18, 11:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

A Kia designed and engineered by the finest minds from Audi and BMW. That's how I view it.
Old 01-31-18, 09:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,694 Likes on 1,881 Posts

OK, suit yourself....but my advice is to leave at least enough of a gap to get a hose-nozzle in there wth a good spray and clean things out....especially any salt, which can be harmful.
Or just go through a touchless (water only, no brushes) wash once in a while to blast the salt out from under the car...

FWIW if I end up with one of these, totally not lowering it. Kinda want to maintain the good ride quality; after driving on the broken KCMO streets in the F Sport for a while, it would be nice to have decent ride quality.
Old 01-31-18, 02:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by oldcajun
At current conversion rate, that is equivalent to about $43000 US. More "stuff" and 9 grand cheaper. What a deal!
Yep and at that price I'd certainly buy a loaded Stinger GT in the US (even without the 3 additional features) without hesitation. $52K USD, not so sure...

I don't like the slammed look and I should have about 3/4" space after the drop (from about 2" now)

Originally Posted by natnut
A Kia designed and engineered by the finest minds from Audi and BMW. That's how I view it.
Pretty much as I do with the exceptional parts bin still from Kia, i.e. turn signal, wiper stalks, and cheap plastic steering wheel cover.

Originally Posted by arentz07
FWIW if I end up with one of these, totally not lowering it. Kinda want to maintain the good ride quality; after driving on the broken KCMO streets in the F Sport for a while, it would be nice to have decent ride quality.
On my '14 IS, I went with RSR Down springs and ride quality was 95% OEM. On my '17 IS, I wanted to try coilovers and big mistake. Ride quality was on the rough side with terrible suspension rattle noises that accompanied it. I'm trying lowering springs again and my expectation is minimal change to ride quality per my past experience and a couple owners who already dropped their Stinger. We'll see!
Old 02-01-18, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but the latest pop-commercial for the Stinger shows Aerosmith's Steve Tyler using one to go back in time.

Old 02-02-18, 06:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Just a tad over 1k in sales here last month. Not bad! https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/media...january-sales7
Old 02-02-18, 02:16 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
I like the front, but that's about it. It has too much of a panamera vibe going on. Why can't Kia be unique in its own way?
It never will be until it actually is in line with the major players. In the meantime, it will continue to cut and paste the best styling cues from the big boys.
Old 02-02-18, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
It never will be until it actually is in line with the major players. In the meantime, it will continue to cut and paste the best styling cues from the big boys.
Hyundai/Kia is a top 10 automaker globally. That is a major player.

In regards to design, there's only so many ways you can make a Sedan, SUV, Pick-up, Coupe etc.. no one is reinventing the wheel. And in regards to styling, these automakers hire engineers and designers from the competition, so of course there will be some overlap. No biggie. The problem or hurdle rather is the badge and its perception to the automotive society.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger