ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002-2004 ES Steering Wheel Wood

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 05:05 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2002-2004 ES Steering Wheel Wood

Hey all,

here is a strange one! What’s the “wood” on our wheels made from? I know LS/SC was actually wood...

i ask because the top of mine is faded to literally almost NO red, and it’s covered in little dings. I wondered if it’s something somebody has done.... pulling it off, removing the finish, re-dying, and several coats of clear?

obviously it’s not that important but I would fix it if it was reasonably doable

thabks
Old 01-31-18, 05:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

It has been done. If you sand down past the clear, and past the color to the woods original veneer. Depending on your color will dictate how hard it is to match. Lowes sells Minwax #225 Red Mahogany, which is a pretty close match to the red wood. when you apply it, keep applying light coats until you achieve the desired color, then clear it.

not hard to do, but very time consuming. If the car isn't your daily or if you have another car you can drive while yours is down, you can remove the wheel and airbag (disconnect battery so you don't set it off), and send it off to this place:

http://www.craftcustoms.com/

A bit pricey, but they do awesome work, I have used them in the past.

Oh and yes, Every Lexus car that has woodgrain gets real wood. Its a thin veneer, covered with stain and several layers of clear to give it depth, but I promise it is 100% true wood.
Old 01-31-18, 06:23 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Really!!!!! Even the ES?! That’s amazing. If that’s the case, maybe I’ll change it all... I’d like a chestnut type color. If I didn’t live in the salt belt or it was summer only, imagine if I died the leather headliner dash and rugs dark gray and did ebony wood.

Thanks for the info. I’ll do this in the spring when I can drive my Chevy during the process do I don’t rush it
Old 01-31-18, 06:36 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Curious about the crafting process, I found this;

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/thread...wheels.237826/

now im curious about the difference between “wood carved” and “wood finished”

thats anazing. Even though I am a street rod building, post-war to late 50’s loving car nut, Lexus IS my favorite brand
Old 01-31-18, 07:57 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by acarapella
Really!!!!! Even the ES?! That’s amazing. If that’s the case, maybe I’ll change it all... I’d like a chestnut type color. If I didn’t live in the salt belt or it was summer only, imagine if I died the leather headliner dash and rugs dark gray and did ebony wood.

Thanks for the info. I’ll do this in the spring when I can drive my Chevy during the process do I don’t rush it
Don't get too far ahead of yourself, because the veneer is very thin under the clear. I doubt you would be able to actually change the base color much. It is stained with a red stain from the factory, and the veneer being so thin, the stain likely penetrated the entirety of the veneer, meaning you would sand all the way through it before you got all the red out.

Might be better to go to a junkyard, and pull the pieces you need for your color change, or look on ebay. I myself am not a fan of ebony, I like the rich reds/browns. But to each their own.

A friend of mine was restoring an old Rolls Royce (1951 Silver Cloud), and he did his own custom veneer using maple, and he burned it slightly, then stained it a light color and cleared it. It looked amazing when finished. I should have taken pictures.
Originally Posted by acarapella
Curious about the crafting process, I found this;

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/thread...wheels.237826/

now im curious about the difference between “wood carved” and “wood finished”

thats anazing. Even though I am a street rod building, post-war to late 50’s loving car nut, Lexus IS my favorite brand
Wood finished is veneer over plastic, fiberglass or metal. You see this in Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc.

Wood carved is actually a no-**** piece of wood, carved, finished and screwed/adhered into place. You see this in Maybach, Rolls, Bentley etc.
Old 01-31-18, 08:05 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Just clicked the link. Apparently Lexus steering wheels are not veneer, but actually wood, carved. Thats legit! That being the case you may actually be able to change the color on that then. The rest of the trim though, you will need to replace. I dont think you can sand it enough to get the red out.
Old 01-31-18, 09:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I've used Craft Customs they do excellent work the wheel in my ES was originally black leather (bought the wheel used). The leather looks nicer than factory doesn't have the excessively shiny look to it. The colour match is exact.

Check Ebay a used OEM wheel for your car is easy to find and much cheaper than getting it rebuilt.
Old 01-31-18, 07:37 PM
acarapella
Advanced

ArmyofOne my take from that article is that Lexus does both. I’m guessing LS and the old SC were carved, and ES is the veneer. Either way, the farther I dig into this brand, the more impressed and generally surprised I am. This is my 4th Lexus, 13th Toyota product. I think I loved my 1995 Es300 the most. “Little Goldie.”

Lexus2000 your car appears to have the potential to be a museum piece in 40 years. Seriously it’s perfect. I hope is doesn’t see salt! That said, sadly my car is “disposable” in that it’s what I get around in regardless of roads/weather in the saltiest city in the USA. It WILL die a rusty death. Breaks my heart as the 4ES is on of my favorite cars in the “modern” category. So yes, a $75 replacement might be the better way. I’d still like to try a $10 fix... we will see!
Old 01-31-18, 08:13 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Im telling you. Sand it and red mahogany minwax #225. You will be impressed.
Old 01-31-18, 08:16 PM
acarapella
Advanced

I don’t have anything to loose! Just need some decent weather! What did you clear with out of curiosity
Old 02-01-18, 06:50 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Minwax clear polyurethane.

this is the result a year later:

as you can see its not an exact match, but super close.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-01-18 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 05:21 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Oh wow! So you must have had the same problem? Looks great.

I assune you brushed or ragged the stain, yes? Did you spray the clear? Wet sand and polish?

thanks and looks awesome
Old 02-05-18, 09:38 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Yes, its a common issue on older 4ES'. The lighter colors crack. my clear wasnt cracking but the red had faded to a dark gray on the top of the wheel. I taped off the wood, sanded it down to the grain, sprayed on the stain with my harbor freight HVLP gun, sanded with 3000 grit, stained again, then i cleared with the same gun. Wet sanded with 1500, then 3000, then emory cloth, then buffed/polished the hell out of it with a dremel rotary tool (be careful not to burn through). I had the wheel removed when i did this.

you dont have to spray on the clear, you can use a self leveling clear and brush it on and achieve similar results. I just sprayed bc i had the gun and it was faster. Be sure to remove the wheel from the car and mask it off really good with quality masking tape.
Old 02-05-18, 07:23 PM
acarapella
Advanced

What polishing compound with the dremel? I too have an hvlp I’ve been eager to try. This has to wait til spring, but I’m totally going to do it!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-06-18 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 05:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Any compoud will do, i used a body shop compound by 3M

Quick Reply: 2002-2004 ES Steering Wheel Wood