Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering swapping my Ram 1500 Laramie for LX or GX but need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats the previous generation Ram. The all new Ram is on another level inside:

Certainly can't argue with that.....they're both impressive.

I looked at a new Longhorn interior today at the show. Liked just about everything inside except the rotary-**** shifter...which, incedentially, Ford seems to be adopting for some of its new models too.
Old 01-31-18, 09:36 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The key factor in us keeping the truck is it is paid for. If I can just get the fuel economy and the ride back, it will be around for a long long time. I can do all of the suspension work, fluid changes, etc myself. I can't do much with the computer related stuff, but the rest of it is pretty simple.
Actually the "computer stuff", like diagnosing a check engine light is fairly straightforward and easy on any newer model American or Japanese car/truck with OBD II(1996 and newer). German cars are a lot more fussy with a much steeper learning curve in regards to their electronic systems and diagnosing problems IMO.

I assume you have a smart phone, there are any number of products that plug into the diagnostic port then sync with your phone via bluetooth. Your phone is the code reader, some code readers are better than others, generally the more you pay, the more features you get. Sometimes the code is obvious, aka engine coolant temp sensor fault, ie replace the engine coolant temp sensor. Other times it requires some research, brand/model specific forums like this one are a wealth of knoweldge on diagnosing problems, common problems usually have a thread with several pages and are stickied to the top of the forum. IMO technology has made fuel injected cars a lot easier to work on compared to even 10 years ago, much less 15, 20 years ago before the internets, when information cost money(aka a $100 physical book/books called the shop manual)

Sorry if this got us off topic, but that's one of my pet peeves, people saying they can't work on/diagnoise problems on a modern fuel injected engine. The knowledge is out there on the internet, the price of the tools/scanners has come way down.
Old 02-01-18, 07:03 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Have you looked at the all new Ram? The exterior is kind of generic, but the interior in Limited trim is amazing...
It is. But I am betting itll be over 70k new. Ill wait 5 years when the 2020's have all the bugs worked out and pick up a 2020 for 35-40k.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Actually the "computer stuff", like diagnosing a check engine light is fairly straightforward and easy on any newer model American or Japanese car/truck with OBD II(1996 and newer). German cars are a lot more fussy with a much steeper learning curve in regards to their electronic systems and diagnosing problems IMO.

I assume you have a smart phone, there are any number of products that plug into the diagnostic port then sync with your phone via bluetooth. Your phone is the code reader, some code readers are better than others, generally the more you pay, the more features you get. Sometimes the code is obvious, aka engine coolant temp sensor fault, ie replace the engine coolant temp sensor. Other times it requires some research, brand/model specific forums like this one are a wealth of knoweldge on diagnosing problems, common problems usually have a thread with several pages and are stickied to the top of the forum. IMO technology has made fuel injected cars a lot easier to work on compared to even 10 years ago, much less 15, 20 years ago before the internets, when information cost money(aka a $100 physical book/books called the shop manual)

Sorry if this got us off topic, but that's one of my pet peeves, people saying they can't work on/diagnoise problems on a modern fuel injected engine. The knowledge is out there on the internet, the price of the tools/scanners has come way down.
thats not my issue. My issue is everything within FCA's computers are proprietary. The ECMs are locked unless you are connected with FCA software (for a cool 20k). So yes, i can read obd2 stuff just like any modern car and diagnose that. What i cant to are software changes/reflashes/updates that FCA products so often need.
Old 02-01-18, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Certainly can't argue with that.....they're both impressive.

I looked at a new Longhorn interior today at the show. Liked just about everything inside except the rotary-**** shifter...which, incedentially, Ford seems to be adopting for some of its new models too.
The outgoing Ram has the same rotary shifter. The old one is impressive until you sit in the new one LOL. The new one is far and away the best truck interior. Far and away.

It is. But I am betting itll be over 70k new. Ill wait 5 years when the 2020's have all the bugs worked out and pick up a 2020 for 35-40k.
I bet they won't be that much new, mid $60s.
Old 02-01-18, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

with your business 'taking off' why not enjoy it.
Old 02-01-18, 11:05 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The outgoing Ram has the same rotary shifter. The old one is impressive until you sit in the new one LOL. The new one is far and away the best truck interior. Far and away.

I bet they won't be that much new, mid $60s.
no. A laramie longhorn now can touch70k if its loaded up. And thats the half ton. Load up a 1 ton and you can hit 80k+.

now with that said, MSRP is not what folks are actually paying. Chrysler is bad about inflated MSRP's. If it stickers at 70k, you can likely get it for 55-60k

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with your business 'taking off' why not enjoy it.
because I dont need a new truck now. I fixed mine. Drives like new again!

Old 02-01-18, 12:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Well done. And nice color BTW.
Old 02-01-18, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nice color....and nice paint job. Hopefully, it will stay that way now.

24 MPG indicated at 75 MPH? That's not bad. That's that tall overdrive eighth gear for you.

Old 02-01-18, 03:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well done. And nice color BTW.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice color....and nice paint job. Hopefully, it will stay that way now.

24 MPG indicated at 75 MPH? That's not bad. That's that tall overdrive eighth gear for you.
lol its not clean, ant the paint is still peeling off. It goes in monday for paint.

yeah it did great on fuel before I put those tires on. It will avg 21 hwy, 23 on lonnnng trips.
Old 02-01-18, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks!

lol its not clean, ant the paint is still peeling off. It goes in monday for paint.
OK Gotcha....I thought you posted the new paint.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-01-18 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 11:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

thats not my issue. My issue is everything within FCA's computers are proprietary. The ECMs are locked unless you are connected with FCA software (for a cool 20k). So yes, i can read obd2 stuff just like any modern car and diagnose that. What i cant to are software changes/reflashes/updates that FCA products so often need.
That's kind of ****ty, that you must go to the dealer to update your software. I hope updates are free even after warranty. I know in GM products, you can change pretty much whatever you want with the right software.
Old 02-03-18, 09:06 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's kind of ****ty, that you must go to the dealer to update your software. I hope updates are free even after warranty. I know in GM products, you can change pretty much whatever you want with the right software.
ECM updates, TCM updates and BCM updates are free. Nav updates, Uconnect updates, etc you pay for.

The only way to unlock an ECM from FCA is to order one from Superchips or Bullydog. They are $1500 for a custom coded ECU. Then, you have to buy the $600 programmer to make changes. Its bad.

Eventually someone will crack the rotating encryption code (changes every 20 seconds or something) and allow us common folk a way to mess with our own stuff.