Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mistake aiming at millennials?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 11:27 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do you have to be so negative? Lexus does have some nice stuff. Difference between Lexus and Cadillac is the ES350, Lexus has a bread and butter FWD car for the everyday man in the US. This is what Cadillac needs, forget the slow selling LaCrosse and build a Cadillac version.
More like pissed honestly. After driving all the three German premium brands it all boils down to same philosophy but different execution. There is something so cold about them that bothers me a lot, they are anemic once you daily drive them. That's why I was always open to premium alternative and so far only Lexus can challenge them properly and that's exactly where I get pissed cause Lexus has something Germans don't and that ability to have very low ROI because they have Toyota behind their back. That means they can take much more risk and venture into technologies very few can. But they don't. And then there is that whole Jekyll & Hyde type of thing going inside Lexus structures and product management cause most of the times their products don't match, it's like they come from different manufacturer. You could definitely tell which are made under old-school management (RX, ES, SC, LS, NX) and which ones were made by fresh newcomers (IS, RC, LC, new LS, GS).
Old 02-01-18, 12:00 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I don’t think the glasses on the engine will work in this day and age.
I dunno if I'm gonna get this right, but I think the 4 objectives in the early 80's prior to Lexus existing, for Toyota Motor, was aerodynamics, top speed, quietness, and fuel economy. I have no idea if these were requirements on the new LS or not. But when you see that the 3rd and 4th gen LS' has a .25 and .26 cd, one would think they still wanted to achieve it "just because." My dad having worked in aerospace would remind us, that's the HP number, that everyone uses to measure goodness. But, frontal area is pretty important, and also, that at 100 mph, it likely isn't going to make much difference. Which is why a GS is like .33 or something? The glasses on the hood imho were a just because as well. It probably means nothing, but was catchy and to this day, 29 years later, people remember it....
Old 02-01-18, 12:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

new lexus ad that pertains to this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...superbowl.html
Old 02-01-18, 12:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I dunno if I'm gonna get this right, but I think the 4 objectives in the early 80's prior to Lexus existing, for Toyota Motor, was aerodynamics, top speed, quietness, and fuel economy. I have no idea if these were requirements on the new LS or not. But when you see that the 3rd and 4th gen LS' has a .25 and .26 cd, one would think they still wanted to achieve it "just because." My dad having worked in aerospace would remind us, that's the HP number, that everyone uses to measure goodness. But, frontal area is pretty important, and also, that at 100 mph, it likely isn't going to make much difference. Which is why a GS is like .33 or something? The glasses on the hood imho were a just because as well. It probably means nothing, but was catchy and to this day, 29 years later, people remember it....
FYI the GS drag coefficient is .27.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/speci...wd#performance
Old 02-01-18, 12:45 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
FYI the GS drag coefficient is .27.

http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/speci...wd#performance
Gotcha, it's the LC that's .33

http://www.lexus.com/models/LC/specifications

And the new LS is .28. So it would seem that Lexus still does care about that number, not sure what the limiting factor on the LC is....maybe looks over aerodynamics

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/specifications
Old 02-01-18, 02:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Gotcha, it's the LC that's .33

http://www.lexus.com/models/LC/specifications

And the new LS is .28. So it would seem that Lexus still does care about that number, not sure what the limiting factor on the LC is....maybe looks over aerodynamics

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/specifications

Downforce over aerodynamics.

Aerodynamics and downforce are opposites.

The LC is after high speed downforce for greater grip at high speeds, and the greater the downforce, the more the aerodynamics is compromized.

Another way you could say it is that as downforce increases, drag increases too.

For example, a Lamborghini Aventador @ $380,000 is very low in height, but has a highish Drag Co-efficient of 0.33 as well, thanks to its great wing for downforce.
Its predecessor the Gallardo was 0.34.

If I remember correctly, drag has little effect below 60 mph, however, by 90 mph - drag should start to impact big time.
I wouldn't have thought that at 100 mph, drag makes little difference.

New edgy 4GS actually has a higher drag than old jelly bean 3GS, because drag has little effect on performance & economy below 60 mph for bread & butter mums & dads.

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-01-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 05:05 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

To me,Lexus means a mean competitor for MB and BMW big sedans.What I see now are "Wow Duuuude" styling.Leaves me cold,but what do i know?Do millennials buy them??
Old 02-02-18, 09:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,781 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
To me,Lexus means a mean competitor for MB and BMW big sedans.What I see now are "Wow Duuuude" styling.Leaves me cold,but what do i know?Do millennials buy them??
The styling is part of it. Most people near my age (late 20's... damn, I can only say that for the better part of this year, now! :'( ) seem to like the styling on the IS I drive, or at least, they will comment on its looks. However, older people I know think it looks "weird" or is "too busy". The styling for me kinda helped me decide to buy it - 3-series and 4-series are a dime a dozen in my office parking lot, whereas the IS and RC are more interesting and less common. However, styling says nothing about the driving experience. I preferred the way the IS drove compared to the A4 and 328i that I cross-shopped with it, no doubt about that. Lexus should market its models more based on that aspect rather than "making an entrance".
Old 02-02-18, 03:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

With C Class selling 77,000 units last year, 3 Series 60,000 units, A4 37,000 units, and IS on just 26,000 units - it will be interesting to see how many Millennials in their 20's fork out money to purchase the young sporty angular styled firm suspension compact luxury IS.

IMO, targeting the 30 year old age group with appropriate styling and suspension setting compact luxury cars like the Germans is a smarter move, because only a handful of consumers in their 20's who are successful or who have successful parents will have the money to pay for a luxury compact.
Old 02-02-18, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
With C Class selling 77,000 units last year, 3 Series 60,000 units, A4 37,000 units, and IS on just 26,000 units - it will be interesting to see how many Millennials in their 20's fork out money to purchase the young sporty angular styled firm suspension compact luxury IS.

IMO, targeting the 30 year old age group with appropriate styling and suspension setting compact luxury cars like the Germans is a smarter move, because only a handful of consumers in their 20's who are successful or who have successful parents will have the money to pay for a luxury compact.
The 4IS will likely grow in total length and in the wheelbase, not much, but every gen gets a little bit bigger. If the IS F returns from hiatus, and if they could bring a hybrid, this could spark some more interest in the IS Line. Not C-Class or 3-Series numbers, but better than current.

The Spindle design if the LC is any indication will look far more organic on the 7ES, 5GS, and 4IS, than the 6ES, 4GS, and 3IS, which should help too.
Old 02-02-18, 06:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 4IS will likely grow in total length and in the wheelbase, not much, but every gen gets a little bit bigger. If the IS F returns from hiatus, and if they could bring a hybrid, this could spark some more interest in the IS Line. Not C-Class or 3-Series numbers, but better than current.

The Spindle design if the LC is any indication will look far more organic on the 7ES, 5GS, and 4IS, than the 6ES, 4GS, and 3IS, which should help too.
Hoovey, do you know the average age of 1IS, 2IS, 3IS, C Class and 3 Series buyers?
Just out of interest only.
I would have thought the average age for C Class, 3 Series and even IS would be 40+ am I right??? If the average were below 40, then it would be 30+, but I can't imagine it being 20+?
Old 02-02-18, 06:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Hoovey, do you know the average age of 1IS, 2IS, 3IS, C Class and 3 Series buyers?
I would have thought the average age for C Class, 3 Series and even IS would be 40+ am I right??? If the average were below 40, then it would be 30+, but I can't imagine it being 20+?
I thought I read that Lexus was targeting 40 year olds with the IS.
Old 02-02-18, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm sorry I don't know those figures. I do believe your are correct though that 40+ is the average age for IS
Old 02-02-18, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm sorry I don't know those figures. I do believe your are correct though that 40+ is the average age for IS
I was 49 when I bought mine LOL.
Old 02-02-18, 06:45 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I would love to know what C Class and 3 Series average age buyer is?
30 to 40 is reasonable, but I could hardly imagine the average 20-30 year old would have enough money to purchase C Class and 3 Series.
Hence 3IS styling might be a tad too young to maximize sales for their own sake.

3IS styling is probably ideal for Corolla market.
I wonder how old is average Corolla buyer, and even Camry, RAV4 and Highlander for that matter?

I thought they styled new Avalon for 30+, when they should be styling new Avalon for 40+...

Quick Reply: Mistake aiming at millennials?