Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

touchscreens, buttons, controllers, what balance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 07:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main problem with having everything on the touchscreen, though, is that you are likely, on bumpy roads, for your fingertips to either hit the wrong icon, and either delete something you wanted, or turn on/adjust something you didn't want. Now, where you live, in Florida, with that warm climate and (usually) glass-smooth roads that don't get torn up by salt and/or freeze-thaw cycles, fine.....you probably won't have much of an issue with that. But try that on winter roads in Michigan, which can often look like the surface the moon, and it might be a different story.
I find that the old 2005-12 3GS touchscreen has pretty big icons, with pretty big separation, such that it is difficult to accidentally press an adjacent icon on a bumpy road.
The Tesla Model S's 17" screen seems to be pretty big too, with large icons, and wide separation between each icon.

However, I do find that when Model S displays a web page, the icons are often too small, or too closely spaced together, such that adjacent icons can indeed be accidentally pressed.
In this special situation, the web page icons are cramped together, because the web page is predominantly designed to by used by desktop PC with a "mouse".
I believe that governments should prohibit manufacturers from allowing drivers to browse the web while driving.

Tesla Model S displays internet web page:

These days, I find that touchscreens can be mounted a little lower, because they are assisted by HUD!
One of the arguments for remote touch was so that the screen could be mounted higher, but this high mount is NO longer necessary thanks to head up displays...

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-09-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 04:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I am aware that the Lexus added Enter. However, just a simple 1,2,3,4,5,6 radio presets that are absent is another thing my parents hate. Never in 30 years prior have I heard them ***** about radio presets. The base ES had the radio presets as well as the AC button.

I what Genesis is offering with the either/or option could be viable. With Lexus, perhaps not offer touch but just make the redundant buttons available.
On BMW and Audi, there are presets 1-8 (or whatever), but you can make them short cuts to any function, not just radio stations. In my BMW, I can scroll thru the radio stations with my iDrive wheel, so I program most of the "presets" for other functions, like speed dial for my wife, short cut to the TPMS read out screen, etc. I like this feature, as it provides for hard buttons for functions that I know I will be using frequently and don't want to dive thru menus to get to.