Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

yup sign me up!!!!!
Old 02-03-18, 07:38 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Can someone who has an 06 or greater speedometer answer a question?
1. Is your speedometer backlit without the headlight be turned on? That is, is it clearly readable with the top down.

I'm pretty sure it is -- I have no problem reading it ever and I'm no spring chicken. My 06 was quite different that Habious' 02.
Old 02-10-18, 10:00 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Bringing this thread back to the OP’s vendor interests....FEEDBACK is needed from Tanin Auto. Have you made a decision regarding your interest in providing a new repair/replacement service for the Climate Control LCD panel in the Lexus SC430?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-10-18 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 03:37 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, as stated in the original post we need 25-50 people. This process will likely take 6-9 months and we will need down payments to make it happen.

It's extremely difficult to convey brightness and color through a camera, through a a computer screen.

The cluster looks like this when complete:

www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 03-12-18, 03:57 PM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be interested and think $75 plus shipping would be a good number thats affordable.
Old 03-12-18, 04:10 PM
theazz
Driver

I had my 03 SC speed cluster sent out and had blue lighting installed from someone in Texas because their website showed a bright cluster from an SC when they were done. However the pictures taken with a camera are always brighter and do not reflect the real brightness. Mine came back (blue) but no brighter. When i called them they said the led's (oem) are fixed and you can't make them brighter or add to them. I would love to send my cluster out to have it look like an 06. Someone on Club Lexus did rework his harness with alot of manhours and it looked great but he had to tear out his entire harness and install a reworked one with multiple glitches he had to work out. So Tanin Auto have you found a fix thats under $150. If so you'll have a lot of business.
theazz
Old 03-13-18, 01:07 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

If you made a reverse version, I would be ALL over it. Reversed meaning black background with lighted letters. Just a difference of the polarizer used.

For those asking about colors. The LCD itself has no effect on this. It is the backlight which is on a circuit board beneath the LCD. The LCD is simply a light filter that blocks or allows light to pass through it. The color is completely dependent on the light shining through from behind it. A color filter could be added to the front which would change the background color. But this is just a stick-on film.
Old 03-13-18, 01:12 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Good feedback so far.

Anyone know if all 02-09 climate control units are the same? Do the LCD panels all display the same thing regardless if it was equipped with electro-vision or not?

Can anyone provide a side by side picture of the two different climate control units?

They are all exactly the same. The Electro-vision simply means it has IEC bus control with the navigation screen and the buttons for it on the top. This is all in the main board. It has no effect on the LCD at all.

A Non-electro-vision climate control is just missing the buttons across the top to control the NAV. I have actually never seen an SC430 without it.
Old 03-13-18, 01:20 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by theazz
I had my 03 SC speed cluster sent out and had blue lighting installed from someone in Texas because their website showed a bright cluster from an SC when they were done. However the pictures taken with a camera are always brighter and do not reflect the real brightness. Mine came back (blue) but no brighter. When i called them they said the led's (oem) are fixed and you can't make them brighter or add to them. I would love to send my cluster out to have it look like an 06. Someone on Club Lexus did rework his harness with alot of manhours and it looked great but he had to tear out his entire harness and install a reworked one with multiple glitches he had to work out. So Tanin Auto have you found a fix thats under $150. If so you'll have a lot of business.
theazz
Replacing the resistors in series with the LEDs would change the brightness. Blue LEDs would actually end up being dimmer because they have a larger forward voltage drop. You have to change the resistors to a lower value.
Old 03-15-18, 03:50 AM
theazz
Driver

I’m interested. Put me on the list.
theazz
Old 03-15-18, 06:54 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Can someone who has an 06 or greater speedometer answer a question?

1. Is your speedometer backlit without the headlight be turned on? That is, is it clearly readable with the top down.

Here’s my issue, which I’ll admit could be age related. My 02 speedometer is reflective, not backlit and difficult to read in sunlight. More specifically, when the top is down, which is most of the time, making the gauge is very difficult to see, let alone read. This is NOT a problem at night as the reflective lighting is sufficient. I believe Lexus corrected/improved this condition with a new backlit speedometer (combination meter) in the 06 and greater models. Unfortunately, the 06 version is not backwards compatible without serious modifications.

I dont know if the Tanin repair/modification takes the daylight, top down, into account.

The instrument cluster in my 2006 is way nicer and brighter than that in my old 2002. It may sound silly, but the bright electroluminescent gauge cluster in the 2006+ SCs was a fairly major factor in my decision to upgrade from the 2002. The gauges are clear and bright, very easy to read even in bright sunlight. Hope that Tanin can devise a brightening solution for the pre-2006 models!
Old 03-15-18, 07:51 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
The instrument cluster in my 2006 is way nicer and brighter than that in my old 2002. It may sound silly, but the bright electroluminescent gauge cluster in the 2006+ SCs was a fairly major factor in my decision to upgrade from the 2002. The gauges are clear and bright, very easy to read even in bright sunlight. Hope that Tanin can devise a brightening solution for the pre-2006 models!
concur! Now that I have both, I would really like to upgrade the 2002 to look more like the 2006+
the picture in the post above sure looks good, it would be great to see a 2006+ next to the modified 2002-2005 cluster.
Old 03-16-18, 10:42 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
They are all exactly the same. The Electro-vision simply means it has IEC bus control with the navigation screen and the buttons for it on the top. This is all in the main board. It has no effect on the LCD at all.

A Non-electro-vision climate control is just missing the buttons across the top to control the NAV. I have actually never seen an SC430 without it.
.....here you go sir......
Old 03-17-18, 04:21 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....here you go sir......
That just looks so weird. Clearly that space where the display should be looks obviously missing something. Though, if you wanted to put in a custom display entirely, that would probably be so much easier to mod.
Old 05-09-18, 07:47 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Bump!

We only need 3 more people to sign up for these before we can start collecting deposits and begin production!

Don't hesitate to comment or send us a message with your phone number or email address so you can get added to the list!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

The following users liked this post:
Hwdrook (05-09-18)

Quick Reply: Feedback Needed For Potential New Product: 02-09 SC430 Climate Control LCDs