GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 01:37 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Nice. I have to do the same but still a bit nervous about removing the cams.
Quick ?? did you line up and install the service bolt in the EX. cams before or after removing the timing belt?
Please provide feed back, tips on the job when you are completed.
Yes, use that service bolt it is mandatory on EX cams.
The T Belt is off the cam gears.
RH- bank 2 the service bolt hole is accessible.
LH- bank 1 the service bolt hole is not accessible until you rotate the EX cam 180* and line up the dots. A bit nerve racking 1st time doing it, cams want to move on their own. Make sure the crank is set to 50* TDC as per the service manual.

I did leave the EX cam in place but all the cam caps were loose.

I did not remove the throttle body so the VVTi oil controller on bank 2 was in the #1 cam cap on removal and install.

Hope that helps, good luck and have patience.
Old 02-07-18, 02:12 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

FrankT, thanks for the info, one last question, you had the crank at 50* before or after TDC?
The service manual said to line up the keyway pin on the crank pulley to the 12 o'clock position which should be 50* before TDC.
please clarify which it is.
I will be doing this next weekend as I am tired of the oil leaks.
Old 02-07-18, 04:01 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Counter Clockwise AFTER TDC

SET NO.1 CYLINDER TO APPROX. 50°ATDC COMPRESSION

Lexus V8 TDC

a. Turn the crankshaft pulley and align its groove with timing mark “0” of the No.1 timing belt cover.

Lexus V8 Timing Marks Cam Shafts

b. Check that the timing marks of the camshaft timing pulleys and timing belt rear plates aligned. If not, turn the crankshaft 1 revolution (360°) .

Lexus V8 Crank Bolt

c. Turn the crankshaft pulley approximately 50°clockwise, and put the timing mark of the crankshaft pulley in line with the canters of the crankshaft pulley bolt and the No.2 timing belt idler pulley bolt.

NOTICE: If the timing belt is disengaged, having the crankshaft pulley at the wrong angle can cause the piston head and valve head to come into contact with each other when you remove the camshaft timing pulley (step 15), causing damage. So always set the crankshaft pulley at the correct angle.

At 50* ATDC your cam marks will line up with the “T”, cam removal and install is done in this position.

Last edited by FrankT; 02-07-18 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BiGEZ (02-08-18)
Old 02-15-18, 03:50 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Replace my Coil Packs, Coil Pack Clips, and switched from the cheap NGK plugs to a set of NGK Iridium plugs. In the process of replacing the coil pack clips I got rid of some of the brittle exposed write in the harness and re-wrapped and covered a portion of the wire with new wire casing. My GS had some random misfiring and that seems to all be fixed for now. The car is running good again!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GS today?-gs.3.jpg  
Old 02-16-18, 12:41 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Gave her a full wash / wax / detail today. Closing in on 229,000 miles...

Old 02-16-18, 01:29 PM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Gave her a full wash / wax / detail today. Closing in on 229,000 miles...

Nice! Can you come do mine next.

Makes me hold out hope for those high mileage. My GS just turned 170k and my LS is about 122k .
Old 02-17-18, 05:21 PM
jeffy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kevin - wow, thats a fine example of a high mileage car in fantastic shape!!

im glad to report that i am finally able to jump into this and start some posts instead of lurking. over my few days off i was productive in finally unstocking my 99 gs400 (after a very very long ownership of 3 weeks) lol. moved the majority of the box collection out of my baby daughters bedroom and onto the car.
double din touch screen head unit installed
bc br coilovers installed
19" varrstoen wheels
rolled them edges (did a terrble job, but it fits my personality)
spc upper front arms
figs rca
new inner and outer tie rods
new lower ball joints
and now i wait on some more bushings and arms to arrive so i can replace some more stuff that needs it. shes up to 184k miles so it was definitely in need. feeling good, riding good and pretty happy so far. glad to start after the mod bug. ill post up some pics in a while when i get my phone into some reception.

Last edited by jeffy; 02-17-18 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 06:30 PM
AgedGS
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I could've sworn I posted this last week, but i blacked out the grille & front emblem.
Old 02-17-18, 09:54 PM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhnyct
I installed three rebuilt door lock latch and actuators today that I bought from an eBay vendor called actuatorplus. They worked perfectly and are very reasonably priced. I was able to program my keyless remote for the first time. It’s wonderful. Like a brand new car. I tried the motor fix on one of them before and didn’t have much luck.
Sounds like the same boat I was in. I had two actuators out on the GS and I first tried just replacing the motors with no luck. I ended up buying the ones from actuatorplus off eBay as well. That's the way to go. I would recommend that unless you are on a really tight budget. The ones I took out of my GS to replace had already had the motor replaced at least once. When I pulled them out they had electrical tape around them. You made the right choice.
Old 02-18-18, 09:52 PM
GSMaximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my GS300 has been sitting for the past 8 months. Got a set of stock rims (Gen 1s, but still nice), doing an oil amd coolant flush and replacing the brakes and rotors. She’ll be driving like new
Old 02-27-18, 12:37 PM
Fms01
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unbolted and removed the stock mufflers from my GS400 to test out what a muffler delete would be like to live with everyday....so far...awesome.
Also discovered the header tank on my radiator has a hairline crack and leaks...new one on order now. Thank god this has happened during winter here in Arizona and not summer.
Old 02-27-18, 02:28 PM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AgedGS
I could've sworn I posted this last week, but i blacked out the grille & front emblem.
not trying to sound like an idiot or anything but did you have front end damage ? My driver side hood sits the same way and its bothering me so I always wondered if my car was hit. Just got mine 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-27-18, 03:20 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 772 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Moorelow
not trying to sound like an idiot or anything but did you have front end damage ? My driver side hood sits the same way and its bothering me so I always wondered if my car was hit. Just got mine 3 weeks ago.
Check your hood bumper stops. They sit on top of the frame along the top of the headlights. You adjust them by turning them like screws. It seems one is sitting higher than the other. The actual stops are on the hood themselves.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 02-27-18 at 03:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeFig82:
n1ck (02-27-18), tiguy99 (04-20-18)
Old 02-27-18, 04:26 PM
cjsafosho
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Cleaned the GS today!! & ordered seat covers!
Old 02-27-18, 08:33 PM
Moorelow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Check your hood bumper stops. They sit on top of the frame along the top of the headlights. You adjust them by turning them like screws. It seems one is sitting higher than the other. The actual stops are on the hood themselves.

thank you bro!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?