Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I finally had the opportunity to sit and take a look at the new LS500. Sat in the F-sport edition. I must say I agree with Hoovey in so many ways. This new LS is for a whole new breed of LS buyer.

Eat your hearts out to all those who bashed it. This new LS is sexy as hell and is a very nice looking car. The front end spindle is IMO the best so far. I do not have an issue with the exterior in any way. Thought I would not like the rear portion, but I do.

I will admit this new LS is a significant departure form the older idea of what a LS should. We both agreed that this is not for the older crowd.

Inside, the design is fantastic. The floating armrest design is just fantastic. It feels find tight and cozy inside. Definitely not like past LS models. i didn’t sit in the rear.

There are a few things to critique. The materials are generally fantastic, if you really try to find issue you can. The seatbelt adjustment feels like it was out of my Corolla. Some of the leather trim on doors and center armrest seems on the lower end of quality. Not sure if it is Nuluxe There were also Lexus sticker on the door saying that your tires may not last 20K.

I was wrong about the pricing of the new LS when I first saw the design. However, I don’t feel like it is up to S class prices. It does not exactly feel like a $100K + sedan. It feels more at home at the price point it is at, this one was at $88K US.

Overall, this was a great effort by Lexus. It feels distinctly Japanese. Best way to describe it is that it looks very athletic, kinda like when you see your favourite sports start and see how fit the individual is.

I will add some pics as long as I am not stealing Hooveys thread.
Awesome! Haven't had a chance to sit in an F-Sport yet. Mine was Luxury package with the quilted quad stitch. How were the front seats? I read they are bolstered more aggressively than regular 500.

I agree with you from previous thread comments that a V10/V12 would be a great low volume model, but this has plenty of power and more than what's really usable in day to day, but a halo engine would be welcome to compliment the TTV6 and Hybrid models.

You liked the inside too huh, it was something else. I brought it to several friends who oohed and awed over the door panels. Yeah the F-Sport only comes in red or black interior. The non F-Sport especially with Luxury package or Executive package would give you more the wow factor in the sense that if feels more like a $100k sedan.

Please feel free to share your pictures
Old 02-17-18, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689

Lots of interior colors available: Black, Parchment, Flaxen, Chateau, Noble Brown, White Leather, and Circuit Red Leather.

Lots of interior trims available: Gray Sapele Wood and Aluminum, Open-Pore Brown Walnut, Shimamoku Espresso Wood, Art Wood organic, Art Wood Herringbone, Laser special, Kiriko glass, and Naguri Aluminum Trim.

This LS500 was Maganese Luster exterior with Black leather and Art Wood organic.
Old 02-17-18, 03:14 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Great review, thanks.
Old 02-17-18, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lots of interior colors available: Black, Parchment, Flaxen, Chateau, Noble Brown, White Leather, and Circuit Red Leather.

Lots of interior trims available: Gray Sapele Wood and Aluminum, Open-Pore Brown Walnut, Shimamoku Espresso Wood, Art Wood organic, Art Wood Herringbone, Laser special, Kiriko glass, and Naguri Aluminum Trim.
Interesting....all those interior trim-colors/choices, and they skip one of the nicest ones of all (outside of wood)....carbon-fiber.
Old 02-17-18, 03:35 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I got to see a couple this afternoon. One was white and actually looked a bit plain. The other was Atomic Silver and it looked great. The one I sat in had the $12000 luxe package in parchment. I thought the interior was fantastic. The driver's seat is great and the massabe function alone would be reason enough to take the long way home. With the front seat set for me at 6'2", I had about 2" of knee room in the back seat. Seems to be about the same rear seat room as my standard length LS460 had. I didn't have time for a test drive so will go back next week.
Old 02-17-18, 03:35 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting....all those interior trim-colors/choices, and they skip one of the nicest ones of all (outside of wood)....carbon-fiber.
If they ever do an LS F, you'll likely see carbon fiber make a return. The IS F had, and RC F, and GS F both have it standard.
Old 02-17-18, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No one seems to have brought it up in the thread (perhaps it would be off-topic?)..but, price-wise, the LS500 Hybrid with AWD seems, IMO, to be the bargain of the group. It starts at $82,730 ($79,510 with RWD)....which undercuts the F-Sport, and is just a few K more than the base models.

http://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexu...46/buildId/104

The LS500H, IMO, seems especially a bargain compared to the last-generation LS600H, which had triple-digit prices significantly over 100K, although that, of course, included a 5.0L V8 instead of the current TT 3.5L V6.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689

No one seems to have brought it up in the thread (perhaps it would be off-topic?)..but, price-wise, the LS500 Hybrid with AWD seems, IMO, to be the bargain of the group. It starts at $82,730 ($79,510 with RWD)....which undercuts the F-Sport, and is just a few K more than the base models.

http://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexu...46/buildId/104
Keep in mind Marshall that's the base price. Most LS's will have options built on. I did a quick search in the entire U.S. for LS hybrids on the ground.

1 LSh has an MSRP of $80,848
34 LSh have a MSRP of $104,xxx
18 LSh have a MSRP of $105,xxx
1 LSh has an MSRP of $115,xxx
1 LSh has an MSRP of $116,xxx

edit. Sorry those are RWD hybrids I posted.

There are a bunch of $83,xxx - $85,xxx AWD hybrids. A lot of $107,xxx. Highest I can find is 1 at $120,141.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-17-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-17-18, 04:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Note: pics of from my iPhone camera. But I did not take them as my other half did.
Old 02-17-18, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Keep in mind Marshall that's the base price. Most LS's will have options built on. I did a quick search in the entire U.S. for LS hybrids on the ground.

1 LSh has an MSRP of $80,848
34 LSh have a MSRP of $104,xxx
18 LSh have a MSRP of $105,xxx
1 LSh has an MSRP of $115,xxx
1 LSh has an MSRP of $116,xxx
Oh, I agree...but you can still special-order it at that base price, if you want to wait for delivery.
Old 02-17-18, 04:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Note: pics of from my iPhone camera. But I did not take them as my other half did.
Thanks for sharing Jill. Hmm that door padding looks like NuLuxe too me, but the V-Spec on F-Sports says 'F SPORT Perforated Leather-Trimmed Interior w/Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift **** w/Ultrasuede Headliner'. I'll have to see in person.

Oh, I agree...but you can still special-order it at that base price, if you want to wait for delivery.
I revised my post with AWD. Those first ones I realize were RWD hybrids I quoted. Sorry
Old 02-17-18, 06:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Hoovey. Great read. I didn't know about the sign detection feature. That's a really neat feature to display the stop sign in the HUD!

As for impressions, I was disappointed when I saw the LS in May last year. The 19" chrome wheels gave off an unnecessary tacky look, while the all-black interior with the leather door panels and Kiriko glass combination left me cold.

Yours, on the other hand has left me excited again with the LS. The Alcantara door inserts in combination with the brighter wood speaks volumes on luxury. The interior looks welcoming and luxurious!
Old 02-17-18, 06:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Love the interior. It is unique as well very hard to do.
Old 02-17-18, 06:33 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is the first LS I find visually appealing ( I know, I'm the minority here), inside and out. I like the part where you say, the car feels so relaxed that you don't get the urge to run people off the road. Perhaps that's the car I should get lol...hmmm.
Old 02-17-18, 06:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Hoovey. Great read. I didn't know about the sign detection feature. That's a really neat feature to display the stop sign in the HUD!

As for impressions, I was disappointed when I saw the LS in May last year. The 19" chrome wheels gave off an unnecessary tacky look, while the all-black interior with the leather door panels and Kiriko glass combination left me cold.

Yours, on the other hand has left me excited again with the LS. The Alcantara door inserts in combination with the brighter wood speaks volumes on luxury. The interior looks welcoming and luxurious!
Thank you. I fully agree with you. The all black interior leaves me cold, and while things are nice to the touch, it doesn't have that luxurious feel Lexus wants to portray. Your last sentence sums it up, I can't say it any better.

The 20's work well.

Originally Posted by EXE46
This is the first LS I find visually appealing ( I know, I'm the minority here), inside and out. I like the part where you say, the car feels so relaxed that you don't get the urge to run people off the road. Perhaps that's the car I should get lol...hmmm.
Design is subjective, no worries. Hah glad you could get a laugh from it. Can't hurt to try it. LS won't be for everyone, but there are a lot of good cars to choose from these days

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-17-18 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion