Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 07:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Thanks for sharing Jill. Hmm that door padding looks like NuLuxe too me, but the V-Spec on F-Sports says 'F SPORT Perforated Leather-Trimmed Interior w/Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel & Shift **** w/Ultrasuede Headliner'. I'll have to see in person.
Yeah, some of the door trim padding feel NuLuxe, this is why I said it didn’t exactly feel like a $100K+ car. There are some of things of to note, on the lower door panel there is that space between the front half and the rear part where the light is, instead of having one piece, the door is two pieces. There are some of things as well. But overall, the vehicle is well done. I did sort of see some Camry in the rear design. Especially where the trunk is.

Honeslty, it’s hard to believe that this is a long wheel base model. Does not look it at all.

Some of tbe design elements are really great. The wheel well and how the rims sit in the wheel areas was a nice design. I also love the wheel temp controls, you can feel the clicks each time the wheel hits a temp number, Rolls Royce uses dials.

An interesting thing was the size of the trunk. It does not seem that large. But perhaps it is.

The headliner was great. The seats were not too firm but not too soft. The control motors were nice and silent. I didn’t pay attention to the sunroof.
Old 02-17-18, 09:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Lexus needs to figure out a way to allow the car to sit lower when parked. The 4x4 look is ridiculous and could scare a lot of on-lookers away. Whenever a luxury car is parked with the back all jacked up or on the ground (cough cough Lincoln), it's a sure sign the air suspension is broken, lending a feeling and reputation of cheapness. Lexus should take that to heart and avoid it.
Thanks for the pics. The more I see this car, the quicker I'm warming up to it.
The big question would be, what will they do with the next ES, IS, and GS. The LS is a pleasant specialty vehicle, but the other models will be what we see all over the road and what will represent the brand the most.
Old 02-17-18, 09:56 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Lexus needs to figure out a way to allow the car to sit lower when parked. The 4x4 look is ridiculous and could scare a lot of on-lookers away. Whenever a luxury car is parked with the back all jacked up or on the ground (cough cough Lincoln), it's a sure sign the air suspension is broken, lending a feeling and reputation of cheapness. Lexus should take that to heart and avoid it.
Thanks for the pics. The more I see this car, the quicker I'm warming up to it.
The big question would be, what will they do with the next ES, IS, and GS. The LS is a pleasant specialty vehicle, but the other models will be what we see all over the road and what will represent the brand the most.
The Lexus air suspension sets the height. It raises the car to ease exit when the engine is turned off then lowers the car to normal ride height once it is started. It might look a bit high when parked because of this feature.
Old 02-17-18, 10:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The Lexus air suspension sets the height. It raises the car to ease exit when the engine is turned off then lowers the car to normal ride height once it is started. It might look a bit high when parked because of this feature.
Right. And it looks bad. The only jacked up cars sitting at the curb that are third-hand 1990's Lincoln's with patched body panels. It looks downmarket for a premium luxury sedan.
Old 02-18-18, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Right. And it looks bad. The only jacked up cars sitting at the curb that are third-hand 1990's Lincoln's with patched body panels. It looks downmarket for a premium luxury sedan.

Old 02-18-18, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I had the car in Rapid Height mode in those pictures. Its a bit lower normally like oldcajun mentioned (though like most Lexus it still has a gap).

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-18-18 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-18-18, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Nice review and pics! I like ok forward to driving one myself!
Old 02-18-18, 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Had an additional look today at the LS500. This was a luxury edition and not a F sport. Here are a couple more pics.

Brilliant design on the radio **** as it serves as both volume and as a tuner.

Not a big fan on the interior color.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-18-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 05:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, interesting. But the way people usually tune their radio is via presets or scan/lock. You just push the preset button or you use the scan feature and lock. The only time I ever twirl a **** is on my ole school Eton SW radio just for fun. I do like how it's sort of minimized so you almost don't notice it. I didn't know that they had that function on the LS.
Old 02-18-18, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Hmm, interesting. But the way people usually tune their radio is via presets or scan/lock. You just push the preset button or you use the scan feature and lock. The only time I ever twirl a **** is on my ole school Eton SW radio just for fun. I do like how it's sort of minimized so you almost don't notice it. I didn't know that they had that function on the LS.

Regardless. It’s a nice detail to have.
Old 02-18-18, 05:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I’m all about details in cars of this caliber. That’s something that was missing largely from the 460 LMHO.
Old 02-18-18, 05:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an interesting feature but I don't know of anyone who would not just use the RDS function here. There is no need to be twirling a **** like it's the 1950s. Radio today is digital. If people still listen to AM radio, well I guess that's okay, but the younger crowd doesn't even listen to AM.

I think if they could just push that inner **** a bit more flush, it would not look like a cigarette lighter ****.
Old 02-18-18, 05:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’m all about details in cars of this caliber. That’s something that was missing largely from the 460 LMHO.
LS460 has some details vs the LS500 as well. The door map pockets pivot, the electric seat belt adjusters, the power seat button on the passenger seat. I am sure you can find more.

What at is interesting is how Lexus cost cut the LS500 in a few places. The seat belt adjustment lever is beyond absurd for a vehicle in this price segment. And Lexus cleverly removed the red light lock unlock indentifiers on top of the door sills and replaced them with pop up lock identification pegs. LC500 has the red red lights.

I will say, we saw a used white 460 with a light cream interior. The Ls460 is a great design. The LS500 does not look like it would be a enjoyable car to drive across the United States, the LS460 does however.
Old 02-18-18, 05:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Was at the CIAS today. Saw and sat in the LS and I warmed up to it further this second time around. On the exterior, the LS F Sport in Sonic Agate was drop-dead stunning in that color (pics don't show the depth of the paint) - looked super expensive and worthy of the flagship status.

Autumn Shimmer, not my color of choice, but interior was very premium interior with the brown alcantara, (saddle tan?) seats, and wood trim.

Old 02-18-18, 05:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Was at the CIAS today. Saw and sat in the LS and I warmed up to it further this second time around. On the exterior, the LS F Sport in Sonic Agate was drop-dead stunning in that color (pics don't show the depth of the paint) - looked super expensive and worthy of the flagship status.

Autumn Shimmer, not my color of choice, but interior was very premium interior with the brown alcantara, (saddle tan?) seats, and wood trim.

Nice pics. What color is this?

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion