GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Dead Battery after 3 wks parked

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 04:11 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2013 Dead Battery after 3 wks parked

When I tried to start the car after 3 weeks in the garage, I got nothing - no clicking, no door lights, not even the flashing red alarm ON indicator. The battery is the original (car manufactured in Oct 2012), so it's likely to be shot. I assume the car hasn't gone into some "sleep" mode, from which it needs to wake up???

Anybody have recommendations for what battery to get/ where to get it - obviously not Lexus OEM. I want to make sure I get the right rating, and physical size - I don't want to have to "improvise". I've changed batteries in other cars, but never this one - any special tools or techniques needed?
Old 02-18-18, 05:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Lexus has a replacement battery made by Interstate at a very decent price, which comes with an 84 month warranty in which the battery is replaced at no-charge if it fails within 2 years and pro-rata thereafter. The Lexus Part Number is: 00544-MF240-575
Old 02-18-18, 05:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It is recommended that once a battery becomes two years old it should be load tested once a year to determine if it is still healthy and dependable. National Tire & Battery (NTB) will load test your battery at no-charge. It can be done in their parking lot in just 5 minutes.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-18-18 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 07:12 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Any comments about the Bosch with absorbed glass mat?
Old 02-18-18, 07:22 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It is recommended that once a battery becomes two years old it should be load tested once a year to determine if it is still healthy and dependable. National Tire & Battery (NTB) will load test your battery at no-charge. It can be done in their parking lot in just 5 minutes.
i get mine tested as part of my annual winter inspection, regardless of age, if you depend on your vehicle its a good idea to check it.
Old 02-18-18, 07:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hziemba
Any comments about the Bosch with absorbed glass mat?
The glass mat technology is a way to put the cells closer together and increase the CCA, but in warm/hot climates there is a much higher likelihood that batteries made with closely designed cells using the glass mat technology will short out compared to a lower CCA with increased spacing between cells.

If you are located in a cool/cold climate area CCA is important, but if you are located in a warm/hot climate area CCA is not important and you are much better off using a lower CCA with greater spacing between cells.

The following users liked this post:
hziemba (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 06:19 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus has a replacement battery made by Interstate at a very decent price, which comes with an 84 month warranty in which the battery is replaced at no-charge if it fails within 2 years and pro-rata thereafter. The Lexus Part Number is: 00544-MF240-575
That is EXCELLENT advice. I replaced mine after 5 years and got the Lexus OEM Interstate battery. Got the battery and a complete electrical checkup for about the same price as I could buy a decent non-OEM replacement that would have required modification of the battery case for the non-OEM to fit properly. Not worth the hassle. Get the OEM battery. Great battery with an excellent warranty.
Old 02-19-18, 09:41 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
That is EXCELLENT advice. I replaced mine after 5 years and got the Lexus OEM Interstate battery. Got the battery and a complete electrical checkup for about the same price as I could buy a decent non-OEM replacement that would have required modification of the battery case for the non-OEM to fit properly. Not worth the hassle. Get the OEM battery. Great battery with an excellent warranty.
Just curious, how much did you guys pay in total for the battery replacement at the dealer?
Old 02-19-18, 09:51 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

Any ideas on where I can find the dimensions of the OEM battery? I know it's a 24 group, but it seems not all 24s are the same dimensions.
Old 02-19-18, 12:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by viperr
Just curious, how much did you guys pay in total for the battery replacement at the dealer?
I want to say the Lexus 00544-MF240-575 battery was around $120, which is not much different from what an equivalent Interstate battery (or similar) would cost. If someone really wants to nit-pick in order to save a few dollars I'm sure they could find an old new battery at some car parts store somewhere that has been setting on the shelf forever they'd love to sale to someone. I was only interested in a fresh battery that Lexus recommends that even has Lexus labeling on it.
viperr (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 01:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
I was quoted $160 for the new battery and installation at a Lexus dealership in NJ. I ended up going the aftermarket route (Delphi brand) and only saved about $40. When I do need a new battery, i'll likely go the dealership/OEM route since its not too much difference.
viperr (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 01:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Any ideas on where I can find the dimensions of the OEM battery? I know it's a 24 group, but it seems not all 24s are the same dimensions.
You are right. You'd think that a Group 24 battery would be one, and only one, dimension ... but that is not the 'case' (excuse the pun).

A Group 24 battery case size should be: 10 1/4" x 6 13/16" x 8 7/8

You may find some battery makers that list their Group 24 battery size as [say]: 10 1/4" x 6 7/8" x 8 3/4" which should be okay and will fit the battery holder just fine without any problem. That said, there are some battery makers that have larger dimension Group 24 batteries that likely will present a problem fitting in the battery holder. I've seen one that is longer and measures: 11" x 6 7/8" x 8 3/4".
hziemba (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 03:13 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

You are right. You'd think that a Group 24 battery would be one, and only one, dimension ... but that is not the 'case' (excuse the pun).

A Group 24 battery case size should be: 10 1/4" x 6 13/16" x 8 7/8

You may find some battery makers that list their Group 24 battery size as [say]: 10 1/4" x 6 7/8" x 8 3/4" which should be okay and will fit the battery holder just fine without any problem. That said, there are some battery makers that have larger dimension Group 24 batteries that likely will present a problem fitting in the battery holder. I've seen one that is longer and measures: 11" x 6 7/8" x 8 3/4".

Thanks for those numbers. I've ordered a Bosch, Platinum Series AGM, Group 24, with actual dimensions of Length (in.)10.25, Width (in.) 6.81, Height (in.) 8.87 from Pep Boys that is on sale online for $142.49 (25% less than in the store). Picking it up at the local store tomorrow. Glad to know that it'll fit without any mods. I also like the fact that the warranty is 48 month, without pro-rating.

Old 02-20-18, 06:23 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for those numbers. I've ordered a Bosch, Platinum Series AGM, Group 24, with actual dimensions of Length (in.)10.25, Width (in.) 6.81, Height (in.) 8.87 from Pep Boys that is on sale online for $142.49 (25% less than in the store). Picking it up at the local store tomorrow. Glad to know that it'll fit without any mods. I also like the fact that the warranty is 48 month, without pro-rating.

I'm curious why you would choose the Bosch when you could get the top-rated OEM Interstate with an 84 warranty and a complete electrical checkup for about the same price? Not criticizing your choice, just wonder why you would go with the Bosch over the OEM battery.
Old 02-20-18, 08:55 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I recommend Walmart batteries I believe they're made by Globe Union, I use them in all of my vehicles even my Bass boat never had a problem. I have their AGM battery in my motorcycle now.

Quick Reply: 2013 Dead Battery after 3 wks parked