Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 04:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

We saw the RX350L. Hard to believe it is possible to put humans in the third row. Interesting to note is that the 3 row RX models are coming from Japan.

Old 02-18-18, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We saw the RX350L. Hard to believe it is possible to put humans in the third row. Interesting to note is that the 3 row RX models are coming from Japan.
That might explain at least part of it.....assuming that the RX-L was not specifically designed for the Northern American market. Many Japanese (sumo wrestlers excluded LOL) are shorter and thinner than we are in this part of the world. Still, from the comments that a number of you have posted on the way the second and third-row seats were compromised, even those smaller Japanese persons might be overly-cramped in them.

I plan to look at them myself...perhaps later this coming week, after I get some other errands done .
Old 02-18-18, 07:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Was at the CIAS today and got to try the third row. I'm "average" height at 5'9" and moderate build, and I'd say the max size to fit back there is 5'7" with adults no more than 5'10" - 5'11" in the middle and front rows.

MM, good luck if you try and if you do, you must move the front passenger seat and second row forward several inches. On the flipside, up to 5'7" is still pretty good which means kids up to pre-teens and shorter adults can still fit. Add the electronic HVAC controls and you have a nice space for short drives.

Here are some shots showing seat positioning, including how I fit back there (p.s. very little foot room beneath the second row )

Old 02-18-18, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM, good luck if you try and if you do, you must move the front passenger seat and second row forward several inches.
Oh, I know it will be difficult...perhaps even impossible for a person my size. Couldn't be much worse, though, then when I got in and out of a Lotus Elise. Now THAT, my friend, was funny....you would have bowled over laughing if you had seen it. Unfortunately, there's no video of it.

(and I actually managed to drive that undersized toy as well, even wth a 3-pedal manual)
Old 02-18-18, 07:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Was at the CIAS today and got to try the third row. I'm "average" height at 5'9" and moderate build, and I'd say the max size to fit back there is 5'7" with adults no more than 5'10" - 5'11" in the middle and front rows.

MM, good luck if you try and if you do, you must move the front passenger seat and second row forward several inches. On the flipside, up to 5'7" is still pretty good which means kids up to pre-teens and shorter adults can still fit. Add the electronic HVAC controls and you have a nice space for short drives.

Here are some shots showing seat positioning, including how I fit back there (p.s. very little foot room beneath the second row )

Its amazing that these vehicles are even allowed to be designed and sold. I can’t imagine how difficult it would to escape the third row in the even of a roll over or something
Old 02-18-18, 08:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oh, I know it will be difficult...perhaps even impossible for a person my size. Couldn't be much worse, though, then when I got in and out of a Lotus Elise. Now THAT, my friend, was funny....you would have bowled over laughing if you had seen it. Unfortunately, there's no video of it.

(and I actually managed to drive that undersized toy as well, even wth a 3-pedal manual)
Try an Alfa 4C if you haven't. That 's a tough one too!

Its amazing that these vehicles are even allowed to be designed and sold. I can’t imagine how difficult it would to escape the third row in the even of a roll over or something

Well it's a valid point hence why I'd think the RX L is limited to a family with "post-car-seat" to "pre teen-growth-spurt" age or a 4-5 year window of opportunity. After that, you're buying it to putt your in-laws back there.
Old 02-19-18, 12:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

That might explain at least part of it.....assuming that the RX-L was not specifically designed for the Northern American market. Many Japanese (sumo wrestlers excluded LOL) are shorter and thinner than we are in this part of the world. Still, from the comments that a number of you have posted on the way the second and third-row seats were compromised, even those smaller Japanese persons might be overly-cramped in them.

I plan to look at them myself...perhaps later this coming week, after I get some other errands done .
The 3 row RX was designed exclusively for the US market. This is the only market where they sell this type of vehicle

Its just built in Japan. Doe they even sell them in Japan? I bet not. Anyways, Japanese people have legs. They won’t fit either.

Its just a poorly designed vehicle.
Old 02-19-18, 05:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

The 3 row RX was designed exclusively for the US market. This is the only market where they sell this type of vehicle

Its just built in Japan. Doe they even sell them in Japan? I bet not. Anyways, Japanese people have legs. They won’t fit either.

Thanks for making it clear and trying to avoid any confusion. Only American's think they would need something like this.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-19-18 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-19-18, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe this is why Lexus kept the RX-L they had at the D.C. show under lock and key LOL.
Old 02-19-18, 07:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for making it clear and trying to avoid any confusion. Only American's think they would need something like this.

Well, the most interesting part is that, like so many other things in the automotive world, this may (?) be a solution to a nonexistent problem. Despite all of the talk of "wanting" a 3-row RX, Americans certainly bought the standard, 2-row version in large enough numbers.
Old 02-19-18, 07:13 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Well, the most interesting part is that, like so many other things in the automotive world, this may (?) be a solution to a nonexistent problem. Despite all of the talk of "wanting" a 3-row RX, Americans certainly bought the standard, 2-row version in large enough numbers.
I think there was (is) a demand for a 3-row RX in the US (and Canada) but I think the consumer will expect at least a more competitive rear seat like that in the MDX. The couple of comments I heard from people at the autoshow was not good on the space but as I said earlier that you can manage with shorter people if you can... Let's see how the market responds in the next few months in sales.

(This sketch pretty much sums up the seating arrangement I had to adjust to fit in the back. Legroom is tight in the middle + 3rd rows)

https://s3.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...g-x-render.jpg
Old 02-19-18, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think there was (is) a demand for a 3-row RX in the US (and Canada) but I think the consumer will expect at least a more competitive rear seat like that in the MDX. The couple of comments I heard from people at the autoshow was not good on the space but as I said earlier that you can manage with shorter people if you can... Let's see how the market responds in the next few months in sales.

(This sketch pretty much sums up the seating arrangement I had to adjust to fit in the back. Legroom is tight in the middle + 3rd rows)

https://s3.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...g-x-render.jpg
It will sell ok and there will be a demand. Most people do not need a third row seat no matter what the justification.
Old 02-19-18, 07:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Your logic is nonsensical. That’s like saying because they’ve sold so many Pickup trucks crossovers are something nobody wants.

Entirely different segments. Somebody needing or wanting a 3 row crossover never looked at an RX, and somebody who bought an RX never needed or wanted a 3 row crossover. Different markets.

There is is a very strong demand in the US for 3 row crossovers, irregardless of how many 2 row vehicles they sell. Lexus is losing buyers in that segment not having a product to sell them. Will people buy this? People who want “a Lexus” and actually don’t need 3 rows. I for instance am somebody who actually needs to occasionally use the third row and having seen the RX-L I wouldn’t even bother driving one. It’s quite frankly one of the dumbest, most poorly executed vehicles I’ve ever seen.
Old 02-19-18, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It’s quite frankly one of the dumbest, most poorly executed vehicles I’ve ever seen.
Completely agree. It kinda reminds me of half *** stuff Toyota has done in the past, the dumb rear door on the GX, stupid fixed folding seats on the Land Cruiser or LX. These come to mind.
Old 02-19-18, 09:55 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure why people expect actual adults to use the third row. As a present owner, I'm more inclined to see the extra cargo (yes spec wise it's small, but makes a difference), as well as available seating in case a large family comes along (throwing the kids in the back).

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus RX 350L, RX450hL are here to fill your 7-seat needs