LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 - SENSEN vs Unity Automotive vs KYB/MOOG rear strut assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 08:38 AM
mnLS400
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 98 LS400 - SENSEN vs Unity Automotive vs KYB/MOOG rear strut assembly

my drivers rear coil spring is broken. was looking at a few options. I see the most popular is to buy the KYB GR-2/Excel-G option with a coil spring but not sure what coil spring to go with. Ideally I wouldn't mind going the KYB route since its popular and buying good rear OEM springs off someone. I've posted in the classifieds about that.

wondering if anyone has tried these or the MOOG springs:

SENSEN 1490-SS-RS

Unity Automotive 15190

KYB/MOOG option

Old 02-22-18, 09:57 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

(I saw your other thread too - congrats on the new car)

I put KYB GR-2's on my '91 several years ago, and am very happy. All 4 wheels, also replaced just about everything except the springs ==> struts, mounts, bellows, bump stops. Everything still all great. So I'd recommend the KYB's if you need new struts.

But from when I did mine, at about 170k miles, I think, I found that much of the stuff I replaced was still fine. As you know from your older LS, these things are built to last.

So if you're looking for a quick solution and don't mind going back in there later if needed (it's an easy job), you might consider getting a spring from a junkyard (or a pair if you like) and just replacing the broken part - only. For all the guys that replace their strut assemblies with coilovers, I bet there are a lot of good original springs out there for cheap.

Depends on your free time, etc. This route might not be a good plan if you're paying someone else to do it.

Personally, I'd stay away from the cheaper new parts.
Old 02-22-18, 10:21 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

MNLS400- Any idea on how your spring broke? Salt from living in Minnesota? I have been driving for over 40 years & some of those years were in the mid-west where the undercarriage of cars got destroyed due to salt but I've never seen a broken springs before.
Old 02-22-18, 12:33 PM
mnLS400
Rookie

i bought it like that. couldn't tell it was broken either and drove it from MI to MN like this.

I am guessing it was because of MI roads (they are a joke), lots of salt and winter driving and prob not washing the car enough. Once I get this car sorted out it will be detailed and the underbody washed up nice and regularly cleaned like the rest of my cars.

just got some new Champiro IcePro winter tires installed and yup there is the broken rear spring.

Old 02-22-18, 03:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Pretty much all the aftermarket "complete strut/spring assembly" are terrible compared to piecing it together yourself.

I would get a set of KYB shocks, mounts, dust boots and bump stops (or whatever mounts/boots/stops you can get easily) along with a set of used factory springs (should be less than $100 at a "nice" junkyard or <$50 at a pick-n-pull). KYB was the original supplier for most of those parts and the shocks are as close to OEM as you can get.

The sensen shocks are god awful and won't last nearly as long as the OEM or KYB. Moog parts are hit or miss in quality sometimes, but with the OEM springs lasting so long and being so cheap used, I would rather have a set of old but clean (not rusted) springs than new Moog.
Old 02-23-18, 11:42 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you guys always replace strut mounts when changing struts? I have changed struts twice, but never mounts. '99LS w/ 243K miles, high time?
Old 02-24-18, 07:37 AM
mnLS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Pretty much all the aftermarket "complete strut/spring assembly" are terrible compared to piecing it together yourself.

I would get a set of KYB shocks, mounts, dust boots and bump stops (or whatever mounts/boots/stops you can get easily) along with a set of used factory springs (should be less than $100 at a "nice" junkyard or <$50 at a pick-n-pull). KYB was the original supplier for most of those parts and the shocks are as close to OEM as you can get.

The sensen shocks are god awful and won't last nearly as long as the OEM or KYB. Moog parts are hit or miss in quality sometimes, but with the OEM springs lasting so long and being so cheap used, I would rather have a set of old but clean (not rusted) springs than new Moog.
I ordered new KYBs, got used OEM springs (20k miles on them) along with the mounts, boot and stop. should be a fun install!
Old 02-24-18, 10:18 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by valex
Do you guys always replace strut mounts when changing struts? I have changed struts twice, but never mounts. '99LS w/ 243K miles, high time?
The one time I did the struts on my '91 at ~170k miles, yes I replaced all mounts and struts with new KYB ones. But once I had things apart, I realized the existing mounts were fine. I put in the new ones anyway. At that point, since I had bought the mounts online, shipping them back would have not been worth it.

The actual job is pretty easy, so if I had not had the new mounts in hand, I would have been fine with putting the old ones back, with new struts, taking the risk of problems down the road meaning I need to take them out again.

The part manufacturers will always say you NEED to replace the mounts when replacing struts. But then they also say if you've got 50k miles on your struts you're overdue. Both are obviously false.
Old 02-24-18, 10:19 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mnLS400
I ordered new KYBs, got used OEM springs (20k miles on them) along with the mounts, boot and stop. should be a fun install!
Sounds like a good plan.
Old 02-24-18, 10:34 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Planning on getting new strut mounts (UPPER SUPPORTS), OEM $118 each, aftermarket Movotech $20.
'99LS w/243K miles, I have OEM struts with about 45K miles on them, but never changed the strut mounts, is non-OEM ok? Also, I never changed the stops (BUMPERS), non-OEM ok to use?
I just changed the struts and insulators last time, think the struts should be still fine, perhaps just the mounts and bumpers, since those two are original.
Old 02-24-18, 04:09 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

my front OEM shocks were still holding a charge when I removed them at 275k, but my strut mounts and D/S LCA bushing were torn so I opted to replace everything since I'd probably never go into the suspension again. I was pretty impressed they were in good shape. I bought the KYB Excel G front shocks, KYB bump stops and dust covers. I already had some GR2 rears from the previous owners. One thing I can say is the OE Lexus dust boots are far superior but cost about $90 each vs. $14 for KYB ones. I picked up the KYB shocks from Autozone had them pricematch to RockAuto at $78 ea. an now have a lifetime warranty on them....which I'll probably need for as bad as the roads are here in MI compared to AZ. Just recently hit a 7" deep pothole that bent my 18" IS350 wheels that I have to straighten out now at a wheel shop.
Old 02-26-18, 04:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mnLS400
Good choice, let us know how it rides after completion. Remember it'll be stiff at first then settle down as the shocks and mounts break in over the first few weeks.

Originally Posted by valex
Ideally you can replace the mounts only if the old ones are torn/worn. But given the relatively low cost of the KYB mounts and the downtime needed if you order them after taking the suspension out, I tend to just replace them on any car with >150-200k miles. I live in CA so dry rot is my biggest worry with rubber components.
The following users liked this post:
benlex400 (06-17-22)
Old 02-26-18, 05:45 PM
mnLS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Good choice, let us know how it rides after completion. Remember it'll be stiff at first then settle down as the shocks and mounts break in over the first few weeks.
I'll have em on by Friday if it all goes well.

I'm hoping the rear comes up a bit, dont like that the rear sits a lot lower than the front. the trunks empty and the rear mufflers are gone too.
this side is missing a coil in the rear so a new coil and strut should do the trick!

BNastee (06-20-22)
Old 03-07-18, 11:23 AM
mnLS400
Rookie

rear ride height did not change...wtf
still sits a lot lower in the rear with brand new KYB struts, new bellow and bump stop, used OEM springs, strut mount and rubber boot with 20k miles on them. is this normal?
ride is definitely stiffer in the rear now.

Old 03-07-18, 01:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 420 Likes on 374 Posts

looks normal to me...the arch in the front is much higher per design giving the illusion that the rear is lower.
BNastee (06-20-22)

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 - SENSEN vs Unity Automotive vs KYB/MOOG rear strut assembly