Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Aygo (for Europe)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Toyota Aygo (for Europe)

Source
Old 02-23-18, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I like the purple color. Why Toyota won't offer that in the U.S. beats me.

I know someone in Denmark who bought a new Aygo not long ago. She is quite pleased with it.
Old 02-23-18, 10:17 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a honda fit competitor?
Old 02-23-18, 10:25 PM
Flick2JZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks kind of Yaris-esque.
Old 02-24-18, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABC

In general, the Toyota Yaris competes with the Fit. This car seems somewhat smaller than the Yaris.

I was not aware of this, but some research shows that the Aygo is also sold under the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 nameplates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Aygo

In Europe, BTW, the Fit is called the Jazz.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 08:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,824 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Kill it with fire then nuke it from orbit just to be sure.
Old 02-24-18, 08:48 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
Originally Posted by Flick2JZ
Looks kind of Yaris-esque.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, the Toyota Yaris competes with the Fit. This car seems somewhat smaller than the Yaris.

I was not aware of this, but some research shows that the Aygo is also sold under the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 nameplates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Aygo
The Aygo is a Europe-only city car. mmarshall is correct that it is the result of the Toyota Peugeot Citroën Automobile Czech (TPCA) joint venture in Kolín, Czech Republic.

City cars (the 2-seat Smart fortwo is also considered a city car) are a size smaller than subcompacts such as the Yaris or the Honda Fit. They are designed for the crowded inner-city streets of old European cities

From these numbers pulled from Wikipedia, it is obvious just how small the Aygo is (17 inches shorter than the Yaris).

Aygo:
Wheelbase 2,340 mm (92.1 in)
Length 3,455 mm (136.0 in)
Width 1,615 mm (63.6 in)

Yaris:
Wheelbase 2,510 mm (98.8 in)
Length 3,885 mm (153.0 in)
Width 1,695 mm (66.7 in)

Fit:
Wheelbase 2,530 mm (99.6 in)
Length 3,955 mm (155.7 in)
Width 1,695 mm (66.7 in)
Old 02-25-18, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

I like the purple color. Why Toyota won't offer that in the U.S. beats me.

I know someone in Denmark who bought a new Aygo not long ago. She is quite pleased with it.
Aygos are quite popular in Denmark, i would guess due to the taxing situation where cars are very expensive.

It is JV between Toyota and PSA, and Toyota designs and produces it.

This gen is really a nice cheap entry vehicle that has some zeist to it, sells well and it seems like a really nice update. It is one size smaller than Yaris, it basically re-started this category and now we also have a Kia/Hyundai entry as well as VW triplets.
Old 02-25-18, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Aygos are quite popular in Denmark, i would guess due to the taxing situation where cars are very expensive.
That's part of it....also the relatively high price of gas, which also comes from high taxes. To some extent, at least, we are spoiled here in the U.S. with cheap fuel. If people had to pay, in the U.S., in American dollars, what would cost cost to own and run a Suburban or Expedition in Northern Europe, I don't think they would fly off the dealer-lots so quickly.

(First time, BTW, that I ever sent a bottle of SCRATCH-OUT overseas LOL). She deserved it, though....a nice lady.

This gen is really a nice cheap entry vehicle that has some zeist to it, sells well and it seems like a really nice update. It is one size smaller than Yaris, it basically re-started this category and now we also have a Kia/Hyundai entry as well as VW triplets.
If the Chevy Spark and Fiat 500 can sell here (which they do), I don't see any reason the Aygo couldn't...particularly for those who want Toyota reliability and manuverability/ease of parking. Despite the Smart-for-Two's success, though, I don't think that anything smaller than the Aygo would sell in America. Scion, for example, couldn't succeed with the diminutive iQ (which, IMO, was a much better car than the Smart), and probably the only reason Smart is still in business here is that they converted to all-electric.
Old 02-25-18, 05:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If the Chevy Spark and Fiat 500 can sell here (which they do), I don't see any reason the Aygo couldn't...particularly for those who want Toyota reliability and manuverability/ease of parking. Despite the Smart-for-Two's success, though, I don't think that anything smaller than the Aygo would sell in America. Scion, for example, couldn't succeed with the diminutive iQ (which, IMO, was a much better car than the Smart), and probably the only reason Smart is still in business here is that they converted to all-electric.
A major reason below. Plus the Yaris Hatch isn't really a seller, why add another small hatch? Probably would need to have add weight from tech and reinforcement to meet U.S. safety regulations.

1.0-liter three-cylinder. It goes to 71 horsepower from 68 on the outgoing model, but torque dips by 1 pound-foot to 69. This allows it to hit 62 mph in a claimed, wait for it (no, really), 13.8 seconds.
Old 02-25-18, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A major reason below. Plus the Yaris Hatch isn't really a seller, why add another small hatch? Probably would need to have add weight from tech and reinforcement to meet U.S. safety regulations.

Agreed on the added U.S. specs, but that's been done on other very small vehicles, like the Spark, Smart, and Fiat 500.

1.0-liter three-cylinder. It goes to 71 horsepower from 68 on the outgoing model, but torque dips by 1 pound-foot to 69. This allows it to hit 62 mph in a claimed, wait for it (no, really), 13.8 seconds.
Agreed that's slow by today's auto-press and testing standards, but most people, most of the time, don't accelerate pedal-to-the metal.
Old 02-25-18, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

What a horrible car. But necessary in markets like Denmark that tax everything fun to death,
Old 02-25-18, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What a horrible car. But necessary in markets like Denmark that tax everything fun to death,

That's a pretty strong statement to make. Have you actually driven one lately...or the last time you were in Europe?
Old 02-25-18, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

It's shorter (17”!) and narrower than a Yaris so it's cramped and won't ride great on its tiny wheelbase.
and on top of that, it's hideous.
Old 02-26-18, 06:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It will probably be a very fun car if they "soup" it up with the current Corolla's 1.8L. I mean double the HP, come on!!!

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Aygo (for Europe)