Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Buick Envision

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 04:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2019 Buick Envision

Refreshed 2019 Buick Envision gets sharper edges, optional nine-speed transmission

After 18 months on the market in the United States, the Buick Envision took its place as the third-best-selling vehicle among Buick's eight models, slotting in behind the Encore and Enclave. January sales this year jumped 13.7-percent year-over-year, just a few hundred behind the Enclave. Now, the Chinese-made compact SUV gets a modest makeover, but buyers of the 2019 Buick Envision will need to reach up into the upper trims to access the best of what's new.

The big mechanical upgrade comes with the option of GM's Hydra-Matic 9T50 nine-speed automatic instead of standard the six-speed. However, that appears to be limited to just two of the five available Envision trims: Premium I and Premium II. The base, Preferred, and Essence models stick with the six-speed only.

Design changes center around the front and rear fascias. The grille motif switches to a be-winged Buick emblem - in tri-color spec, not monochrome - over the previous waterfall, matching that of the sibling crossovers. The lower front fascia gets redrawn, with the fog lights at the edges now sitting in square recesses with reworked chrome trim and sharper edges on the bumper. Premium trims move up from HID projectors to bi-LED headlights, while the other three trims shed their composite halogens for HID lights.

According to the 2019 order guide, Ebony seats with Dark Plum interior accents leave the menu, replaced by Dark Galvanized leather seats with Ebony trim. White interior lighting will illuminate the instrument panel and door trim, replacing Ice Blue, and comfort/convenience tweaks come in the form of wireless phone charging, an cabin air ionizer and a button to shut off the stop-start system. The latter would be a noteworthy upgrade as it's been a common complaint logged against so-equipped GM vehicles.

In back, design elements get sharper edges, and the taillights switch to slimmer LED units. Designers have hidden the single exhaust outlet on the lower three trims with the base, 197-horsepower 2.5-liter engine. It appears that choosing the optional, 252-hp 2.0-liter engine will be identified by dual rectangular exhaust finishers instead of the round tips of previous years.

Exterior colors hold steady at six, but Midnight Amethyst Metallic gives way to Satin Steel Gray Metallic, and the current 19-inch wheels get replaced with two new designs. The 2019 Buick Envision has already gone on sale in China, and should reach U.S. dealers in April.
Source
Old 02-23-18, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Still made in China. Sad. I didn't bother looking at it at the Auto Show on Wednesday out of principle
Old 02-23-18, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Still made in China. Sad. I didn't bother looking at it at the Auto Show on Wednesday out of principle

Chinese-manufacture, however, did not seem to affect quality any. I did a full-review on the Envision when it first came out...seeemd as well-screwed together, with as good fit/finish, as anything comparable I've seen from Japan, Korea, Europe, or North America. The only quirk was an odd, funny smell inside instead of the usual pleasant new-car aroma. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was, but later, some comments turned up on the internet that the Chinese, for whatever reason, don't like the typical American new car smell.....so chemical processes are added to cover it up.
Old 02-23-18, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Big mistake whoring a facelight after only 1.4 years on the market. This plummets resale value, which increases new car incentives, which tanks GM profits. A properly run company has corporate officials making decisions years in advance on when to bring out of the country cars into the U.S., and gell the timing with facelifts and redesigns.
Old 02-24-18, 06:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
, which increases new car incentives, which tanks GM profits.
If you are looking for a sizable discount on a vehicle, you can't get any better than Buick. Last year they were offering up to 25% off a new Buick right across the range. 25% off a made in China Buick Envision at the time. Really sad.
Old 02-24-18, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you are looking for a sizable discount on a vehicle, you can't get any better than Buick. Last year they were offering up to 25% off a new Buick right across the range. 25% off a made in China Buick Envision at the time. Really sad.

Buick did not offer 25% off the whole product-range, either now or last year. The current incentive on the Envision, from the factory, is 18%...and that is only for upper-line Essence and Premium I models. I don't know why you call that sad....that certainly is not a sad deal for the buyer.

http://www.buick.com/current-offers
Old 02-24-18, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick did not offer 25% off the whole product-range, either now or last year. The current incentive on the Envision, from the factory, is 18%...and that is only for upper-line Essence and Premium I models. I don't know why you call that sad....that certainly is not a sad deal for the buyer.

http://www.buick.com/current-offers
True but the flip side is you're essentially begging people to buy your product vs say Porsche which says "want one? Pay up".
Old 02-24-18, 11:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True but the flip side is you're essentially begging people to buy your product vs say Porsche which says "want one? Pay up".
Buick is desperate for people to buy their cars. 25% is not very good for their brand. It tells you that GM thinks the Buick brand is more prestigious than it really is. In reality, Buick sells for lower prices than some Toyota, Ford and Honda models. I am assuming the Envision is not selling very well to warrant and immediatel facelift.
Old 02-24-18, 01:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I have to say I was not impressed with GM's interiors in their late models at the autoshow in Toronto (CIAS).

I feel among the Big three, Ford has the upper edge on interior material and build quality over GM. The Regal was "nice enough" but ouch, the Envision was pretty bad I have to say. GM please... the swaths of fake glossy wood does NOT make for a premium interior. It just screams cheap.

Old 02-24-18, 02:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Big mistake whoring a facelight after only 1.4 years on the market. This plummets resale value, which increases new car incentives, which tanks GM profits. A properly run company has corporate officials making decisions years in advance on when to bring out of the country cars into the U.S., and gell the timing with facelifts and redesigns.
ah the usual nay saying. another way to look at it... the envision was launched IN CHINA in 2014. it only came to the u.s. as an add on model to the buick line here later one, and it's done well! now the refresh is around to help in the chinese and other markets.
no idea how plummeting resale on old model increases incentives on new models.

gm is quite 'properly run', attending to its leadership market position of Buick in CHINA, and taking advantage of opportunities elsewhere. seems pretty smart to me.

and it's easier to be a critic than an author. NO company has a wholly consistent strategy and a car company with multiple markets, regulations, supply chain constrains, competing feature needs, labor challenges, and on and on, in the end, does the best it can with the challenges and opportunities. gm is doing great. for example, they couldn't foresee that the delays in the tesla 3 would have some who are waiting for tesla 3s give up and jump the chevy bolt. a nice pick up.
Old 02-24-18, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no idea how plummeting resale on old model increases incentives on new models.
Models that hold their value well would lose if you increase the incentives on a new model. For example, a 4Runner is one of the best vehicles that holds its value well, it loses just 12% after one year of ownership. What would happen to a one year old 4Runner if Toyota offered a Buick-Style 25% rebate off the price of a new one? Buick's are over priced or inflated thus the need for these huge 25% incentives.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 04:19 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have to say I was not impressed with GM's interiors in their late models at the autoshow in Toronto (CIAS).

I feel among the Big three, Ford has the upper edge on interior material and build quality over GM. The Regal was "nice enough" but ouch, the Envision was pretty bad I have to say. GM please... the swaths of fake glossy wood does NOT make for a premium interior. It just screams cheap.

I have to disagree. I sat in a few Buick SUVs as my aunt was cross shopping them with the Volvo and the Land Rover Discovery. The Buick interiors really impressed me in terms of design and features. My aunt didn’t choose the Buick but the improved quality and value for the buck was quite apparent to me.
Old 02-24-18, 04:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Propulsion

I have to disagree. I sat in a few Buick SUVs as my aunt was cross shopping them with the Volvo and the Land Rover Discovery. The Buick interiors really impressed me in terms of design and features. My aunt didn’t choose the Buick but the improved quality and value for the buck was quite apparent to me.
He did say GM interiors. So what she buy instead of a Buick?
Old 02-24-18, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I feel among the Big three, Ford has the upper edge on interior material and build quality over GM.
The materials inside the Continental and the new Navigator are excellent (less so with other newer Lincolns)...but that's not necessarily the case for run-of-the-mill Ford products, which, IMO, are more cheaply-done inside than their equivalent GM competition.
Old 02-24-18, 04:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason the Envision was brought over from China was because the Buick brand didn't have anything to offer between the compact Encore and full size Enclave. Its Chevy and GMC siblings did.

It doesn't matter about all that other stuff about discounts or value etc. GM is a gigantic corporation, they know all this stuff and they know where their money comes from. It's just some extra dollars from sales in the US anyway.

Quick Reply: 2019 Buick Envision