Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 05:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

But it's not about having $100k to burn... most of these cars are leased, so buyers just decide if they can make the payments. In expensive popular cities with obscene costs of living, the lease cost of a 5ls may not be that big a deal.
Old 02-25-18, 05:49 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I will miss the quiet and "boring" Lexus vehicles. I've found I can't really use that much "sport" in daily traffic. These commercials with vehicles sliding around in clouds of smoke are just clever marketing. Quiet, smooth riding, reliable, safe, good service...sign me up! Maybe I am just getting old in my early 40's
Old 02-25-18, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think I know what you mean. Can you explain a bit more ?
Used to be that there were a bunch of "ordinary" every day coupes, Ford coupes, Olds Cutlass coupes, Camry coupe, Accord coupe. As coupes fell more and more out of favor carmakers shifted to making coupes more emotional, sportier. Mercedes is a good example of this, as is BMW.
Old 02-25-18, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But it's not about having $100k to burn... most of these cars are leased, so buyers just decide if they can make the payments. In expensive popular cities with obscene costs of living, the lease cost of a 5ls may not be that big a deal.
Exactly. This car will lease for $900-1,300 a month depending on how well optioned one is. Lots of people younger than 40 here who can make lease payments like that standing on their head.

Now, I don't think thats the target for this car. I think if Lexus could get an average age in the 50s they would be absolutely elated.
Old 02-25-18, 05:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Totally agree with you Matty.

It's fine to niche sportiness, but just two issues:

(1) Now, it's even more important than ever to be good looking, but 5LS is not that attractive - esp the rear 3/4 view.
In any case, after the badge, the styling always comes next for the mass market.

(2) On the topic of sporty niches, just what age group do you think/suspect Lexus is targeting with 5LS?
(a) the young 20-30 year olds?
(b) the 30-40 year olds?
(c) the 40-50 year olds?
(d) the 50-60 year olds?
(e) the 60-70 year olds?

I wanted to ask what age bracket is 5LS trying to target, because do most 20-30 year olds, or most 30-40 year old, or even 40-50 year olds have $100k to spend on a 5LS?
My impression is that the LS designers are trying this very Japanese identity take on the car's styling to make a statement that is distinct and different from the Germans. This is their PR and often repeated here too. So my context is, who are the LS designers really interested in? Could it be the current generation of LS owners who are easily in their 60s and 70s? No, I think not.

So that really leaves the younger baby boomers who crave a sporty drive without the hassles of German car ownership, and the older GenX crowd. It seems to me that it's a demographic of between 45 year old nerdy techy males and youthful 50-something achievers. All willing to drop $100K, and despite what we see on CL which has a very rich demo, it is a very small group of people who are willing to do that. Screw up the styling and you're a niche seller in a niche market. Not good.

But anyways, this is a thread by one individual poster's experience, so I would probably reflect more on the main LS thread. I'm a big Toyo/Lex nerd in some ways, but this car doesn't do anything for me. It can drive like whatever - but if you don't fix the styling, it's not going anywhere soon.
Old 02-25-18, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly. This car will lease for $900-1,300 a month depending on how well optioned one is. Lots of people younger than 40 here who can make lease payments like that standing on their head.

Now, I don't think thats the target for this car. I think if Lexus could get an average age in the 50s they would be absolutely elated.

Yes, the arguments for a lease, on a car this expensive, make more sense than for outright purchases. In this D.C. area, of course, even with its general affluence, leasing keeps a lot of luxury-car dealerships in business.
Old 02-25-18, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog98
I will miss the quiet and "boring" Lexus vehicles. I've found I can't really use that much "sport" in daily traffic. These commercials with vehicles sliding around in clouds of smoke are just clever marketing. Quiet, smooth riding, reliable, safe, good service...sign me up! Maybe I am just getting old in my early 40's
Good Post.

Maybe I am just getting old in my early 40's
If that's the case, I got old in my teens LOL.
Old 02-25-18, 07:46 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
My impression is that the LS designers are trying this very Japanese identity take on the car's styling to make a statement that is distinct and different from the Germans. This is their PR and often repeated here too. So my context is, who are the LS designers really interested in? Could it be the current generation of LS owners who are easily in their 60s and 70s? No, I think not.

So that really leaves the younger baby boomers who crave a sporty drive without the hassles of German car ownership, and the older GenX crowd. It seems to me that it's a demographic of between 45 year old nerdy techy males and youthful 50-something achievers. All willing to drop $100K, and despite what we see on CL which has a very rich demo, it is a very small group of people who are willing to do that. Screw up the styling and you're a niche seller in a niche market. Not good.

But anyways, this is a thread by one individual poster's experience, so I would probably reflect more on the main LS thread. I'm a big Toyo/Lex nerd in some ways, but this car doesn't do anything for me. It can drive like whatever - but if you don't fix the styling, it's not going anywhere soon.
You're only too right.

5LS is a great lowish riding sporty niche, with a slightly rough 3.5 TT to meet modern day environmental standards.
Pity the styling.

However, I suspect that the sporty niche targeting the young in the 5LS still may not attract large sales volumes.
Having said that, it is fine to sporty niche target the young with Corollas, Camries, RAV4's and Highlanders.
Old 02-25-18, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally overall think the car is very good looking
Old 02-25-18, 08:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I personally overall think the car is very good looking
Agreed. Looks sharp and contemporary. I do like the 13 460 as well, just in a different way. White on beige.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-25-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 08:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I think the ls500is unique looking outside with a gorgeous interior. I don't care for the exterior front end, old school curves, and giant front/rear overhangs.
Old 02-25-18, 08:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts

Sounds pressure readings are about 20% of the actual experience. The total harmonic signature is what really matters that is something you can only experience in person.
Old 02-25-18, 09:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Sounds pressure readings are about 20% of the actual experience. The total harmonic signature is what really matters that is something you can only experience in person.
I agree with this for sure.
Old 02-25-18, 09:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Yes.
A sound has its lowest frequency, called the fundamental frequency.
Then, there are also frequencies which are whole number multiples of that fundamental frequency.
The actual volume and decay of the whole number multiples of the fundamental frequency produces the "timbre", which varies from source to source, despite the fundamental frequency and amplitude being the same.
Thus, despite the volume [amplitude], and fundamental frequency being the same, the timbre is different from source to source, and it is very difficult to quantitate or make objective the timber at this present point in time.

Old 02-25-18, 09:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Let’s not make this all about car ambient noise please, let’s get back to he LS500.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion