CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Stuck choosing between two 2012 CT200H's at local dealerships. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 01:04 AM
ThisOrThat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck choosing between two 2012 CT200H's at local dealerships. Need opinions.

Hey ya'll.

I'm new to the Lexus family and also new to hybrid vehicles like the CT200H in general. After driving one, I have been impressed with the MPG, exterior styling, and comfy interior. I have one slight issue, however. I recently "purchased" a black 2012 CT 200H Premium 64K miles from Vroom, which comes with 7-day return policy. I'm on Day 3. Over the weekend, I visited a Honda dealership that happened to be selling a white 2012 CT200H Premium 48K miles. It also has the "F-Sport" branding on it and I noticed some things are a bit different outside and inside. This one costs approximately $800 more than the other one from Vroom, taxes and fees all in.

Anyhow, I'll get straight to the point and mention the details for each, some of which may be bias from my perspective.

Vroom's Black 2012 CT200H Premium:
  • 64K miles, came from PA, and ended in Texas. Bought by Texas Auto Direct (Vroom) > sold to buyer in TX in 2014 > buyer traded back to Texas Auto Direct a few years later. Not sure if Harvey affected the vehicle.
  • No service history. Last recorded service history was at 5000 miles in 10/2013, per Lexus website
  • Exterior: Black Interior: Tan NuLux (My preferred setup)
  • $800 cheaper than Honda's offering
  • Averaging 44.5 mpg, according to count from prior owner
  • No owner's manual
  • All mats
  • 3 month warranty
  • Unlimited roadside assistance for 1 year
  • 7-day return policy
Honda's White 2012 CT200H Premium/F-Sport:
  • 48K miles, came from NJ, and ended in Texas. Bought by Lexus > L/Certified by Lexus > sold to buyer in 2015 > buyer traded in at Honda(?)
  • Up-to-date service history. Last service history was 50,000 mile maintenance at a Lexus dealership on 2/01/2018. Also did a "CT Curtain Shield Ab" Recall.
  • Exterior: White Interior: Black NuLux
  • $800 more than Vroom's offering
  • Averaging 38 mpg, according to count from prior owner
  • Chipped away damage likely from hitting a curb on Right Back rim and tire
  • Has owner's manual
  • All mats
  • 1 year warranty (verbal)
  • 0 Basic, 27 months of Hybrid, 3 months of Drivetrain, 27 months of Emissions, 3 months of Corrosion (Other car may have similar warranty length, but unsure how to check)
  • Honda is offering Connect Tech (tracking vehicle purposes) and nitro in tires for free
  • No return policy
2/1/2018 SERVICE: 50000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
DESCRIPTION: 50000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS A 50K MILE SERVICE ~ ~INCLUDES FACTORY AND DEALER RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE ~ ~50K MILES OR 60 MONTHS

I think my heart and soul is into the black CT with tan interior but my mind is telling me the white CT makes more logical sense. Thoughts? What would you get? Also, how important is service history when it comes to these vehicles? I often hear the Prius drivetrain is one of the most reliable.

Last edited by ThisOrThat; 02-25-18 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 02:22 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Congrats on the CT200h!!!

I have a 2013 CT200h bought new. Loaded with all options EXCEPT HUD and F-Sport.

The F-Sport will ride firmer due to different springs setup as I recall. The CT200h is firm enough already without the F-Sport. I got the one without F-SPORT was bc mine was loaded and had an MRSP way up there and nobody was buying it and there the dealership had to discount it heavily to move it. So I went ahead with it. Bought it as a commuter car and it's GREAT!! LOW LOW LOW MAINTENANCE!!!

The black one WITHOUT any service records MAY be a problem if you have any warranty issues down the road. Lexus may say the whatever issues you are having is due to DEFERRED MAINTENANCE (OR LACK OF MAINTENANCE).

DON'T sweat over the mpg. If I drove like a grandpa and irritated EVERYONE behind me, I COULD get like 58 miles to the gallon or more. If I drove NORMAL, I get around 38 mpg in mixed city and mostly highway cruising at 70 mph. If I drove like I'm wishing I'm in my Lexus RCF or my MB SLK55 AMG, then I will get only 27 mpg!!!

There is a "history" you can recall from the NAVIGATION screen to see past mpg's assuming the prior owner had not CLEARED them.

With EITHER one I would DEFINITELY get an independent Lexus dealership to do a pre purchase inspection. It will cost around a couple of hundred dollars, but we'll worth it. The Lexus dealership service will go over the entire car and point out in writing to you if anything needed attention (especially the hybrid batteries). I suspect you will need to replace the engine's 12 volt battery soon. The hybrid batteries SHOULD last a long time to the tune of 300K+ miles. Many factors determine the life of the hybrid batteries, but it is often the absolute "time" (not do much mileage) will determine the hybrid batteries lifespan in conjunction with if you are in a hot/humid vs cold/dry environment. Hot/humid environment kills batteries.

Look at the tires!!! If they put on some cheap **** tires, then you will not get the most mpg!! Mine came with Micheline tires with the "Green X" notation on the tire sidewalls (for low rolling resistance designed for hybrids). The exact model I don't recall......I think it's "Primacy something". These SPECIFIC tires are very pricy, but will last a long time (50K miles +). I blew one tire and had nail puncture in another, so I replaced all 4 with OEM tires from Tire Rack during one of their clearance sales!!!

I would also asked the Honda dealership selling the CT200h to come down on the price to match the other one. They will tell you no and theirs has lower MILEAGE and etc. Tell them you don't care and wanted it at lower price or you walk. Nobody's beating down car dealership'' doors looking for a hybrid these days given that gas is still relatively CHEAP. AS a matter of fact a lot people still think hybrids are troublesome due to the hybrid batteries. But I know these are very reliable.

Lastly AFTER you get it, I would change out the OEM halogen headlights and fogs to FANLESS HIGH OUTPUT LEDs. See my posts on LEDs for headlights and fogs.

Good luck!!

Originally Posted by ThisOrThat
Hey ya'll.

I'm new to the Lexus family and also new to hybrid vehicles like the CT200H in general. After driving one, I have been impressed with the MPG, exterior styling, and comfy interior. I have one slight issue, however. I recently "purchased" a black 2012 CT 200H Premium 64K miles from Vroom, which comes with 7-day return policy. I'm on Day 3. Over the weekend, I visited a Honda dealership that happened to be selling a white 2012 CT200H Premium 48K miles. It also has the "F-Sport" branding on it and I noticed some things are a bit different outside and inside. This one costs approximately $800 more than the other one from Vroom, taxes and fees all in.

Anyhow, I'll get straight to the point and mention the details for each, some of which may be bias from my perspective.

Vroom's Black 2012 CT200H Premium:
  • 64K miles, came from PA, and ended in Texas. Bought by Texas Auto Direct (Vroom) > sold to buyer in TX in 2014 > buyer traded back to Texas Auto Direct a few years later. Not sure if Harvey affected the vehicle.
  • No service history. Last recorded service history was at 5000 miles in 10/2013, per Lexus website
  • Exterior: Black Interior: Tan NuLux (My preferred setup)
  • $800 cheaper than Honda's offering
  • Averaging 44.5 mpg, according to count from prior owner
  • No owner's manual
  • All mats
  • 3 month warranty
  • Unlimited roadside assistance for 1 year
  • 7-day return policy
Honda's White 2012 CT200H Premium/F-Sport:
  • 48K miles, came from NJ, and ended in Texas. Bought by Lexus > L/Certified by Lexus > sold to buyer in 2015 > buyer traded in at Honda(?)
  • Up-to-date service history. Last service history was 50,000 mile maintenance at a Lexus dealership on 2/01/2018. Also did a "CT Curtain Shield Ab" Recall.
  • Exterior: White Interior: Black NuLux
  • $800 more than Vroom's offering
  • Averaging 38 mpg, according to count from prior owner
  • Chipped away damage likely from hitting a curb on Right Back rim and tire
  • Has owner's manual
  • All mats
  • 1 year warranty (verbal)
  • 0 Basic, 27 months of Hybrid, 3 months of Drivetrain, 27 months of Emissions, 3 months of Corrosion (Other car may have similar warranty length, but unsure how to check)
  • Honda is offering Connect Tech (tracking vehicle purposes) and nitro in tires for free
  • No return policy
2/1/2018 SERVICE: 50000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM
DESCRIPTION: 50000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY-NON OEM ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS A 50K MILE SERVICE ~ ~INCLUDES FACTORY AND DEALER RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE ~ ~50K MILES OR 60 MONTHS

I think my heart and soul is into the black CT with tan interior but my mind is telling me the white CT makes more logical sense. Thoughts? What would you get? Also, how important is service history when it comes to these vehicles? I often hear the Prius drivetrain is one of the most reliable.
Old 02-25-18, 05:25 AM
dnvs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Congrats on the CT200h!!!

I have a 2013 CT200h bought new. Loaded with all options EXCEPT HUD and F-Sport.

The F-Sport will ride firmer due to different springs setup as I recall. The CT200h is firm enough already without the F-Sport. I got the one without F-SPORT was bc mine was loaded and had an MRSP way up there and nobody was buying it and there the dealership had to discount it heavily to move it. So I went ahead with it. Bought it as a commuter car and it's GREAT!! LOW LOW LOW MAINTENANCE!!!

The black one WITHOUT any service records MAY be a problem if you have any warranty issues down the road. Lexus may say the whatever issues you are having is due to DEFERRED MAINTENANCE (OR LACK OF MAINTENANCE).

DON'T sweat over the mpg. If I drove like a grandpa and irritated EVERYONE behind me, I COULD get like 58 miles to the gallon or more. If I drove NORMAL, I get around 38 mpg in mixed city and mostly highway cruising at 70 mph. If I drove like I'm wishing I'm in my Lexus RCF or my MB SLK55 AMG, then I will get only 27 mpg!!!

There is a "history" you can recall from the NAVIGATION screen to see past mpg's assuming the prior owner had not CLEARED them.

With EITHER one I would DEFINITELY get an independent Lexus dealership to do a pre purchase inspection. It will cost around a couple of hundred dollars, but we'll worth it. The Lexus dealership service will go over the entire car and point out in writing to you if anything needed attention (especially the hybrid batteries). I suspect you will need to replace the engine's 12 volt battery soon. The hybrid batteries SHOULD last a long time to the tune of 300K+ miles. Many factors determine the life of the hybrid batteries, but it is often the absolute "time" (not do much mileage) will determine the hybrid batteries lifespan in conjunction with if you are in a hot/humid vs cold/dry environment. Hot/humid environment kills batteries.

Look at the tires!!! If they put on some cheap **** tires, then you will not get the most mpg!! Mine came with Micheline tires with the "Green X" notation on the tire sidewalls (for low rolling resistance designed for hybrids). The exact model I don't recall......I think it's "Primacy something". These SPECIFIC tires are very pricy, but will last a long time (50K miles +). I blew one tire and had nail puncture in another, so I replaced all 4 with OEM tires from Tire Rack during one of their clearance sales!!!

I would also asked the Honda dealership selling the CT200h to come down on the price to match the other one. They will tell you no and theirs has lower MILEAGE and etc. Tell them you don't care and wanted it at lower price or you walk. Nobody's beating down car dealership'' doors looking for a hybrid these days given that gas is still relatively CHEAP. AS a matter of fact a lot people still think hybrids are troublesome due to the hybrid batteries. But I know these are very reliable.

Lastly AFTER you get it, I would change out the OEM halogen headlights and fogs to FANLESS HIGH OUTPUT LEDs. See my posts on LEDs for headlights and fogs.

Good luck!!
Can you send a link to your thread on the LED headlights and fog? I tried looking for it but cannot find it. Thanks!
Old 02-26-18, 09:08 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally, i'd go with the White CT. It's almost 20k miles difference! It has more history, was L/certified so I think it was well taken care of. At the end of the day, if you prefer the black w/tan interior, $800 less, no service history then that's you. For me i'd consider the 20k mileage difference, which is huge to me, the service history, new tires by Honda, and I could deal with the chip on the rim. You can bargain them to come down due to the chip or replace the rim..
Old 02-26-18, 07:04 PM
squid808
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with miamiboy and also black is extremely hard to take care of (i have black). The Fsport model basically has different bumper and side skirt style and it also has slight drop with the springs. The only thing i have an issue with is the 3 month warranty which seems short. Not saying something will happen, but you never know.
Old 02-26-18, 09:45 PM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my 2015 I had a choice between several colors and took a dark grey over a white one because I don't care much for white cars in general. But when I see a white 200CT on the road, I must say that it really looks good in white. But ultimately, you should take the one that makes you feel good when you sit in it.
Old 02-27-18, 09:41 AM
ramenboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what everybody said.. go w the white one. there's a lexus certified service history, blah blah blah.

and i wouldn't worry about what the mpg on each listing is. like lesuxrus said, depending on how heavy you want your foot to be, mileage can vary. if i'm in sport mode all the time, i'm down to 42mpg (less in the winter); if i'm in eco mode, i've been able to hit 52.

enjoy the ride, man!
Old 02-27-18, 09:04 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Search function is your friend.

Lookie here:. There are others posted by me, but this is the main one. I don't know if the exact same LED bulbs are still available.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...eadlights.html

These are the CURRENT version of the LED bulbs. Make sure it FITS YOUR CT200h. Mine is a 2013 CT200h and uses H11 as I recall. Different years MAY use different ones. I would either pull one of the OEM halogen bulbs out and see. Please note:. I have no relationship with the seller. I'm just a happy customer. Last time I checked these are selling for around $55 for a pair.

http://CAR ROVER H11 LED Headlight B..._bJJLAbVX44RKV

Originally Posted by dnvs
Can you send a link to your thread on the LED headlights and fog? I tried looking for it but cannot find it. Thanks!

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-27-18 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 05:36 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

So you the one.I was also ready to buy that same car from Vroom,It was a sweet looking car.I noticed it's back so i'm assuming you went with the white one from Honda.I myself ended up with a color that was not my first choice also but i'm very happy with the one i ended up with.It had complete maintenance history, i also had it checked out by lemon squad,i was pretty happy with there results except they missed that one tire was not the same size as the rest.But the only way you would notice is if you were getting an alignment.So check each tire yourselves to see if they the same size.I can get over a $190 tire in time but if it was something mechanical then i would be pissed.Good luck with your car and enjoy.