Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Walmart nearby carries chemical guys products...legit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 09:40 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Walmart nearby carries chemical guys products...legit?

Is this legit? Or is it a gimmicky line thats not really "Chemical Guys" but another product rebranded for walmart?

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-28-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 12:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't see why not, just look up the product and see if the bottles look the same as what is being sold on boutique sites or Amazon. Wal Mart would have a major lawsuit filed against them if they sold a knock off product with the same name. Auto Glym sells at chain stores when it used to be mainly at boutique sites, Griots Garage I think sells at Advance Auto, sometimes Wal Mart and other chain stores get higher end product lines.
Old 02-28-18, 01:00 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

You would think that, but i have seen walmart get away with it before.
Old 02-28-18, 01:46 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

It's more likely for CG to alter their product to meet walmart's pricing demand than for Walmart to sell a rebranded product.

The price manipulation is usually done through quantity and bottle sizes. That's why a lot of cleaning products sold at Walmart vs Target are different sizes.
Old 02-28-18, 04:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
You would think that, but i have seen walmart get away with it before.
With what products? I am sure you could call or email chemical guys and ask them if Wal Mart sells their products now.
Old 03-03-18, 09:54 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Do a quick search on Google for a recent NBC nightly news story (just this past week) about several major companies including Walmart and Amazon that have been caught selling counterfeit products. The labels and bottles look exactly the same. There were some instances they claim they didn't even know it was counterfeit. Not saying that the chemical guys product is but you really never know...

Edit: Here I found the link

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1172114499679
Old 03-03-18, 10:13 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

CG in general is just a bunch of BS products.

They have SOME okay products, but most of it you could not pay me to use.
Old 03-04-18, 08:39 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by UDel
With what products? I am sure you could call or email chemical guys and ask them if Wal Mart sells their products now.
Tires, some motor oil. Wal-Mart carries Royal Purple and it says "Fully Synthetic" on the bottle, but RP reformulated its Full Synthetic oil to a lower quality when they started carrying it. To get the top tier group 5, you have to by the Royal Purple XRP line, which is on par with Redline, and other Group 5's. The stuff they sell at Wal-Mart is equivalent to mobil 1.

Tires are another one. The tires sold at Wal-Mart are not of the same quality as those sold elsewhere.

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Do a quick search on Google for a recent NBC nightly news story (just this past week) about several major companies including Walmart and Amazon that have been caught selling counterfeit products. The labels and bottles look exactly the same. There were some instances they claim they didn't even know it was counterfeit. Not saying that the chemical guys product is but you really never know...

Edit: Here I found the link

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1172114499679
Yep, this has happened too.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
CG in general is just a bunch of BS products.

They have SOME okay products, but most of it you could not pay me to use.
Really? I always thought they were pretty good.
Old 03-04-18, 09:06 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I used to think that too several years ago when I was new to detailing but quickly understood that CG is just a bunch of fancy labels and overpriced garbage with a GREAT marketing and private labeling department.

Their polishes are complete garbage, literally no professional would ever use that stuff....why would you when there are MUCH better products, their countless variants of waxes and sealants are a joke for the most part.... (Lava Wax haha, need I say more?), their MF towels are OKAY but pretty overpriced, their car wash soaps are nothing to brag about, not bad but definitely not the best, and their website is the biggest nightmare you'll ever see with fake "sale ends today" plastered everywhere just to get people to buy their crap.

CG is really good at marketing for the weekend warriors that need stuff in small quantities and like fancy videos, fancy bottle packaging, and looking at half naked girls on their website. As far as I know, most professionals DO NOT use CG for the most part and if they do, it's just one or two products maybe.
Old 03-04-18, 05:41 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

CG has a lower entry cost, but it isn't as efficient as some of the other products on the market. If I'm spending my own money on products, CG has never been my 1st choice.

If I'm given products for free, then I'll use the CG on cars where the owners are easily satisfied.
Old 03-05-18, 10:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Tires, some motor oil. Wal-Mart carries Royal Purple and it says "Fully Synthetic" on the bottle, but RP reformulated its Full Synthetic oil to a lower quality when they started carrying it. To get the top tier group 5, you have to by the Royal Purple XRP line, which is on par with Redline, and other Group 5's. The stuff they sell at Wal-Mart is equivalent to mobil 1.

Tires are another one. The tires sold at Wal-Mart are not of the same quality as those sold elsewhere.

Yep, this has happened too.

Interesting. I heard too many bad stories about Royal Purple to use it, especially on turbo charged engines that are run hard, the fact that it costs more then most oils on the shelf is more reason why I don't use it. It is difficult to believe it is a full synthetic when there are many reports of it performing worse then semi synthetic or synthetic blend oils but I think the Royal Purple they sell at Wall Mart is still legitimate Royal Purple and not a knock off, it is just not the higher quality RP. German Castrol OW30 is a solid group 4 full synthetic you can occasionally find at retail stores.