GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 07:20 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Acrad already posted the answer. I confirm his findings. For anyone that’s wondering, 5th gen 4Runners are the same when it comes to removing the mirror.

I would like to find a way to secure the mirror even more. Currently at highway speeds and greater, my driver side mirror shakes. Service advisor says it’s the “nature of the beast” due to the larger mirrors.
Old 03-03-18, 07:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Is it just the mirror assembly or do you think it includes the motor piece with white mount? If just mirror you may want to put some extra material like that stock white stuff. I don't think one would want to use an adhesive here as you would probably increase the chance of breaking the mirror on subsequent removals.
Old 03-03-18, 08:03 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I found pics of how the outer mirror is attached

Old 03-03-18, 10:22 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

So, the out case did held only by the small taps... Looks way too easy to break if not be careful to remove.....
Old 03-03-18, 01:48 PM
grob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirror - broken cover only

Hi Folks -- new member here. Pulling out of garage here in Chicago I snagged the housing of the side mirror (some pieces shattered off), then nailed the clear blinker light cover. Everything works tho: folds, BSM, blinker, etc. Are OEM or after-market products available to replace the light cover and main outer cover only? I did some searching on parts sites, but got varying accounts, so thought I'd come to the experts :-) Thanks in advance for any guidance!

related: I have similar issue with rear spoiler getting partially smashed -- sounds like from reading on here no choice but to replace entire piece.
Attached Thumbnails Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions-img_3458.jpg   Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions-img_3457.jpg   Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions-img_3456.jpg  
Old 03-03-18, 02:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Assume based on rims and BSM it is a '14+

The outer cover appears to be readily replaceable OEM part.

https://www.mylparts.com/

Unfortunately that LED piece is part of the base mirror.
Old 03-03-18, 02:53 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by hzhao
So, the out case did held only by the small taps... Looks way too easy to break if not be careful to remove.....
One of the reasons why I hate working on vehicles outside or in an unheated area during the colder months. Every piece of plastic clip/connector or attachment ends up being brittle enough to break.
Old 03-03-18, 02:55 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Is it just the mirror assembly or do you think it includes the motor piece with white mount? If just mirror you may want to put some extra material like that stock white stuff. I don't think one would want to use an adhesive here as you would probably increase the chance of breaking the mirror on subsequent removals.
It maybe just the mirror. More than likely the white glob of goo is enough to secure it. I’m not sure what that goo is, but maybe some kind of putty would work too?
Old 03-03-18, 03:00 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Maybe just some sealing type putting

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ste...HPP571878.html
The following users liked this post:
ObsidianBl (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 05:11 PM
grob
Driver School Candidate

Yes it is a 2014...I should have said that initially.

Regarding the clear lens cover for the yellow turn signal light (which is working), is that lens only available as part of entire mirror replacement?
Old 03-03-18, 05:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I havent seen that sold as a separate piece anywhere. A unit off a wrecked GX would have best price.
Old 03-03-18, 05:57 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by grob
Yes it is a 2014...I should have said that initially.

Regarding the clear lens cover for the yellow turn signal light (which is working), is that lens only available as part of entire mirror replacement?
Unfortunately, the mirror assembly only come with two parts: the main body without shining cover and the cover that matches your color. Total cost is about $1000 if buy new. One option that you may have is to shopping for used one from junk yard, then order the cover of your color, the cover costs about $50. If your damage only with cover and turn signal, all other parts and function are undamaged, all you need is to find a junk yard piece and take the turn signal out and replace it, and get a new cover. Since your cover is already broken, just remove it, there are three screws hold the turn signal piece, it is an easy replacement. The cover just push it one and held with clips. Good luck!

Last edited by hzhao; 03-03-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 04:19 AM
grob
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, the mirror assembly only come with two parts: the main body without shining cover and the cover that matches your color. Total cost is about $1000 if buy new. One option that you may have is to shopping for used one from junk yard, then order the cover of your color, the cover costs about $50. If your damage only with cover and turn signal, all other parts and function are undamaged, all you need is to find a junk yard piece and take the turn signal out and replace it, and get a new cover. Since your cover is already broken, just remove it, there are three screws hold the turn signal piece, it is an easy replacement. The cover just push it one and held with clips. Good luck!
Thank you both so much...I'll pursue main cover OEM replacement then try to source junked part for lens cover and report back on findings. Best, Greg
Old 03-04-18, 05:06 AM
grob
Driver School Candidate

Seems like I can buy part number 81740-60100 here work? Seems to be what I'd need in additional to main cover housing

thanks again
Old 03-04-18, 05:07 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Good catch.. I didn't notice that part was being sold separately

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Problems/Repairs/Questions