LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Holy Cats !

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 07:27 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Holy Cats !

Gentlemen get your wallets out. Only 33,000 miles. I hope I am not being irritating I just want to see members find a keeper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Lexus-...25.m3641.l6368

Last edited by Hobycat; 03-04-18 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-18, 07:40 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Holy Cats !-xbjebab.jpg

Holy Cats !-q0xaltn.jpg

Holy Cats !-p1vf3vw.jpg

Holy Cats !-ictxdrf.jpg

Holy Cats !-c2ocqql.jpg

Holy Cats !-htjt8mp.jpg

Condition:Used
“amazing find please call if serious 407 440 1508”
Time left:Time left: 4d 07h Thursday, 3:21PM

Price:US $13,500.00

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Last updated on Mar 04, 2018 05:01:11 PST View all revisions
Vehicle Specifics for 1991 Lexus LS
You've got your eye on a 1991 Lexus LSWe've got our eye on the Vehicle's HistoryAutoCheck found 18 records for this 1991 Lexus LS
VIN:JT8UF11E4M0089852 Engine:8 CylindersStyle/Body:Sedan
Buy AutoCheck Report

Item specifics

Condition:UsedSeller Notes:“amazing find please call if serious 407 440 1508”Year:1991VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):JT8UF11E4M0089852Mileage:33,050Transmission:AutomaticMake:LexusBody Type:SedanModel:LS

Warranty:Vehicle does NOT have an existing warrantyTrim:LS400Vehicle Title:ClearEngine:4.0L V8 DOHC 24VOptions:Cassette Player, Leather Seats, SunroofDrive Type:RWDSafety Features:Anti-Lock Brakes, Driver AirbagPower Options:Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power SeatsExterior Color:BLACKFuel Type:GasolineInterior Color:TANFor Sale ByealerNumber of Cylinders:8
one local Florida owner
33 k original miles- miles are actual on title as well clean Autocheck and Carfax Brand new tires installed this week fully serviced Truly amazing find ,senior driven owner retired from driving once in a lifetime find if your serious call 407 440 108 No accidents original paint seats have not been dyed or redone they are that nice FREE SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE US WE DO SHIPPING AS WELL MUST SEE

Last edited by spuds; 03-04-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 10:01 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

I saw this car on Ebay the other day, and I would like to point out a few details in case anyone is considering this vehicle so they can make an informed decision.

The car has been repainted, at least on the lower half.

The first part I noticed is that the lower trim on the front and rear bumpers should be black, since it is pre-1993. Instead, they were repainted silver. Also, there appears to be overspray on the rubber part of the fender moulding:

Here is the rear bumper. This lower area should also be black, but it is not:

The rear bumper may also not have been prepped the best. The clearcoat of the gray paint appears to be peeling at the seam where it meets the chrome, and the black paint looks like it has some overspray on the upper part of the chrome. This could be an illusion from the peeled chrome trim:

The rear bumper chrome has also fully peeled all-around. The paint could have been very faded at one time:

And the rear left center cap has peeled, which indicates the car may not have been waxed as often as it could have:

In addition, the assumption of a respray can be made from the fact that the lower half of the car is a much lighter gray than it originally was. If this car was Black Onyx or Black Jade Pearl, it should be a much darker, deeper gray. The lower mouldings become lighter when they age (clearcoat degradation from scratches or fade), but they still hold a decent gloss on this car. This is what the mouldings should look like:

Also, the wood is damaged, and the vinyl of the dashboard is lifting up at the top of the vents, and sagging on the glove box door. This indicates that the car probably spent a decent amount of time in the sun (which might have led to the respray). The climate control screen suffers from the common failure, too:

Therefore, despite the mileage and the leather being original and looking so nice, I would not consider this car being worth $14,000.

Whether if or not the seller knows of these parts of the car's history, I don't think this is a fair price right now. If someone doesn't mind this and just wants a low mileage car, then this is not a bad buy. Factory panel fitment on this car is excellent overall.

I would personally pay no more than $5,000.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 03-04-18 at 06:09 PM. Reason: wording
The following 2 users liked this post by CELSI0R:
Amskeptic (03-05-18), spuds (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 02:58 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Celsior,
Thanks for the clarification I will be bit more careful of what I post. I had not seen or looked close enough to see those details initially.
Old 03-04-18, 04:07 PM
spuds
Racer

Its fantastic to have experts like Celsior to rip these things apart,thank you C!
Old 03-04-18, 04:28 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

wow Celsior! very in depth review of the faults. You might have saved someone from a big mistake! nice work.
Old 03-04-18, 04:55 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Without someone else saying it I probably would have put the lower paint color up to difference in light, but it does look much brighter than I remembered. I just recently found out these were offered in that gloss black but I've seen some JZX80 cars painted the same two tone. And I'm all for these cars appreciating but $13.5k for a pre-92 UCF10 with any miles at all seems laughable.
Old 03-04-18, 04:58 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by creilly
And I'm all for these cars appreciating but $13.5k for a pre-92 UCF10 with any miles at all seems laughable.
Not an If,only a when.
Old 03-04-18, 05:48 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by Hobycat
Celsior,
Thanks for the clarification I will be bit more careful of what I post. I had not seen or looked close enough to see those details initially.
No worries, Hobycat.

I didn't mean to sound harsh or tear your post apart - sorry if it seemed that way. I was complaining about the seller and the car itself

No need to change how or what you post. I should think more about my wording

Originally Posted by spuds
Its fantastic to have experts like Celsior to rip these things apart,thank you C!
Originally Posted by Losiracer2
wow Celsior! very in depth review of the faults. You might have saved someone from a big mistake! nice work.
Originally Posted by creilly
Without someone else saying it I probably would have put the lower paint color up to difference in light, but it does look much brighter than I remembered. I just recently found out these were offered in that gloss black but I've seen some JZX80 cars painted the same two tone. And I'm all for these cars appreciating but $13.5k for a pre-92 UCF10 with any miles at all seems laughable.
Thanks, guys. I think I've spent too much time trying to learn as much as I can find about these cars... all of it mostly in an attempt to find out more about my car's history and other cars in general. My car has had parts resprayed, so I've noticed how some body shops can cut corners to save on costs (on labor and materials).

As I mentioned before, I wanted to post about the problems because I want to make sure everyone makes an informed decision when considering this vehicle. I noticed the outrageous price the car was listed with and the very low miles it has. Other notes like "original paint" intrigued me to look over the car.

This is not to say I wouldn't love it if these cars appreciated to $13k right now, either

Last edited by CELSI0R; 03-04-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 03:09 AM
Hobycat
Driver

Not at all. I didn't think of it as a harsh critique. I was impressed, and thank you for the education. I am new to this and learning. As we know, these old new ls400-430's are a real treasure once found and maintained. I purchased a near perfect example for myself and would like to pass these finds on if possible. I cringed when I saw the wood at the transmission shifter you pointed out. That is the first thing I look for at the top of a wood steering wheel, sunlight overexposure. We need more good mentors. I'm sure I'll find another LS and am looking forward to your review.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (03-05-18)
Old 03-05-18, 03:18 PM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, nobody here would learn anything if everyone responded to this thread with "wow what a beautiful car!" I think this ends up being a good example of a car that presents well initially but has some telltale signs of a questionable history. I know if I saw that out on the road I'd lose my mind, but it's the little details that make these cars.
Old 03-05-18, 08:32 PM
spuds
Racer

Nothing turns me off faster than 'respray', If it isnt done right, $$$$,it looks like junk in 2-3 years.
Old 03-06-18, 11:13 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

thats insane. well, you know what they say. theres an *** for every seat. smh.
Old 03-22-18, 03:47 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Wow. Not cool.
I am glad Celsior caught this and let me...us know the score. I hope the buyer gets some satisfaction.
Old 03-22-18, 05:04 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by Hobycat
Wow. Not cool.
I am glad Celsior caught this and let me...us know the score. I hope the buyer gets some satisfaction.
Thanks, Hobycat. My post was a little too long, so here's a new one. For those who don't know, this car was bought by the seller for $475 and repainted, then sold as "original."

Before and after:

Quick Reply: Holy Cats !