Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 05:58 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

btw, don't forget about truffle mica, and Cyprus Pearl, two other colors that fell flat on there face and were pulled really quickly. shame about the Cyprus Pearl. they only had it on the 05-06 Ls430, and it was really nice
Old 03-26-16, 09:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Truffle mica wasn't really pulled away that quickly. It was used from 2008-2012, thats 4 years which is a pretty long time for a color all things considering.

In the end, get the color you like. Yeah it might effect resale, but its not going to be a huge issue. When I traded my ES I actually got more because it was truffle mica, apparently a popular color on the ES. I thought it was a great color.

I also had a Black Garnet Pearl ES which I also loved the color:

Then a truffle mica ES:

I've gone to silvers and greys the last couple years. I love the liquid platinum on the LS and GS (my GS was liquid platinum) but dislike the silver that comes on the NX, RX & ES (silver lining). My LS is nebula grey and I like it, but I preferred the market grey, flint mica and smokey granite.

If I were buying an NX I'd get atomic silver.
Old 03-26-16, 10:41 AM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Don't make your color decision based on what others think or feel. Always base your color decision on what YOU like. You are the one living with the car, it has to be to your liking.
As far as Nebula, it only has the blue tint when the sun is not shining. Otherwise, expect it to look like a very standard, medium gray.
I do like Nebula Gray. I changed my mind for a few reasons, some of which have been stated by others.

1. While I still think the Autumn Shimmer is a good color, it's not particularly suited for the sharp styling of the NX. Dark brown would look good on a stately luxury sedan, not an NX.

2. Flaxen is the only interior option that I liked. I hate the creme and black ones and I'm not getting an F Sport so the roja is out. So a brown on brown combination would be overkill.

3. As others have pointed out, the Autumn Shimmer is unlikely to age well and thus it will effect resale value.

4. The Nebula Gray on Flaxen interior looks sick.
Old 03-26-16, 12:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

i like the color, its different.
Old 03-26-16, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Truffle mica wasn't really pulled away that quickly. It was used from 2008-2012, thats 4 years which is a pretty long time for a color all things considering.

In the end, get the color you like. Yeah it might effect resale, but its not going to be a huge issue. When I traded my ES I actually got more because it was truffle mica, apparently a popular color on the ES. I thought it was a great color.

I also had a Black Garnet Pearl ES which I also loved the color:

Then a truffle mica ES:

I've gone to silvers and greys the last couple years. I love the liquid platinum on the LS and GS (my GS was liquid platinum) but dislike the silver that comes on the NX, RX & ES (silver lining). My LS is nebula grey and I like it, but I preferred the market grey, flint mica and smokey granite.

If I were buying an NX I'd get atomic silver.
Totally with you on both comments. Liquid Platinum is an outstanding color on the GS and LS, with lots of depth. Atomic Silver is the best on the NX (along with Nebula Grey).
Old 03-26-16, 08:07 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusbexus
Well I've been convinced by this thread. No to the Autumn Shimmer. I'm going with the Nebula Gray Pearl instead. It's not as boring a gray as I thought. There's some character in there and a bluish gray hue.

This is not mine, but I like how it looks

To each his own I suppose. I got a steal of a deal on a Nebula Grey IS250 and almost pulled the trigger but just couldn't get over how horrible the color was. It hid all the beauty of the car, blended in with the grew roads and skies, and in general was uninspiring to look at. I've never liked any grey tone tbh. I spent $1,000 more to get the same car in black and couldn't be happier. Black is sleek and makes the car stand out.
Old 03-27-16, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, just about any car looks great in black until you have to maintain it. Plus, it blends in with the black plastic around the wheel wells. I'm sure it looks great. I had a couple of black cars... Lexus and Infiniti... got tired of buffing out the swirls.

Personally, I would still go for Nebula Grey or Atomic Silver.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-27-16 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, just about any car looks great in black until you have to maintain it.
............or for about the first 20-30 minutes after you wash and dry it LOL.
Old 12-21-19, 07:34 PM
Adale70
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 Autumn Shimmer interior Parch

I would love if they make more exterior Autumn Shimmer and interior Parch RX350
would I would definitely purchase this vehicle.
Old 12-23-19, 07:04 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wasn't sure what color 'autumn shimmer' was, so looked it up. now i see why it's unpopular.

it looks WAY better in the sunlight. It has some of the best Metallic flake i have ever seen in paint.
Old 12-23-19, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
it looks WAY better in the sunlight. It has some of the best Metallic flake i have ever seen in paint.
that is one of the best lines a sales person could use.

Old 12-23-19, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually, salesperson or otherwise, most paint jobs DO look better in the sun...especially darker or gold-flake metallics.
Old 12-24-19, 05:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

When selling a car at night. “Just wait until tomorrow, after you’ve already bought it” haha
Old 05-18-20, 06:37 AM
Rx350luva
Driver School Candidate

Default Pretty

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I’m in Baltimore, and i absolutely luv this color on my rx350! I get at least a weekly compliment, especially on ☀️ days...i hope they bring it back!!!
Old 05-19-20, 12:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

It was such a pretty color. I only saw five Lexus in Autumn Shimmer at my dealer. It’s stunning when the sun hits it.

Quick Reply: Why is the Autumn Shimmer exterior color so unpopular?