LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Consumer Reports Ultra Luxury Class May 16 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 02:09 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't read CR for their opinions on cars. They just are not car people. I trust the reliability ratings they compile, but I wouldn't trust their opinions about cars. They care about stupid things, like if the car is "green" in some way, or other equally unimportant criteria. The information they provide is useful and can be enlightening, but their priorities are skewed, and their ratings show it. I'll let Road and Track or Car and Driver offer opinions, and stick to using CR to see how reliable the cars are.
Old 03-30-16, 02:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckwagon
I don't read CR for their opinions on cars. They just are not car people. I trust the reliability ratings they compile, but I wouldn't trust their opinions about cars. They care about stupid things, like if the car is "green" in some way, or other equally unimportant criteria. The information they provide is useful and can be enlightening, but their priorities are skewed, and their ratings show it. I'll let Road and Track or Car and Driver offer opinions, and stick to using CR to see how reliable the cars are.
I am in general agreement with you. I love CR and read it every month. When it comes to cars I think their reliability ratings are the most accurate you can get because so many subscribers contribute. However, I've always been suspect about their road test performance rating.

I will never forget many years ago (maybe in the 1970's) they would give the glove compartment space the same weighting as engine performance and handling. I would think anyone, such as me, interested in a Pontiac GTO or Olds 442 couldn't give 2 cents about how roomy the glove compartment was.
Old 03-30-16, 03:53 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

While it's all good reading, who care? I drive what I want and no magazine is gonna change my mind.
Old 03-31-16, 08:17 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
While it's all good reading, who cares? I drive what I want and no magazine is gonna change my mind.

Old 03-31-16, 09:36 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I agree.

But what I was trying to point out that IN SPITE of being NINE-YEARS OLD, it sill placed well.
Old 03-31-16, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Yeah I agree 100%
Old 03-31-16, 10:45 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckwagon
CR is obviously consumer-oriented, not car enthusiast-oriented. Give your own weighting to the importance of the factual measurements of their tests, and decide whether their more subjective comments about a given car align with, or are even relevant to your own subjective considerations.

IMO, CR is a valuable resource in the areas of auto reliability, safety, and measurements. Related to this, CR is also good at filtering and pointing out marketing hype. Look at how CR evaluates trunk size, for example. They evaluate that in real-world terms, like how many large and small upright suitcases will fit. That's much better than manufacturer claims of X cubic feet, some of which might be unusable.
Old 03-31-16, 08:33 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it telling that the customer satisfaction score is the best of the lot. The product is clearly not competitive in terms of feature content or interior design with the latest German offerings. (Don't flame... it's also 5 to 9 years older!) Yet the consumers are still happier with it over the long run. It just shows how important reliability is to the buyer experience.