IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Replacing rear bumper reflectors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 08:29 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKweezy
I actually did this tonight. I was going to do a DIY with pictures but it is rather simple...

just look at this thread and it is pretty similar... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-method.html

There are 2 bolts behind the wheels on the bottom of the bumper... 2 fasteners on the underside in the middle of the bumper you have to loosen away from the bottom plastic diffuser... there is one bolt behind the felt liner in the wheel well... just move the liner to the side after you remove the 2 bottom bolts as the bumper will be able to flail outwards to get in there a little better... i used an extension to get in there... again refer back to the above link to get a better understanding of this bolt behind the bumper... there will also be 2 bolts behind some covers near the lower rubber trunk liner...

If you have parking sensors, the wire is on the driver's side so don't let the bumper fall to the ground... it is held by a black plate with a screw... As i got the bumper fully detached, i would let it rest on the styrofoam reinforcement as that will give you enough space to unscrew that screw while it is sitting on the styrofoam... you can unscrew that and the bumper can rest on the ground afterwards...

For the wiring... you have to remove the bag hook... just a phillips screw... there's a fastener right above the hook where you can just wiggle from side to side with a flat head to remove the carpet liner... you will see the 3 wires going to the tailights... if you look downwards near the black plastic cover that the carpet meets, you will see the harness to where the wires go to the actual tailight and turn signal... the white with black stripe is the negative... the green wire is the parking light... the white with green stripe is the brake light... I routed it through the hole where the rubber boot is... just tap into the wires and voila...

I will post up pics later... i have a usb and got smoked lenses... but i got the "fiber optic" version rather most peeps i've seen on here got the regular SMD LED... these versions http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-TOYOTA-A...9WmCe4&vxp=mtr

the only thing with those is that the lens is actually fatter than stock so it sticks a lil further out than stock but it's not a noticeable protrusion... i just notice it as i hand wash and dry my car and i suck up the water with a towel that is usually left over in the crevice below these reflectors... it still sits inside the bumper so it's not hanging out...

LMK if you have any other questions...
Very good post, very detailed, thanks, I complete the installation today, took me around four hours, but was flawless, looks like oem. i used the bullet plugs for the wires so they can be discinected if bumper is removed.

Old 04-08-16, 08:48 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Sorry for the missing trunk lid spoiler, that's another on going project, It'll be wrapped on CF resin. And installing the CF diffuser.

Last edited by Ramfis; 04-08-16 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Remove brand
Old 04-08-16, 08:52 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm_altzza
Thanks guys, the cool thing about them is that when you brake they get brighter just like your tail lights.

here's the link where i purchased them from...
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Lexus IS-F GX470 Toyota Sienna Matrix Venza Avalon Red Lens LED Bumper Reflector Lights: Automotive

thanks for the link man appreciate it
Old 04-24-16, 10:42 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default pic of "optic" rather than LED

Here is a night pic. Post up a day pic when i get a chance.
Old 04-25-16, 09:25 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the pics! hoping to do this soon
Old 04-25-16, 10:17 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any one els have there loss of traction light stay on after this?
Old 04-25-16, 10:19 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Originally Posted by thedude23
Nope, no lights one, working as expected. Probalby check the wires and make sure you tap the correct one. White with black stripe is the neutral, green the positive, and white and green stripe the break light.
Old 04-26-16, 06:06 AM
ISFHEMS
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the light stay on after you disconnect the bumper reflectors?

Double check that you've tapped into the right wires, I did this last week and found the best place to tap in is right before the light cluster.
Old 04-26-16, 05:33 PM
Ramfis
Driver

Check my photo of the tapped wires on post #16.
Old 09-05-21, 03:25 PM
TravisB423
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jdmv8

JDM can you message me? This forum is giving me crap with DMs. I bought mine from Amazon also and they come with 3 wires. White Red and Black. Where do I wire them to? Will they work for only tail and brake?

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Yes
Bumper is pretty simple. 2 bolts in the fender well attaching it to the quarter, 2 screws revealed when you open the trunk (pop the 2 tabs out), get the plastic clips under the bumper.

Once the bumper is off, just screw off the reflectors.
for the LED reflectors, tap 1 into the other and tap the 2 applicable wires into the tail light...very simple. The 3rd wire (which dims upon braking), tap into the brake light. I don't remember the color scheme, but it was fairly easy to do without any instructions (granted you're comfortable working with basic wire tapping).

If you have specific questions you can PM me...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-06-21 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 07:59 AM
Ensi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, just ordered