Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDR works wonders. Check my thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-done-pdr.html
Old 04-14-16, 12:12 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Default Paint doesn't match %^&@*^&!%

Got the car back, and they put too much metallic flakes in. Doesn't match at all. Will try and put pics up soon. FYI, they painted the new hood, trunk, and rails above the windows!

The body shop now wants to paint all 4 doors to match. I am requesting that the body shop repaint again? Thoughts? Insurance (USAA) will look at it Monday! I cant seem to post pics, here is the link. Please tell me I am correct that the paint doesn't match at all!

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/48...924/JfaTd6.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/48...922/MYZlhp.jpg

Last edited by sapd911; 04-14-16 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 12:31 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
Got the car back, and they put too much metallic flakes in. Doesn't match at all. Will try and put pics up soon. The body shop now wants to paint all 4 doors to match. What do I do?
As I said in previous posts, the atomic silver was going to be an especially difficult color for which to get a satisfactory color match.

I'm not sure about painting all 4 doors. Also, if they paint the doors now, there is no guarantee that the doors are going to match the panels that they already painted.

Typically, with colors that are difficult to work with, the painter will blend the new paint into adjacent panels and not completely repaint those adjacent panels. If necessary, the painter can do, say, a 4 stage blend in which each stage goes a little less far into the adjacent panels so that any color differences are gradual and not noticeable.

All of this is the reason why paint work with a color like the atomic silver or a pearl white is so expensive. It is also the reason why, regardless of how beautiful some colors are, I won't consider for a moment getting a car in those hard to work with colors. There have been at least a couple of cars that I've owned with difficult to work with colors that needed some minor paint work, and even highly skilled painters weren't able to do the work so that my eye didn't catch on minor differences in the color every time I walked up to the vehicle. Thus, I ended up selling those cars sooner than I thought I had planned to as an alternative to being driven crazy every time I looked at or thought about the less than perfect color match.
Old 04-14-16, 12:59 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
As I said in previous posts, the atomic silver was going to be an especially difficult color for which to get a satisfactory color match.

I'm not sure about painting all 4 doors. Also, if they paint the doors now, there is no guarantee that the doors are going to match the panels that they already painted.

Typically, with colors that are difficult to work with, the painter will blend the new paint into adjacent panels and not completely repaint those adjacent panels. If necessary, the painter can do, say, a 4 stage blend in which each stage goes a little less far into the adjacent panels so that any color differences are gradual and not noticeable.

All of this is the reason why paint work with a color like the atomic silver or a pearl white is so expensive. It is also the reason why, regardless of how beautiful some colors are, I won't consider for a moment getting a car in those hard to work with colors. There have been at least a couple of cars that I've owned with difficult to work with colors that needed some minor paint work, and even highly skilled painters weren't able to do the work so that my eye didn't catch on minor differences in the color every time I walked up to the vehicle. Thus, I ended up selling those cars sooner than I thought I had planned to as an alternative to being driven crazy every time I looked at or thought about the less than perfect color match.
Thanks man, probably end up trading it in and losing my a$$. Awaiting on the plastic piece above the front windshield, $674 part! The one that came in was cracked during shipment! Then wait and see what the insurance says! Such a bummer, lesson learned on metallic paints! Live and learn!
Old 04-14-16, 01:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,288 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
Got the car back, and they put too much metallic flakes in. Doesn't match at all. Will try and put pics up soon. FYI, they painted the new hood, trunk, and rails above the windows!

The body shop now wants to paint all 4 doors to match. I am requesting that the body shop repaint again? Thoughts? Insurance (USAA) will look at it Monday! I cant seem to post pics, here is the link. Please tell me I am correct that the paint doesn't match at all!

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/48...924/JfaTd6.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/48...922/MYZlhp.jpg
Doors look darker to me. Try to take a photo of the side of the car.

Last edited by bc6152; 04-14-16 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 01:21 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bc6152
Doors look darker to me. Try to take a photo of the side of the car.
Just too much flake in the paint. Its obvious on the first pic. At the mercy of the insurance company. I am going to request they repaint it again!
Old 04-14-16, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Looks like the pictures made it up...yeah it definitely doesn't match...
Old 04-14-16, 02:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

My impression of atomic silver is that it should have a very "liquid" look and that the metallic aspect of it is somewhat subtle. Now, the color of the quarter panel makes it look like some color other than atomic silver.

Unfortunately, once a large area has been (badly) refinished, it becomes even more difficult to get it right on a 2nd try. Also, putting too many layers of paint on the sheet metal makes it more likely that, down the road, the paint could be subject to cracking,

I don't know much about diminished value claims, but it might be worth doing some investigating to see if it is something worth pursuing. My understanding is that it takes a bit of work to make a diminished value claim, but there is no question that your car is now worth quite a bit less than it was before the hail damage.
Old 04-14-16, 02:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Adding to what I already said, the way that paint technicians work now is that they start with a paint formula that is supposed to match the car's color. Then, they do a test painting on what they call a color card, and they match that painted color card up with other panels on the vehicle to see whether it matches or not. If the match is not satisfactory, which is often the case with 3 stage or more paints, they adjust the paint formula, and, if, after several tries, they still can't get a satisfactory match, they make a decision about whether to blend into adjacent panels.

While it is hard to make an accurate assessment from a photograph, it doesn't look like they did any of that when they painted your car.
Old 04-14-16, 07:51 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

I feel your pain. We love our Atomic silver but never imagined this sort of problem. Anyway, the pictures make it clear you don't have a match. Now the question is what to do about it. If it were me, I would probably want the doors painted to match the rest of the car - front fenders too. Then if I wasn't satisfied with that new look, I would end up trading it off. It just depends on how it looks when everything is the same color.
Old 04-14-16, 07:58 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks man, probably end up trading it in and losing my a$$. Awaiting on the plastic piece above the front windshield, $674 part! The one that came in was cracked during shipment! Then wait and see what the insurance says!

I didn't want to suggest it but that is exactly what I would do - repair it as well as you can and if your not happy take the loss and replace it. This is why I have started leasing my cars. And if you like Atomic Silver I would stay with it - your car is very nice. And this can't happen again - can it?

Is a diminished value claim possible under your own comprehensive coverage which I assume is that you are dealing with? This is certainly big dollar diminished value.

Dave Mac
Old 04-14-16, 08:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Thanks man, probably end up trading it in and losing my a$$. Awaiting on the plastic piece above the front windshield, $674 part! The one that came in was cracked during shipment! Then wait and see what the insurance says!

Is a diminished value claim possible under your own comprehensive coverage which I assume is that you are dealing with? This is certainly big dollar diminished value.

Dave Mac
After I posted and thought about it, I was wondering about the same thing. My guess is that making a diminished value claim against one's own comprehensive coverage is not possible. Nevertheless, if it was my car, I'd be checking it out to make sure.
Old 04-15-16, 05:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 645 Likes on 484 Posts

Sorry to see the poor color match. I'll bet if it shows up this much in pictures, it's even more obvious in person.

Also, surprised the pano roof survived. Good to know it can hold its own!
Old 04-15-16, 05:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,288 Likes on 897 Posts

I once had a tiny door ding that was thru the paint caused by some moron who was careless. Each day when I went to drive the car my eyes went directly to the ding. My wife thought I was nuts. My point is that this is your situation here. You'll look at the paint and sigh... I feel your pain my friend and hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 04-15-16, 10:53 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Body shop owner said he will paint all four doors and its not feasible to repaint what they painted. Awaiting on insurance. Looks like I am going to get the doors done so that all the metal is the same color! ugh.

Quick Reply: 1st Road Trip (Hail Damage) ^#&*%@!()