Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Indeed what I have always liked about Lexus vehicles is that they are "quiet", meaning they don't scream "look at me!"

Well...they didn't used to lol
Old 04-14-16, 03:29 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Continental, like its MKS predecessor, is essentially a slightly stretched version of the FWD Taurus platform, with a V6. Also, like the MKS, it has an AWD option.
Actually they are on two different platforms. The MKS was on the D3 platform, inherited from Volvo, and it's main drawback was packaging constraints for passengers (read smaller on the inside than expected given the size of the outside).

The new Continental is based on CD4 which, though not new, is the platform the Fusion is based off of. Also FWD/AWD based but much different and at least superior interior packaging.
Old 04-14-16, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Actually they are on two different platforms. The MKS was on the D3 platform, inherited from Volvo, and it's main drawback was packaging constraints for passengers (read smaller on the inside than expected given the size of the outside).

The new Continental is based on CD4 which, though not new, is the platform the Fusion is based off of. Also FWD/AWD based but much different and at least superior interior packaging.
Yes, I know the platforms are not identical....the Continental's, of course, is several years newer than the MKS's. The D3 platform you refer to, BTW, was also the source for the Taurus since 2008. Both platforms, however, are of the same general type...transverse engine and FWD/AWD. Unlike the Continental, the Cadillac CT6 is more of a radical departure from its prececessor XTS....the CT6 switches to RWD/AWD.
Old 04-14-16, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Indeed what I have always liked about Lexus vehicles is that they are "quiet", meaning they don't scream "look at me!"

Well...they didn't used to lol
Yeah...those spindle-grilles really changed things LOL.

Speaking of noise, it's certainly hard to fault the LS460. It is, arguably, the quietest car, noise-wise, I've ever sampled. I say arguably because the enormous (it was like a battleship) 1969 Lincoln Continental, which I got to test-drive as a teen-ager when my late father worked for Philco-Ford, was also like a tomb. And, good golly, did that car have a smooth ride (over 5000 lbs. on a pillow-soft suspension and tall-profile tires. ...you wouldn't believe it by today's standards. Of course, handling was virtually nonexistent...you turned the wheel and, with the old recirculating-ball steering, the car just plowed straight ahead LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-16 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 06:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I love how quiet it is. I spend a lot of time in it, conduct a lot of business over the phone while I'm driving it and it being as smooth and comfy as it is adds a lot to my daily life.

Expensive...stupidly so really but you only live once lol
Old 04-14-16, 09:59 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. You still in Vienna?

Is the CT6 basically a RWD Deville or is it a competitor to the S and 7?
Old 04-14-16, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Incendiary

Is the CT6 basically a RWD Deville or is it a competitor to the S and 7?
I won't know for sure until I see it close-up, review it, and test-drive it. But, from what I know about it, it has a far more advanced platform than the DeVille (which was essentially a soft-riding luxo-boat), and, unlike the DeVille, will have turbo-4 and V6 engines and an AWD option. As to how it will compete with the BMW 7-series and Mercedes S-class, I don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see. At this time, though, there are no plans for a V8 or V12 version like the 7 and C, but there will be a twin-turbo V6 option with close to 400 HP.
Old 04-15-16, 12:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I think the base model is aggressively priced. Throw in some incentives and it undercuts all it's luxury competitors by a good margin. If the base engine is halfway decent, that's a really good buy for someone who just wants to glide along in comfort and be left alone.
Wish Lincoln the best, but overall I do not feel the car is anything more special than the last Continental offered decades ago.
Old 04-15-16, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The last Continental was offered a decade ago, not decades. That's how strong an impression it left on you lol
Old 04-15-16, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The last Continental was offered a decade ago, not decades.
Close.....and you get half a cigar. The last Continentals to bear the name were built in July of 2002.

In fact, Lincoln did a stunning Continental Concept that year, with strong hints of retro-60s styling, that I wish they would have put into production, but didn't.

Old 04-15-16, 09:14 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^I don't love that concept as a whole, but I do dig the more boxy nature of it and how it speaks to the 60's Continentals. I like the details fo the new one but the overall form could use a bit more "boxiness" to it. But I reserve final judgement until i see it in person. There are many cars that have seemed Meh in press pictures but are quite stunning in person.
Old 04-15-16, 12:09 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blingy! Looks like something James Bond would prefer to drive (if he retired and became a chauffeur)
Old 04-15-16, 01:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NRX
Blingy! Looks like something James Bond would prefer to drive (if he retired and became a chauffeur)

I hope this new Lincoln has a little bit of that presence and swagger of the Kennedy era Continential. I'll have to see it in person, right now the photos are leaving me a bit cold.
Old 04-15-16, 01:08 PM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000

I hope this new Lincoln has a little bit of that presence and swagger of the Kennedy era Continential. I'll have to see it in person, right now the photos are leaving me a bit cold.
Wow! Excellent find
Old 04-15-16, 01:24 PM
kennytbone
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Close.....and you get half a cigar. The last Continentals to bear the name were built in July of 2002.

In fact, Lincoln did a stunning Continental Concept that year, with strong hints of retro-60s styling, that I wish they would have put into production, but didn't.

That concept looks like the inspiration for the Chrysler 300.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental