Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 04:56 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also picked up a new cam sensor connector because one of mine snapped off, $8 from ebay. And also ordered my AC delete bracket, $77 from ssworxs:

Old 04-21-16, 06:47 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

This whole situation is not a new story. It's a small company. I don't know him personally, but I'd speculate it's probably mainly just him, with perhaps a few helpers here and there. The demand is there, but the output capability of such a small company is only so much. When I order from any vendor (other than big dogs like Summit or Jegs), I always double whatever time frame they tell me. "It'll be done in a week" = expect it in at least 2 weeks. Even more so for small companies.

If you're ordering something from him and expect it in a few days, or even a week, you'd probably just do yourself a favor if you just take that into consideration and expect to wait longer. It just is how it is, just like it is with most small car shops/companies. Understand what you're getting into at the beginning, or chose a different route. Expect to have to wait, or else you'll just end up ripping your hair out from frustration.
Old 04-21-16, 07:20 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot agree with about 90% of that.. I had a 2 man operation for years. My lead times were exactly what i said they were and if they began to fall behind schedule my customers knew about it before they wondered about it.

That being said, I completely understand lead times and falling behind schedule.. But what really gets me is when someone says "I received your order, it will go out monday at the latest" to me personally, then the **** goes out a few weeks later. Or just plain old shipping the wrong parts, thats such an easy thing not to do.

It's sad if thats what you expect from small operations. My customers should never expect that from me or any of the other small businesses I deal with daily.
Old 04-21-16, 07:22 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

And being in the automotive industry for years I've only received bad customer service a handful of times, mostly from the bigger companies.
Old 04-21-16, 07:55 PM
Halon
Racer

I'm not saying it's always the case, but in my experience it's more common, and the exception is folks like you.

Right now, TODAY, I'm waiting on parts from 4 different small companies. One of them was supposed to ship weeks ago, two were suppose to be done last week, one was supposed to be done today, None of them are done. And that's just today.

I'm hardly an old dog or any sort of OG, but I've been modding cars since I bought my first DSM in 98, and over the years I've simply come to my own personal understanding that when doing business with small companies, chances are pretty high that their going to give you a best estimate. And more times than not they won't make that best estimate deadline.

I've managed to keep my head grey hair free by coming to my own understanding that when they tell me it'll be a week, I tell myself not to expect it for 2 weeks to save myself the frustration when it goes beyond the deadline. There are some exceptions (like you say you were) and in those cases it's a pleasant surprise to receive the part early or on time.

I think it's been made quite clear the Collins makes a good product, and is doing his best, but he's simply swammped. I think if you call him and talk to him, he will freely tell you he's swampped. So it's just simple, people ordering from him need to be prepared to wait. If you think you're going to get something in a couple days, or a week even, then you're going to end up frustrated. You need to be patient, that's just how it is right now, simple as that.

I'm not saying it's right, that I support not meeting deadlines, I'm just saying that it just comes with the territory unfortunately.
Old 04-21-16, 08:05 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

Id agree that is somewhat becoming the standard.

Here's my qualm with this situation itself. I have called and talked to brett, I keep constant text messages with him.. its always something as to why he didn't do as he said he would.. Something as simple as getting me a tracking number for the parts from Shaftmasters.. he said he emailed them two days ago to get the info, which was a lie because when i called them this morning the dude said he just received the email right before I called, which was about 2 minutes after I talked with Brett for the 4th time regarding the matter. What pisses me off more is he straight lied to me saying that i contacted him "after 5" and he sent the email then so they wouldnt respond same day, it was 1:38 pacific time when i talked to him.... so 4:38, plausible yes, truth no... he simply forgot or put it off, for 3 days.

Enough ranting about this dude. Its as simple as; Generate great customer service so that people like me will come back even when lead times are stupendously long... I wont go back to collins again.

If my order is going to take 50 weeks to fulfill Im ok with that as long as someone tells me the truth sometime.
Old 04-21-16, 08:22 PM
Halon
Racer

Completely understand your qualm. The business side is just as important as the product. Lacking in either area can create a painful situation.

I hope you get your parts soon and I'm right in line with you man.
Old 04-21-16, 09:09 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

So i looked at the adapter plate, the holes line up with the block but the bolts do not thread into the adapter because the thread pitch is different.. I tried them in every hole in the plate, none work.. Plus they are not long enough to go through the adapter plate and block, I might just find what pitch those holes are and get new hardware.

Name:  DD2BC16D-22B6-49C7-910E-1D2A7F33D5B5_zpsteqpwh4m.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  306.7 KB
Old 04-22-16, 05:16 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSkidder
So i looked at the adapter plate, the holes line up with the block but the bolts do not thread into the adapter because the thread pitch is different.. I tried them in every hole in the plate, none work.. Plus they are not long enough to go through the adapter plate and block, I might just find what pitch those holes are and get new hardware.
Awesome, thanks for reporting back on that. Shouldn't be too hard to find a bolt that will work
Old 04-22-16, 08:19 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attachment 492817

here is what i used, mine is cut 5/8" so add 15mm to all the lengths that i wrote down. i want to say mine were m12x1.75 and m10x1.5 thread pitch (standard stuff we use at work haha).

back when i got my kit i got no mounting hardware at all, so you guys at least get some bolts

Last edited by estomax; 04-22-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-22-16, 08:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSkidder
But what really gets me is when someone says "I received your order, it will go out monday at the latest" to me personally, then the **** goes out a few weeks later. Or just plain old shipping the wrong parts, thats such an easy thing not to do.
There is nothing wrong when small companies are swamped with orders. That means business is booming. Good for them. What is wrong is they say things to please the customer and yet they cannot do. Why can't they just be honest and be frank about the whole thing ? I believe at times they are afraid to loose the customer so they say what the customer want to hear even if they honestly know they cannot deliver such promise or they know they are lying. In the long run , it hurts the business more. A few disgruntled customer can wreak havoc to a small business.
Old 04-22-16, 09:04 AM
SCSkidder
Rookie

Originally Posted by estomax

here is what i used, mine is cut 5/8" so add 15mm to all the lengths that i wrote down. i want to say mine were m12x1.75 and m10x1.5 thread pitch (standard stuff we use at work haha).

back when i got my kit i got no mounting hardware at all, so you guys at least get some bolts
We didn't get mounting hardware for the trans. We also had to buy separate hardware. lol.
Old 04-22-16, 09:06 AM
Halon
Racer

Originally Posted by gerrb
There is nothing wrong when small companies are swamped with orders. That means business is booming. Good for them. What is wrong is they say things to please the customer and yet they cannot do. Why can't they just be honest and be frank about the whole thing ? I believe at times they are afraid to loose the customer so they say what the customer want to hear even if they honestly know they cannot deliver such promise or they know they are lying. In the long run , it hurts the business more. A few disgruntled customer can wreak havoc to a small business.
Completely agree.
Old 04-23-16, 07:57 PM
Halon
Racer

So, I'm kinda hesitant to cut that piece apart on my trans for this new shifter arrangement. I think I might just try and pop it off, dimension it, and draw it up in SolidWorks, and see if I can't just get another one made by a machinist

Unless someone knows where to buy that part from? I just don't want to cut it up, just to say damnit I wish I wouldn't have done this.

Also, wonder what material it's made of?
Old 04-23-16, 10:44 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

Got the AllBoost shifter in today. Very solid piece and the quality is above par, especially for the price...

Name:  E6B6AEE6-B5C2-4122-8D84-9C2678BAC210_zpsinmfoe9m.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  193.6 KB

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400