Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16 | 08:14 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
Does that All Boost place have a webpage? I can't seem to find one, and they don't appear to ever really go on their FB page.
You have to friend request Brett Fenning and message him

Originally Posted by SCSkidder
Of course ill make a removable panel most likely, it REALLY makes those upper bolts a cinch

Used some hydro tools to no avail, the trans is just too far back with that GIANT space and clutch setup

BIG AZZ Hole

the shifter is like an inch or two too far back in the trans tunnel

Ill get some more pics tomorrow when its daylight

Thanks for all of this. That twin disc setup is massive. Same issue as with the single disc and the huge flywheel
Old 04-26-16 | 09:08 AM
Halon
Racer

oh so Bretty Fenning is All Boost? I'm already friends with him, didn't realize they were one in the same.

Also, I wonder how much more the twin disc setup sits out than the single disc setup. My single disc setup sits out a bit too, that's what makes the install tough. But I was still able to get it done with enough pounding and tilting the engine back to the max.
Old 04-26-16 | 09:30 AM
SCSkidder
Rookie

oh so Bretty Fenning is All Boost? I'm already friends with him, didn't realize they were one in the same.

Also, I wonder how much more the twin disc setup sits out than the single disc setup. My single disc setup sits out a bit too, that's what makes the install tough. But I was still able to get it done with enough pounding and tilting the engine back to the max.

Yesh Brett is AllBoost.

The car is a 95 factory manual.

I tilted the engine back and beat the ever loving hell out of the tunnel. Cutting it would have saved 2 hours.

I hope to have everything together today and test drive. We'll see
Old 04-26-16 | 10:00 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

If I remember correctly, you also had the setup that used the auto flexplate and adapter?

My setup sticks out about 3.5" from the mounted adapter plate. Maybe SCSkidder can snap a dimension of his if he sees this in time

Pic of mine:

Yesh Brett is AllBoost.

The car is a 95 factory manual.

I tilted the engine back and beat the ever loving hell out of the tunnel. Cutting it would have saved 2 hours.

I hope to have everything together today and test drive. We'll see
You have the heater core and dash and everything removed from the car right? How close to where the heater core was mounted was the banging? Any way you can get a pic of the inside of the cabin that shows how high up the beating took? Thanks!!
Old 04-26-16 | 10:03 AM
Halon
Racer

Correct. Mine is fully removed at this point so I can't get a measurement, but this was my arrangement.

Stock Auto Flexplate > Flywheel Adapter/Spacer > 350z Flywheel > 350Z Clutch

Old 04-26-16 | 12:35 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
If I remember correctly, you also had the setup that used the auto flexplate and adapter?

My setup sticks out about 3.5" from the mounted adapter plate. Maybe SCSkidder can snap a dimension of his if he sees this in time

Pic of mine:

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400-img_20160426_125412_433_dd25996da0498fc9dfa3005eec2e26a9ec45d383.jpg

You have the heater core and dash and everything removed from the car right? How close to where the heater core was mounted was the banging? Any way you can get a pic of the inside of the cabin that shows how high up the beating took? Thanks!!
Definitely too late for a picture. I have no heater core or anything. Never had one. lol. Gutted interior. Sheet metal dash with auto meter gauges.
Old 04-26-16 | 09:31 PM
SCSkidder
Rookie

got the trans in and running.. this trans has some serious rattling noise and vibration around 2k RPM so much it throws my car into limp mode Via knock sensor... WTF
Old 04-27-16 | 05:30 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

got the trans in and running.. this trans has some serious rattling noise and vibration around 2k RPM so much it throws my car into limp mode Via knock sensor... WTF
Oh no WTF man. Do you think that you maybe just have a bad trans? Or is it the clutch assembly that is causing the issue? I've heard that the cd009 trans is very noisy, and the guys here that have it can attest to the chatter it has. But that's pretty insane to be that bad that it is tripping the knock sensor. Damn. Do you have any ideas on what to do?
Old 04-27-16 | 06:10 AM
Halon
Racer

mine always had a little bit of a harmonic buzzing vibration sound at super low RPM's. Not while cruising, just when like accelerating from a stop or something. You'd hear a harmonic vibration sound at maybe 1500rpm for a half second. Wonder if that's the same you're talking about.

What are you tuning with BTW? I wonder if you can apply a knock filter at say < 2500rpm as you really shouldn't be experiencing any real detrimental knock in that rpm range, unless you're running a single 50mm turbo that spools that damn quick.
Old 04-27-16 | 06:13 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

loveSCs - to give you an idea how near that blower / heater core assembly is .

Those two pipes behind the engine you see on the pictures . So literally that area of the assembly is flashed against the firewall on the upper side.

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400-20160427_084604_zpsfpxlg916.jpg

The two bolts on the legs of the assembly , you see them protruding actually on the engine bay out of the firewall

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400-20160427_084611_zps9tv5xpxp.jpg
Old 04-27-16 | 06:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

isn't that what Estomax wanted to know also ? His I believe has a serious rattling noise too .
Old 04-27-16 | 06:57 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
loveSCs - to give you an idea how near that blower / heater core assembly is .

Those two pipes behind the engine you see on the pictures . So literally that area of the assembly is flashed against the firewall on the upper side.

Attachment 385389

The two bolts on the legs of the assembly , you see them protruding actually on the engine bay out of the firewall

Attachment 385390

Thanks for the pics Gerry. So, where in that assembly is the critical part located that we really dont want to break? I'm going to guess that its that brownish part with the tubes coming off of it?

How large is that part? Does it take up the entire height of that assembly, or is it just located towards the top of that assembly?

I'm just trying to gauge how close we are actually banging to that critical component. For me, it's too late, if I ruined it, then there's no turning back. But would be nice for others to know if they really need to be careful or not, or if we are just being paranoid lol

Originally Posted by gerrb

isn't that what Estomax wanted to know also ? His I believe has a serious rattling noise too .
yes, he had "marbles in a can" rattling at idle. I am really hoping that I don't have any of these issues... Should know hopefully by this weekend.

Everywhere I have read on the internet, people complain that the trans is just generally noisy. Then when you start to throw custom setups in the mix, its amplified. I am really hoping that my "silent disc" from Southbend eliminates that issue.
Old 04-27-16 | 07:05 AM
Halon
Racer

The idle issue is very common, especially with a lighter flywheel. It's noticeable, but it's not like it sounds like a garbage can rolling down the road, its just a loud spinning noise.

But I do have another noise not at idle, more of a harmonic buzzing when I take off and am at really low RPM's. I'm wondering if that's the noise SCSkidder was just talking about. I'm not sure what the cause of that was in my case, but I was never too concerned about it.
Old 04-27-16 | 07:30 AM
SCSkidder
Rookie

The idle issue is very common, especially with a lighter flywheel. It's noticeable, but it's not like it sounds like a garbage can rolling down the road, its just a loud spinning noise.

But I do have another noise not at idle, more of a harmonic buzzing when I take off and am at really low RPM's. I'm wondering if that's the noise SCSkidder was just talking about. I'm not sure what the cause of that was in my case, but I was never too concerned about it.
I heard estomax's on YouTube. I have that noise, then I have a SERIOUS noise around 2k that's very concerning. I'm on stock aristo ecu so I can't tune out the knock issue.
Old 04-29-16 | 09:06 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I heard estomax's on YouTube. I have that noise, then I have a SERIOUS noise around 2k that's very concerning. I'm on stock aristo ecu so I can't tune out the knock issue.
Have you made any headway in diagnosing your issue?

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400