IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 11:10 AM
BluPhirePB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Icealicy
I am just wondering what people think of the 3.5 that do not currently own a Lexus IS?
I fall into this camp.

I currently drive a Toyota Matrix and would love a 3IS as my next ride. I have test driven a 3IS and agree with the above posts regarding it's handling. Acceleration didn't feel that fast (felt the same as my Matrix actually) until I looked at the speedometer. I'm in love with this car.

Having that said, I personally prefer the 3IS to the 3.5IS. I like the 3IS taillights and front bumper treatment better. A 10" nav. screen is definitely a nice upgrade over the 7" but I didn't find the 7" small to begin with. I dislike the plain black lower rear bumper; I think the integrated diffuser of the 3.5IS is better. If I were financially capable of getting an IS, I would pick up a 3IS over the 3.5IS despite the 3.5's improvements.
Old 04-29-16, 11:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I hear what you're saying. I currently drive a BMW X3. I am in fact like I said looking for reliability. I know that the A4/S4 is going to come out and I was actually looking into that. I was also looking into the new A5 spore back that will be coming out next year according to sources here in the US. However I've sort of come to the conclusion that I want to buy my next vehicle and I want something reliable. German cars as far as my experience goes have not been reliable at all. This is why I am looking to purchase a Lexus. I am just wondering what people think of the 3.5 that do not currently own a Lexus IS? I think the comparisons that are being drawn between the two cars from current owners is leading me to think that the refresh was in a sense not adequate in the car just does not look as good anymore. I still wonder if the current owners if they did not own a Lexus would still buy the 2017 model?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...7-is-line.html

If you go to the 2017 3.5IS Refresh in the Car Chat (General) section of the Forum, you will find that general car owners have a slightly more balanced view of the Update.

The 3IS Section of the forum tends to be filled with current owners who not only have to justify their present purchase, but who have also fundamentally grown used to seeing their cars on a daily basis, so will take time to become accustomed to the Refreshed IS.

My wife has the current 3IS, and here is my opinion:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9467038

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-29-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 02:40 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not much different that make me regret getting the car now instead of 'I should of wait'.
Like the rear but not the exhaust tips. The interior is nice but not much. The front is fugly (too camryish like someone already said.)
Old 04-29-16, 03:01 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

To be honest I've been holding out waiting for the navi to increase in size (I knew it would happen sometime) but now the more I look at the front end the more I dislike those huge vents on each side and the removal of the fog lights. I guess I need to see it in person and also wait and see if the US version will have a different front end.
Old 04-29-16, 06:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

If you give it some time, I'm sure it will grow on you; it grew on me.
It's just that it takes some time to adjust to something new.
Below I tried to find pics of large size, similar viewing angles, and hi detail for easy comparison.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-29-16 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 06:09 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

So I've been keeping up with the thread upon initially commenting earlier on. So far from the comments here and else where I mostly get a negative vibe for the refresh. I'm actually in the market for a new vehicle by the end of this year and the Lexus IS is something that I am looking at. I know people are comparing the Lexus IS 3 vs 3.5. I don't have a 3IS, but some things I'm dissapointed in with the 3.5 is the engine still remaining at 306 HP. I thought they would increase that, but overall I like the design of the car atleast in the pictures. Sure the air intake in the front may just be too big, but I'd have to see it in real life. I don't know what to think of the taillights in this case the actual light how it curves downward. I don't know if I will like that. Otherwise my main consideration for the IS is RELIABILITY! Coming from a BMW X3 which is very non-reliable I am excited to look into Lexus. Reading comments makes me feel as if I should consider another car... Of course, I will myself look at this car in real life and draw my own conclusions, but it's always nice to hear different perspectives.
You can't go wrong with the IS.

Reliability is the best in its class. Although its not the fastest when compared to its competitors. Would you rather have the car available to drive, or have it sit in the shop?
Old 04-29-16, 06:18 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Although its not the fastest when compared to its competitors. Would you rather have the car available to drive, or have it sit in the shop?
That's actually a fun way of looking at it, for every 0.1 sec of saved time in BMW you may spend .. say 10 sec at a shop.
Old 04-29-16, 07:44 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I know the area where the Start/Stop button is has been changed a bit but is it me or does the 16' & prior yrs have the Start button tilted or angled upwards? The 17' looks more flat like it's angled toward the driver at eye level?
Old 04-29-16, 07:50 PM
vat55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the diffuser and the dual exhaust.
Old 04-29-16, 08:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I know the area where the Start/Stop button is has been changed a bit but is it me or does the 16' & prior yrs have the Start button tilted or angled upwards? The 17' looks more flat like it's angled toward the driver at eye level?
You're right.
The original 3IS has the engine start/stop button angled above the driver's eyes.
The updated 3.5IS has the start/stop button angled perfectly parallel to the steering wheel, clock, and vents, with all angled to the driver's eyes...
Old 04-30-16, 08:52 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

325hp from 306hp would've been nice.
Old 05-01-16, 06:34 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did anyone else notice that the back of the car does not have the F sport badge anymore. On the rear of the left-hand side of the cart said Lexus and it usually says F sport and yes the model I was looking at the pictures of is the F sport. Do you think this is just something that's North American that the F sport badge on there?
Old 05-01-16, 07:53 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Did anyone else notice that the back of the car does not have the F sport badge anymore. On the rear of the left-hand side of the cart said Lexus and it usually says F sport and yes the model I was looking at the pictures of is the F sport. Do you think this is just something that's North American that the F sport badge on there?
When I picked up my MY16 F-Sport, it didn't have the rear badge, just the side ones. I mentioned it at PDI and they said the whole batch came like that, so it must be a badging change. I had them put one in on the 1500km inspection.
Old 05-01-16, 08:29 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
When I picked up my MY16 F-Sport, it didn't have the rear badge, just the side ones. I mentioned it at PDI and they said the whole batch came like that, so it must be a badging change. I had them put one in on the 1500km inspection.
I think trunk badge was a USA thing starting MY16
Old 05-01-16, 10:08 AM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually, it's 2015. I have one.

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS