IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help with fitting aftermarket seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 10:13 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Guys,

So having thought about this for a while longer, seems it may just be easier to drill another hole that aligns with the one eyelet that is out?

Can the more mechanically minded let me know if that would be a possibility, and if so, can a tap and die set make a new thread in the hole?

Let me know please guys.

Running out of time to get this done!
Old 05-04-16, 11:05 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Hey Guys,

So having thought about this for a while longer, seems it may just be easier to drill another hole that aligns with the one eyelet that is out?

Can the more mechanically minded let me know if that would be a possibility, and if so, can a tap and die set make a new thread in the hole?

Let me know please guys.

Peter, just brain storming here but If you're press for time maybe you can find some strong piece of steel then cut and shape it to link the holes together. Drill out both sides and put a bolt+nut on one side then use the factory bolt to bolt it into the factory hole. Thinking that should hold the seat in place until you come up with a better permanent solution?

Something like this?

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 05-04-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 11:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Hey Guys,

Let me know please guys.

No. There is a blind nut the factory bolt threads into. The sheet metal is way too thin in this spot to even imagine putting a threaded hole it it capable of supporting a seat. The other important thing, the seat needs to be very firmly attached to the car for the supplemental restraints to be safe. If the seat breaks loose while the airbags are deploying, you're going to find yourself it a place no one wants to be.

I know some folks are thinking only about sticking the seat in place. Bad idea. It is critical to consider the seat as part of a system designed to minimize injury in the event of an accident. Seat brackets appear pretty simple, but there is a whole lot more to it than just attaching the seat to the car. It is unwise to fail to think all the way through the "what ifs" when doing something like this.

I would not go with a temporary fix. You never know when you need the seat to do the most important thing it does - protect you in an impact.
Old 05-04-16, 11:22 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Thanks, that may have to be the way forward if I can't find someone to cut and tap me a new hole.

I'm going to try and find a local engineering shop to ask them to have a look. Difficulty being the car isn't really mobile at the moment! Hoping they can do a home visit!

I don't mind bolting the seat in with only three bolts if they know they can do it, but it's a faff if they can't!

Will see how it goes.
Old 05-04-16, 11:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Peter, just a heads up. The ISF CCSR page on facebook shows them working on their seats too. Everything is in French but maybe you can PM them. Check out their page . Its near the top
Old 05-04-16, 12:00 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. There is a blind nut the factory bolt threads into. The sheet metal is way too thin in this spot to even imagine putting a threaded hole it it capable of supporting a seat. The other important thing, the seat needs to be very firmly attached to the car for the supplemental restraints to be safe. If the seat breaks loose while the airbags are deploying, you're going to find yourself it a place no one wants to be.

I know some folks are thinking only about sticking the seat in place. Bad idea. It is critical to consider the seat as part of a system designed to minimize injury in the event of an accident. Seat brackets appear pretty simple, but there is a whole lot more to it than just attaching the seat to the car. It is unwise to fail to think all the way through the "what ifs" when doing something like this.

I would not go with a temporary fix. You never know when you need the seat to do the most important thing it does - protect you in an impact.
Thanks Lance.

How about welding a plate to the eyelet that's the same thickness as the frame, then cutting a new hole in that above the existing hole?

Surely that would work as a proper fix?
Old 05-04-16, 12:01 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Peter, just a heads up. The ISF CCSR page on facebook shows them working on their seats too. Everything is in French but maybe you can PM them. Check out their page . Its near the top
Thanks.

I'll take a look later.
Old 05-04-16, 04:31 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

At least you can install 3 of the 4 bolts, which will let you temporarily install the seat and get it to the fabricator's.

And where was the bracket manufactured?
Old 05-04-16, 04:40 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Very true.

Seem to think Planted Technology are a Washington based firm close to Seattle.

Have emailed them tonight to see if they are willing to help me out with a one-off bracket.

Could be the best option if they are willing to help.
Old 05-04-16, 08:14 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Peter for the update on Planted Technology. I'll make sure I don't source mine locally.

Hopefully they do right by you.
Old 05-05-16, 09:58 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tas02
Thanks Peter for the update on Planted Technology. I'll make sure I don't source mine locally.

Hopefully they do right by you.
Thanks mate.

Have to say Jeff at Planted Technology was really helpful. Turns out my issue can be easily remedied.

They offer both auto and manual versions of the brackets. The difference being the arms on the manual version are closer together.

Having sent Planted the measurements, photos, description of my issue, they have confirmed the manual version will fit.

Issue now is whether the UK firm I bought everything from will refund/swap the brackets for me, or make me pay for the right frame.

I'm hoping it's the first option, but technically it's used now (screw marks etc), and I ordered them knowing they weren't specifically for an IS-F.

Will wait and see what they say. Main thing is there is a proper solution that will be 100% safe and secure.
Old 05-05-16, 10:05 AM
bkuhl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this thread Peter. I'm a bit behind. I have electrical diagrams of a 2014 ISF, if you ever need them.
Old 05-05-16, 11:42 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bkuhl
Just saw this thread Peter. I'm a bit behind. I have electrical diagrams of a 2014 ISF, if you ever need them.
Thanks mate.

Think I'm good for now, but useful to know going forwards.
Old 05-05-16, 11:45 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

So both seats are now in.

Name:  E01191F2-A8A9-4875-BCEE-7660E47B3D50_zpss1xsgkem.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  193.6 KB

I'll take some better photos at some point. This was late into the night in my garage, so excuse the poor quality.

Will need to whip the drivers seat out again when I get the other bracket, but should be fine for now.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Really helped keep me going.
Old 05-06-16, 03:00 AM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So both seats are now in.

I'll take some better photos at some point. This was late into the night in my garage, so excuse the poor quality.

Will need to whip the drivers seat out again when I get the other bracket, but should be fine for now.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Really helped keep me going.
Looks really good man!

Quick Reply: Help with fitting aftermarket seats