Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model S Refreshed

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 12:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I think that's the case for all makes and models for me. The more they look like Porsches, the more I'd like 'em. And I bet we're not alone, Pete.
If you like the Tesla Model S electric vehicle with 0-60 in 3.0, and you want Porsche level of styling, then perhaps below.
Love the open design with no central B pillar, and those rear doors.
Porsche even gives the rear occupants a more comfortable seating position by not having any cells in the rear foot well area, so that the rear passenger can sit up right with legs dropping down, and feet planted to the floor.
Will be here 2019...

Old 05-08-16, 10:31 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

+1 on build quality being garbage, and Tesla has about as much personality as an elevator. Geo Metro is more thrilling to drive.
Old 05-08-16, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

A Geo Metro is more thrilling to drive than a instant torque electric car with all that technology that can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds? Must be some Geo Metro.
Old 05-08-16, 12:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
A Geo Metro is more thrilling to drive than a instant torque electric car with all that technology that can do 0-60 in 3.6 seconds? Must be some Geo Metro.
I think it must be a Super Metro. If given the choice, I know which car I'd take.
Old 05-09-16, 06:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
If you like the Tesla Model S electric vehicle with 0-60 in 3.0, and you want Porsche level of styling, then perhaps below.
Love the open design with no central B pillar, and those rear doors.
Porsche even gives the rear occupants a more comfortable seating position by not having any cells in the rear foot well area, so that the rear passenger can sit up right with legs dropping down, and feet planted to the floor.
Will be here 2019...
Problem with that is that Porsche will be selling this at profit, not at loss... so it will cost $200k minimum and maybe even more.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-12-16 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 11:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Very true spwolf; the Porsche BEV will probably cost much more than the Tesla Model S.
Hopefully, 2018 Benz and 2019 Porsche will eventually force Lexus into battery powered electric vehicles BEV's so we can top up while parking [overnight] etc, and do 0-60 with some pretty fast times...
Old 05-10-16, 03:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Very true spwolf; the Porsche BEV will probably cost much more than the Tesla Model S.
Hopefully, 2018 Benz and 2019 Porsche will eventually force Lexus into battery powered electric vehicles BEV's so we can top up while parking [overnight] etc, and do 0-60 with some pretty fast times...
I am having hard time imagining that Lexus or Benz or Porsche will ever do what Tesla has done, not until EV's become mainstream.

So instead, lets hope that Tesla fixes their problems and has successful launch of Model 3.
Old 05-10-16, 07:58 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, Lexus, Benz and Porsche will all do it like this...

Old 05-10-16, 08:17 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ omg that is hilarious
Old 05-10-16, 10:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, Lexus, Benz and Porsche will all do it like this...
The lithium ion cells that make up the Tesla battery packs actually look like AA batteries... so it could apply for the Model S as well. Tesla repurposes existing lithium ion cells and sets them into their own module arrays cell by cell.
Old 05-12-16, 04:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Driver whose Tesla Model S crashed while using Summon was breaking all the rules
As expected, Musk has initiated smear campaign against owner that crashed his car via Summon feature.
Apparently Tesla warns against using Summon at all, so once you use it, it is your fault.

Warning that Tesla mentions is warning that Summon mode was enabled that appears for 1 second on display inside the car. There was no warning when summon was activated and crashed the car, warning was when driver was exiting the vehicle.

Apparently breaking all the rules means that you should not be using summon on public street at all.

. The driver was alerted of the Summon activation with an audible chime and a pop-up message on the center touchscreen display. At this time, the driver had the opportunity to cancel the action by pressing CANCEL on the center touchscreen display; however, the CANCEL button was not clicked by the driver. In the next second, the brake pedal was released and two seconds later, the driver exited the vehicle. Three seconds after that, the driver's door was closed, and another three seconds later, Summon activated pursuant to the driver's double-press activation request.
Problem with "Summon" and "Auto-Pilot" is that these systems have sensors that cant possibly handle all the situations that might arise from using them. They are same type of sensors that Toyota put in their cars and have limited view of their surroundings.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/11/11...t-crash-letter
Old 05-12-16, 07:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am having hard time imagining that Lexus or Benz or Porsche will ever do what Tesla has done, not until EV's become mainstream.
they also won't do it because they don't like losing a ton of money.
Old 05-12-16, 02:20 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

So instead, lets hope that Tesla fixes their problems and has successful launch of Model 3.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they also won't do it because they don't like losing a ton of money.
I have test driven the Tesla Model S, and it is a very good idea BEV, but a flawed package from a young upstart.
I guess it will take some time before battery electric vehicles BEV's become mainstream.

Meantime, I guess we just have to do with small capacity turbos, electric turbos, and gasoline-electric hybrids etc.

With turbos, just a small improvement in economy.
With hybrids, there is a big improvement in economy, but there is also a much smaller trunk, a much heavier vehicle, and the extra initial cost of the vehicle, plus long term battery replacement to costs consider; thus last time, I went 350 rather than 450h, esp when my mileage is only 10k a year...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-12-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 07:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Toyota didn't wait until the hybrid became mainstream to jump into the market, auto makers that did have never really caught up. Same thing will happen in the EV sector but this time Toyota will be behind the 8-ball.
Old 05-12-16, 09:00 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Toyota didn't wait until the hybrid became mainstream to jump into the market, auto makers that did have never really caught up. Same thing will happen in the EV sector but this time Toyota will be behind the 8-ball.
Will be interesting, because Lexus didn't wait until small capacity turbos became mainstream until Lexus made its move either.

Lexus could be behind forever with small capacity turbos...

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Refreshed