RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Forged Wheels (Vossen, Velgen, VMR, HRE, Forgiato, Who Else)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 06:58 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Yokohama AVS F50 (GBC - F1 face) 20" x 9" +40 5x114.3 (F) forged wheels: 22lbs
Yokohama AVS F50 (GBC - F3 face) 20" x 11" +40 5x114.3 (R) forged wheels: 23.4lbs
No offence intended, I just can't wrap my head around these wheels. Beautifully forged, light weight high quality rim I just don't like the look of them on the RCF. Haven't since day 1 with the beyond marketing build. To each his own; but in the same I can't stand my current wheel setup.

Old 05-08-16, 07:54 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty astounding how many Lexus F car owners simply choose to buy wheels of ill quality and poor fitment. I can count on one hand from browsing this forum an F car with a proper wheel/tire setup.

The formula is really simple. Do they supply wheels to motorsport teams or participate at all? Do they sell you wheels with specs that fit your vehicle w/o running some wonky tire setup like narrower than stock sizes? When they say "forged" are they truly sourcing 6061-T6 aluminum, and in the case of multi-piece wheels, use aerospace grade fasteners?

If no to any of the above, you're buying dog ***** wheels that don't even belong on a new VW Jetta.

Credible brands are few. BBS, Volk, OZ, Work, HRE, Forgeline, CCW and it drops off precipitously from there. Brands that actually sell you RCF spec wheels are even fewer; in fact, I'd argue you have to go the custom route to get proper fitment because Lexus F sales volume pales in comparison to the much more established M and 911 brands. Vossen, ADV1, brands with names that can also be stamped on a purse, brands who stupidly shout "forged", are instagram chop shops.

Don't buy into the bs. Educate yourself on proper fitment. Assess what quality means in the wheel industry. You get what you pay for.

/rant

Last edited by ROK; 05-08-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 08:12 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,552 Likes on 676 Posts

Velos Designwerks. Forged 6061-T6. Custom made to customer's specs. They will even make them so that the stock center caps fit.

I have the one piece monoblock design

They come in 2 piece...

And 3 piece...

Last edited by JT2MA71; 05-09-16 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 08:52 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This velos company does zilch in motorsport plus purse name worthy. Or in your case, murse?
Old 05-10-16, 11:56 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,552 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
This velos company does zilch in motorsport plus purse name worthy. Or in your case, murse?
Old 05-10-16, 12:40 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
ROK strikes again!
Old 05-10-16, 03:50 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
No offence intended, I just can't wrap my head around these wheels. Beautifully forged, light weight high quality rim I just don't like the look of them on the RCF. Haven't since day 1 with the beyond marketing build. To each his own; but in the same I can't stand my current wheel setup.

I do not take offense Everyone is entitled to their own tastes like green calipers

The 255/30/20 tires looks terrible on the wheel at stock height. I tried mounting 255/35/20s yesterday and it looked perfect on the car with the 295/30/20s on the rear but, alas, it rubbed when turning so back on went the 255/30/20s but dawned on me to do 305/25/20s which matches the front circumference...returning the 255/35/20s for the 305/25/30s and then installing the swifts should get a perfect stance I will post pics when done
Old 05-11-16, 10:28 AM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
It's pretty astounding how many Lexus F car owners simply choose to buy wheels of ill quality and poor fitment. I can count on one hand from browsing this forum an F car with a proper wheel/tire setup.

The formula is really simple. Do they supply wheels to motorsport teams or participate at all? Do they sell you wheels with specs that fit your vehicle w/o running some wonky tire setup like narrower than stock sizes? When they say "forged" are they truly sourcing 6061-T6 aluminum, and in the case of multi-piece wheels, use aerospace grade fasteners?

If no to any of the above, you're buying dog ***** wheels that don't even belong on a new VW Jetta.

Credible brands are few. BBS, Volk, OZ, Work, HRE, Forgeline, CCW and it drops off precipitously from there. Brands that actually sell you RCF spec wheels are even fewer; in fact, I'd argue you have to go the custom route to get proper fitment because Lexus F sales volume pales in comparison to the much more established M and 911 brands. Vossen, ADV1, brands with names that can also be stamped on a purse, brands who stupidly shout "forged", are instagram chop shops.

Don't buy into the bs. Educate yourself on proper fitment. Assess what quality means in the wheel industry. You get what you pay for.

/rant
Excellent input.
Old 05-13-16, 08:17 AM
LGSFS2012
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
So I've never owned a set of Forged Wheels before (despite the stock ones on it now), but I've been researching them and realize that this is the way to go.

With that, couple questions:

1. Who all makes forged wheels for our RCF's?
2. What's the difference in quality between the brands?
3. What should I expect to pay for a set?

Thanks.....
also depends on your budget for wheels
Old 05-13-16, 08:32 AM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't go wrong with any wheels from Rays

Old 09-11-16, 07:57 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GetUrWheel
Just dug up some other photos of the AG F431s in 20x9.5/10.5 in full chrome!

I think these might be my favorite style so far!
What's the word on the durability of Avant Garde? Specifically these rims. I like these rims. They appeal to me more than any other rim I've seen so far. But I run my car hard, it's not a show car. I need rims that are going to hold up under racing conditions (and speeds up to 200 mph). I'm aware that these rims run about $6k, and that's fine with me. If they can withstand my abuse...

I'll also be looking for the 19" version, not the 20".

Last edited by Davew77; 09-11-16 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 08:52 AM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
What's the word on the durability of Avant Garde? Specifically these rims. I like these rims. They appeal to me more than any other rim I've seen so far. But I run my car hard, it's not a show car. I need rims that are going to hold up under racing conditions (and speeds up to 200 mph). I'm aware that these rims run about $6k, and that's fine with me. If they can withstand my abuse...

Re-read Rok's post #47 above. Actually, re-read this whole thread. If you have no qualms about spending $6K on rims, look into the established brands known for producing quality racing rims.
Old 09-12-16, 12:43 PM
GetUrWheel
Former Sponsor

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Those AG F431s are true 3-piece forged wheels, so they're going to be strongest/lightest materials and manufacturing. They'll be as strong as any other forged wheel brand out there
I know they've sponsored a drift team before so the wheels can definitely take a beating.

They've done built quite a few sets of forged wheels for the RCF you can see here:
http://www.agwheels.com/customers/So.../RC/index.html

I havent heard any problems so far, I doubt you'd have any either
Old 09-12-16, 02:05 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Plxs15350
Re-read Rok's post #47 above. Actually, re-read this whole thread. If you have no qualms about spending $6K on rims, look into the established brands known for producing quality racing rims.
There is no mention on the quality of Avant Garde in this thread. Which is why I asked the question. Rok made no mention of them either. I'm here asking for information, not to be told to reread a thread that I have already read.

I can read all of the stuff on their factory website, but any company can post false/misleading information about their products. I want to hear from the people who have actually used their products.
I want to know more about these rims. Not to be told to look at other rims.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by GetUrWheel
Those AG F431s are true 3-piece forged wheels, so they're going to be strongest/lightest materials and manufacturing. They'll be as strong as any other forged wheel brand out there
I know they've sponsored a drift team before so the wheels can definitely take a beating.

They've done built quite a few sets of forged wheels for the RCF you can see here:
http://www.agwheels.com/customers/Sort%20by%20Car/Lexus/RC/index.html

I havent heard any problems so far, I doubt you'd have any either
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-12-16, 05:07 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I didn't know anybody still bought Chrome wheels anymore? Though, i'm probably out of the loop so who knows. What car are you going to be in going 200mph, i wouldn't think it's the RCF is it? Whatever you decide let us know which is the Lightest/most durable on the market

Quick Reply: Forged Wheels (Vossen, Velgen, VMR, HRE, Forgiato, Who Else)?