Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can I Dolly Tow my 2013 ES 350 behind my Motorhome?????t

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 05:02 PM
joey910
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Dolly Tow my 2013 ES 350 behind my Motorhome?????t

Has anyone dolly towed their ES350? Was it a 2013? What procedure is involved? Owner's manual is no help. Dealer says that I can but I want confirmation from someone that has really done it. Thanks Everyone.
Old 05-09-16, 05:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

As long as by dolly you mean you're lifting the drive wheels (front in this case) off the ground, you're fine.
Old 05-09-16, 06:20 PM
joey910
Driver School Candidate

Default Re:ES 350 dolly towing

What if anything needs to be off or diconnected or in a certain gear after placing the front wheels on the dolly? I need to hear from someone who has done this.
Old 05-09-16, 08:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by joey910
What if anything needs to be off or diconnected or in a certain gear after placing the front wheels on the dolly? I need to hear from someone who has done this.
I have no experience with this so I stand to be corrected...

I would assume that you turn the ignition off and put the transmission into Park to lock the front wheels (prevent them from turning side-to-side and rolling while in the dolly), and leave the parking brake off, to allow the rear wheels to spin freely.

I am guessing that it would be similar to having the car towed by a tow truck that has a cradle to lift the front wheels off the ground.
Old 05-09-16, 08:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Strap front tires to the dolley, put it in park, turn the car off, make sure your parking brake is off and you are good to go. The rear wheels aren't hooked up to anything, they're just along for the ride provided you have the parking brake off. Its a basic FWD car, tow it like any other FWD car.

You will need lights/signals though, I'd check in with your local u-haul guys, as they do this type of thing all the time and might be able to give you advice on how to hook up some lights and turn signals.

Really I'd be more worried about if your motorhome is up to the task, especially if you're going to be driving over the mountains.
Old 05-09-16, 10:15 PM
joey910
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Strap front tires to the dolley, put it in park, turn the car off, make sure your parking brake is off and you are good to go. The rear wheels aren't hooked up to anything, they're just along for the ride provided you have the parking brake off. Its a basic FWD car, tow it like any other FWD car.

You will need lights/signals though, I'd check in with your local u-haul guys, as they do this type of thing all the time and might be able to give you advice on how to hook up some lights and turn signals.

Really I'd be more worried about if your motorhome is up to the task, especially if you're going to be driving over the mountains.
Thanks for all the input. I'll try to avoid the mountains too
Old 05-09-16, 10:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Absolutely not. Your ES is not on the list of cars that can be towed (see link below, scroll about 40% down). Always follow your owners manual. There has to be a section in there that covers this. The factory knows best.
At the very least, you risk scraping the rear trim (tailpipes) if your car is tilted up. But usually it's due to transmission and driveline damage. Today's modern cars are not the same cars as 30 years ago where just about anyone could tow anything. Things have changed and cars are way more complicated and intricate. You will also void your powertrain warranty.

http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/...inghyGuide.pdf
Old 05-09-16, 10:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Absolutely not. Your ES is not on the list of cars that can be towed (see link below, scroll about 40% down). Always follow your owners manual. There has to be a section in there that covers this. The factory knows best.
At the very least, you risk scraping the rear trim (tailpipes) if your car is tilted up. But usually it's due to transmission and driveline damage. Today's modern cars are not the same cars as 30 years ago where just about anyone could tow anything. Things have changed and cars are way more complicated and intricate. You will also void your powertrain warranty.

http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/...inghyGuide.pdf
He's towing it with a dolley, not flat towing it like some RV guys do. He'll be fine, its like towing it with a tow truck.
Old 05-09-16, 11:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

He's towing it with a dolley, not flat towing it like some RV guys do. He'll be fine, its like towing it with a tow truck.
My mistake, thanks! Although I still think the factory is against any extended distance towing, regardless of which wheels are down. More research is needed on the topic.
Old 05-10-16, 04:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a hard time seeing why you couldn't as long as the drive wheels are up. Nothing is going to lock up, and nothing will be starving for oil(like a transfer case, differential, or transmission), so you should be ok.
Old 05-10-16, 08:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not taking a side on this, however here's another aspect to think about. Think back to the last time you saw a tow truck towing a Lexus with half the car lifted? I don't think I've ever seen it. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any modern luxury or average newer car being towed that way. Everything seems to be flatbedded these days. There has to be a reason for it.
Old 05-10-16, 10:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I'm not taking a side on this, however here's another aspect to think about. Think back to the last time you saw a tow truck towing a Lexus with half the car lifted? I don't think I've ever seen it. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any modern luxury or average newer car being towed that way. Everything seems to be flatbedded these days. There has to be a reason for it.
As long as the rear bumper isn't going to scrape, you are good to go. Those tow dollies are pretty low profile, they only raise the front wheels a few inches, so its not like the car is at a 45 degree angle being towed.

Also most new tow trucks use this type of system where they only raise the front wheels a few inches off the ground.

Old 05-11-16, 12:37 AM
joey910
Driver School Candidate

As long as the rear bumper isn't going to scrape, you are good to go. Those tow dollies are pretty low profile, they only raise the front wheels a few inches, so its not like the car is at a 45 degree angle being towed.

Also most new tow trucks use this type of system where they only raise the front wheels a few inches off the ground.

All good thoughts. I am taking all of these suggestions and comments into consideration. I will be going down to uhaul in the morning and see what success they have had with this issue also. Thanks again.
Old 05-11-16, 04:53 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't what the OP suggest amount to the same as flat bed towing? All 4 wheels would be off the ground, the front 2 on the tow straps, and the rear on the dolly? the added height from the dolly would also protect the rear bumper from scraping.
Old 05-11-16, 05:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 645 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Doesn't what the OP suggest amount to the same as flat bed towing? All 4 wheels would be off the ground, the front 2 on the tow straps, and the rear on the dolly? the added height from the dolly would also protect the rear bumper from scraping.
This is dolly towing: