Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 07:25 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing guys, has anyone heard of needing to use a pivot ball supplied by Collins? The guy above on SF said that he was supplied a pivot ball from Collins with his kit. But he ended up using a 4mm spacer on the stock pivot ball... Anyone heard of this? I hope this is not required because I do not feel like pulling this trans back out all because I did not receive a pivot ball in my kit. I will be highly upset
Old 05-10-16, 08:19 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Another thing guys, has anyone heard of needing to use a pivot ball supplied by Collins? The guy above on SF said that he was supplied a pivot ball from Collins with his kit. But he ended up using a 4mm spacer on the stock pivot ball... Anyone heard of this? I hope this is not required because I do not feel like pulling this trans back out all because I did not receive a pivot ball in my kit. I will be highly upset

OK, talked to Brett Collins. You only need to do this if you have an older 350z trans. I'm relieved now
Old 05-11-16, 10:36 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I updated the first few posts of this thread to include everything done up to this point
Old 05-11-16, 11:57 AM
driftdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Love that shifter write up, thanks for making that! Im going to add in a clamp on that same setup similar to the position changing piece on the serialnine. Hope that will bring me more forward in my GS. I am going with the AISIN 350z adapter from collins.
Old 05-12-16, 04:09 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by driftdan
Love that shifter write up, thanks for making that! Im going to add in a clamp on that same setup similar to the position changing piece on the serialnine. Hope that will bring me more forward in my GS. I am going with the AISIN 350z adapter from collins.
Hey no problem! I am assuming that you are thinking of using only the 240sx shifter, and not the BRZ shifter? I wonder how much more forward you need to be? If you only need another inch inch and a half or so, then you can use a double bend shifter from a Honda/acura and just weld that in. I was considering doing that, but then went with the BRZ shifter instead in order to retain reverse lockout.

And let us know about the Aisin Collins kit!
Old 05-12-16, 04:16 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice progress man! i'll be waiting for this weekend to see your next update

no idea on the slot, mine got ground off with the 5/8" delete..
Old 05-12-16, 05:34 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Thanks Marko! Yeah, this weekend my update will be a running video for you

For that slot, I think I will just cover it up with some foil tape or something until I can figure something out. I can't imagine that would be just left open when strapped to the back of a VQ
Old 05-12-16, 11:06 AM
driftdan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Hey no problem! I am assuming that you are thinking of using only the 240sx shifter, and not the BRZ shifter? I wonder how much more forward you need to be? If you only need another inch inch and a half or so, then you can use a double bend shifter from a Honda/acura and just weld that in. I was considering doing that, but then went with the BRZ shifter instead in order to retain reverse lockout.

And let us know about the Aisin Collins kit!

I thought about doing the BRZ but I dont think dropping into reverse will be an issue. My TSX 6spd reverse was in the same position and they dont have a lock out. If I do end up grinding I will add in the BRZ setup.

As soon as the clutch setup arrives im going to start putting everything in!
Old 05-15-16, 03:06 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by driftdan
I thought about doing the BRZ but I dont think dropping into reverse will be an issue. My TSX 6spd reverse was in the same position and they dont have a lock out. If I do end up grinding I will add in the BRZ setup.

As soon as the clutch setup arrives im going to start putting everything in!

Awesome! I can't wait to start getting some more feedback from everyone that are doing this
Old 05-15-16, 03:39 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I got the car all buttoned up. Just a few things I need to to grab tomorrow at the dealer. Need a couple hood hinge bolts because a couple of mine disappeared. Also need to grab some factory red coolant because the jug that I thought I had only had water in it. Don't remember doing that but oh well.

SO, the startup is delayed until tomorrow

Here is draining/filling the trans with OEM trans fluid. The trans came drained but took a pic anyway while I took the plug out to put a new sealing washer on. Both plugs, the drain and fill plugs take 18mm crush washers. Nissan manual says tighten to 28 ft lbs, but I did 40 ft lbs because I didn't feel like I was getting a good enough crush on the washer:

Draining:

Filling with quart bottle fluid pump. Took a lot of pumps, but worked perfectly. The trans took a tad over 3.5 quarts:

Then I changed the oil, added DOT4 brake fluid to clutch master cylinder and pulled it through with a vacuum bleeder (still need to properly bleed with a buddy) and finished up all of the in bay work to complete re-install. Then, got back into the interior to put that all back together.

I took that plate from underneath the shifter bezel and cut it as shown so that I can retain the center console base mounting points. Without those 2 mounting tabs, the center console would be all over the place:

Installed:

Interior all back together, and this is how the shifter sits. Low and left I was hoping it would be a bit more centered. I figured it might be a little low, but off center caught me off guard. Has anyone else noticed this? (first 3 pics are in neutral, last is in 1st)

First gear:

But that about gets it all together. I will just have to at some point pull that shifter out and have the BRZ shifter welded on, and get a piece of angle iron to put on the shifter housing to act as the stop for the reverse lockout. I would also like to think up of something to actually retain the shifter end pivot ball in the little plastic bushing that I JB welded to the linkage part. If I can come up with something to do that, then I can remove the springs that are up in the shifter. I cut about 1 coil off of the springs that are inside the shifter to relieve some tension, but it's still not as smooth and pleasant to shift as I would like. Then, would like to get the Dakota digital box wired into ABS sensor for my speedo.

Stay tuned til tomorrow for a running video
Old 05-15-16, 03:50 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great build and great info
Old 05-15-16, 04:11 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idlefree
Great build and great info

Thanks man
Old 05-15-16, 04:14 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I updated the first page and also added an excel spreadsheet of parts and related costs to the first post. Scroll to the bottom of post #1 to download the spreadsheet
Old 05-15-16, 07:15 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

looks good. Bummer on the off-center, but I think you're the only one that's ever going to notice that. It might be nice because reverse is so far to the right, but I think the throws are really short with that shifter so probably doesn't even matter.

I wouldn't worry about it man, it's still light years better than my row-boat setup
Old 05-15-16, 07:46 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Thanks man, yeah I am sort of a perfectionist so it will definitely bother me. But oh well. Maybe when I have the BRZ shifter welded on, I might see if they can do it sort of offset so that it sits more center. We'll see.

I would really like for someone else to do this same setup to see if theirs falls in the same place. I'm kinda thinking back now to how my Collins adapter had those holes that were on the edge of breaking through and wondering if all of the cd009 mounting holes got rotated by a few degrees, which would mean that my trans is not mounted directly center. I don't remember looking at it when it was mounted to the motor and thinking that it looked funky though. So I dont' know. I need someone else to try this so that I can see.

I don't care, because I should finally be driving it tomorrow for the first time in 5 months. But I have to keep my foot of the gas for a few weeks until I break this clutch in

Quick Reply: CD009 350Z 6spd On 1JZ SC400