Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Confirmed: Buick Verano Will Disappear After Brief 2017 Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I can't see the attraction of these new CUVs even though everyone seems to be getting one. They're heavier than sedans of similar length, the driving dynamics are compromised, mileage is a lot lower because of that weight and optional AWD, they cost more, yet they're flying off the dealer lots. The higher driving position becomes pointless when the road is clogged full of tall vehicles. Most buyers never venture off flat asphalt so why are they buying these things?
There are a lot of plusses. Driving position is one, flexibility with cargo is another. They're easier to get in and out of. Driving dynamics aren't as compromised as you'd think, and as they become more aerodynamic a lot of times they're actually quieter and better riding than a comparable sedan, they're further off the ground which reduces noise, they have room for more suspension travel, often can run wider series tires on bigger wheels which improves the ride.

A lot of it too is style and fashion. They're in style and that appeals to people.

My business partner who has the 2015 GS F Sport just got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude and gave the GS to his fiancé to finish out the lease:

Thats a trim that didn't exist when I had my Jeep, its above the Overland but below the Summit. I rode in it the other day and I had forgotten what a nice vehicle it is to ride in. Honestly, its every bit as smooth and quiet as my LS460, and its not even the Summit which has active noise cancellation, an acoustic windshield, etc.

A lot of plusses. I've considered it each time, but I've always held back.
Old 06-09-16, 09:11 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I can't see the attraction of these new CUVs even though everyone seems to be getting one. They're heavier than sedans of similar length, the driving dynamics are compromised, mileage is a lot lower because of that weight and optional AWD, they cost more, yet they're flying off the dealer lots. The higher driving position becomes pointless when the road is clogged full of tall vehicles. Most buyers never venture off flat asphalt so why are they buying these things?
Americans love (station) wagons but hate Station Wagons. But as these CUVs become ever more car-like, I am eagerly awaiting the return of the Vista Cruiser.
Old 06-09-16, 06:43 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? Most likely because of space efficiency. If you are at a yard sale or thrift-store, for example, and see a good bargain on a piece of used furniture, you might not be able to cram it into a small sedan.
Bingo! I will be trading my S5 for some type of CUV in December. I'm not doing it to ride higher. I love my coupe. It's just that with a sedan the storage space is compromised. I travel a lot, and although I can stuff my luggage into the back of my S5 I would like to be able to simply drop it in without shuffling everything around. When we both travel we have to hire a transfer because even with the rear seats folded down there still isn't enough room. We recently purchased a new desk chair and had to take it out of the box and put it in our convertible with the top down to carry it home.

I was considering the A7 because it is beautiful and still a hatchback, but because it is so ridiculously expensive I can get an SQ5 with better power and handling for less money. Yes, a CUV with better power and handling than a top line sedan. There are a few out there.
Old 06-09-16, 07:29 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Americans love (station) wagons but hate Station Wagons. But as these CUVs become ever more car-like, I am eagerly awaiting the return of the Vista Cruiser.
The mazda6 hatchback needs to come back
Old 06-10-16, 06:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Bingo! I will be trading my S5 for some type of CUV in December. I'm not doing it to ride higher. I love my coupe. It's just that with a sedan the storage space is compromised. I travel a lot, and although I can stuff my luggage into the back of my S5 I would like to be able to simply drop it in without shuffling everything around. When we both travel we have to hire a transfer because even with the rear seats folded down there still isn't enough room. We recently purchased a new desk chair and had to take it out of the box and put it in our convertible with the top down to carry it home.

I was considering the A7 because it is beautiful and still a hatchback, but because it is so ridiculously expensive I can get an SQ5 with better power and handling for less money. Yes, a CUV with better power and handling than a top line sedan. There are a few out there.

Does it have to be an S-model? If you want that extra power and handling, and can afford it, fine, but you'll save quite a bit by forgoing that S-label.
Old 06-10-16, 10:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I travel a lot, and although I can stuff my luggage into the back of my S5 I would like to be able to simply drop it in without shuffling everything around. .
How hard is it to put luggage inside a trunk?
Old 06-10-16, 10:24 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The mazda6 hatchback needs to come back

Old 06-10-16, 11:24 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

How much stuff can you(or presumably the misses) have that you can't fit it in the trunk and back seat of that Audi? That's kind of insane unless you are going on a month long voyage from NY to CA or are on a wilderness expedition to the Klondike or something. I get it if you had something like a Miata, Corvette, etc but there is a pretty good amount of room in an Audi S5, 335i coupe, etc
Old 06-10-16, 11:32 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo

Hatchbacks are awesome, had a 1999 Camaro and my buddy had a 2003 Acura RSX. You wouldn't believe how much crap you could cram in either one of those cars, especially the Acura with the rear seats folded. The Camaro would take a whole mountain bike with the wheels on. As for the Mazda 6, I really liked the wagon version they sold about 10 years ago.
Old 06-10-16, 11:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm older than most here and traded in an ES350 for a Q5. Much easier and convenient to load and unload luggage and other miscellaneous stuff on to the flat floor vs. down into a trunk cramming things into the back seat etc. I'd wager there are a lot of other consumers who prefer the room and convenience. CUV's/SUV's obviously not for everyone but good options to have.

Last edited by LexBob2; 06-10-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its totally different. When packing for a trip you can load an SUV or CUV up to the roof in the back. You can put large or oddly shaped stuff in there.

My partner who traded his GS for a Grand Cherokee, his first comment was how much easier it was ti carry around his stuff he needs for work.
Old 06-10-16, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its totally different. When packing for a trip you can load an SUV or CUV up to the roof in the back. You can put large or oddly shaped stuff in there.

My partner who traded his GS for a Grand Cherokee, his first comment was how much easier it was ti carry around his stuff he needs for work.
Yep, my Brother has a Kia Sportage...and it sure came in handy for getting me to the hospital and back...several times since my injury. I had to straddle the back seat sideways, with my straight-braced-leg out all the way across the seat. Technically, because of seat belt laws, that was (probably) illegal, but I trust my brother's driving.

(Now you guys can see why I criticize vehicles with overly-crowded back seats, though I admit that my Verano (the thread-title) is indeed one of the offenders in that area. But I myself rarely, if ever, carry someone in back....my brother does on occasion**.

As you all may have guessed by now, the knee surgery's over, and I'm back at home recuperating.

Of course, not all SUVs are designed well for actually crying things (or people) in back. Some of them, like the boxy Subaru Forester, are excellent (and have the added benefit of large square windows for vision). Others, like the Nissan Juke or now-discontinued Acura ZDX, make you wonder what the designers were smoking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-16 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-10-16, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Old 06-10-16, 06:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If your luggage JUST BARELY FITS inside the trunk and it is all heavy it is pretty hard.
Old 06-10-16, 06:39 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
How much stuff can you(or presumably the misses) have that you can't fit it in the trunk and back seat of that Audi? That's kind of insane unless you are going on a month long voyage from NY to CA or are on a wilderness expedition to the Klondike or something. I get it if you had something like a Miata, Corvette, etc but there is a pretty good amount of room in an Audi S5, 335i coupe, etc
I take a large garment bag, a large rolling briefcase and a laptop bag with me on every trip. The garment bag is especially heavy and I have to lift it up to put it in the trunk and then move the other two bags around to make them all fit. Also, you can use the back seat of the Audi, but then you have to take the luggage out the driver or passenger door, which is not exactly easy. Also, as others have said it is easier to drop luggage into the trunk of a CUV than lift it into the trunk of a coupe

Not that I need to explain it, but I know what I'm talking about. This is my third S5. I've lived with them for a long time.

Last edited by dseag2; 06-10-16 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: Buick Verano Will Disappear After Brief 2017 Model Year