SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any Radio upgrade for 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 08:48 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Any Radio upgrade for 2016?

Hello all...I am considering upgrading my sound system on my 2002 sc430...would like to know if anyone has done a recent upgrade and what they used for radio, speakers, etc. The only links are old and the radio that was recommended was Pioneer AVH-P4400_BH which is dis continued....would like a plug and play with minimum or no major modifications and hopefully a harness that keeps all functions intact; the last I saw was Beatsonic MVSA-12L but there were limitations on that...anything newer? Thanks!
Old 06-10-16, 11:28 AM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NEWONE1, since I just did an update yesterday I will tell you my experience. There are a number of threads on here, and they are all good info. There seems to be several choices, but I used the Beatsonic harness. I originally updated my 2002 about 3 years ago. If I was doing it over, I would do the same thing. With the Beatsonic you can use everything that is in your car, speakers, amp everything. I installed a Pioneer AVH something originally and just yesterday updated the radio with a Pioneer 4200NEX. I love it! I was fairly easy to install. You can get some shops to install I am certain. Best Buy will do it, as will others... But, bottom line, the 4200 NEX is a good stereo.
Old 06-10-16, 12:06 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

The Pioneer AVH-X5800 replaced my 5700. Nice radio, the app radio Moondog mentioned has different features and is also very nice, just depends what you want it to do.
Plenty of reading, hope it helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...with-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...placement.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...to-choose.html
Old 06-10-16, 06:39 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Thanks guys....being I have not purchased any of the items yet would like to know: the Beatsonic harness plugs into the three connectors that were in the ML head unit, from there the connectors are plugged into the the Pioneer unit directly how? Also will the antenna work when the radio is turned on as original? What other connections need to be done or modified if it's not a direct plug and play? Thanks
Old 06-10-16, 07:21 PM
Moondog
Driver

I had Best Buy here near ATL do the first install. They did a great job. I had DVD use on the main screen or the Nav Screen...never used it, but I had it. I had XM and also the regular radio. On the new Pioneer, I used the same Beatsonic "plug and play"...not exactly plug and play though. There were about 10 wires to connect into the radio harness from the Beatsonic. There was a brake relay to hook up, the DVD to hook up, mic for the bluetooth, and several others. If you are not versed in this, I would probably pay someone to do it. I only did the the 2nd time because I had played with it enough that I figured it out. When I first pulled it out, it was overwhelming. In fact, I put it back in, and stepped away...came back the next day after I had talked to a local installer...I came back with a greater confidence and installed it. It works perfect. I love the Apple Carplay that syncs with the iphone. It is flawless. Sound is great, and the bluetooth is so much better than the older Pioneer.
Old 06-10-16, 09:03 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

The 10 wires that need to be connected, how do you distinguish what goes to where and their function …is there a color code and diagrammatic somewhere?
Old 06-11-16, 04:29 AM
Moondog
Driver

They are color matched...and Beatsonic does send pretty good directions.
Old 06-14-16, 07:19 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Default Any Radio upgrade for 2016?

Interested in knowing on the 4200nex if you or anyone have placed the mic in the original location in the lamp housing and if so, how you placed and secured it and ran the wires....thanks
ps: Not yelling ...caps lock is screwed up
Old 06-15-16, 12:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I placed the mic in the original location...the answer is in my earlier post...with pictures.
Old 06-15-16, 09:46 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Thanks...when you cut the wires, 4 and 15 and grounded the one...can't you just hook up a parking break bi pass that does the same thing or am I confused on this procedure....also if the antenna ever needed to be replaced how would you be able to eject it ?
Old 06-15-16, 12:37 PM
RA060424
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Moondog. I upgraded my radio to AVH-X2700BS and used another connection interface. Not happy with it so I'm saving my money for a Beatsonic.
Also one thing to consider when picking a radio or installing one that you have. The radio I have doesn't have an off button so it's always on. This seems to be a trend ever since Steve Jobs thought it up. The down side is that unless you install an off switch your radio antenna will always be up when the car is running which means you'll never be able to use a drive through car wash. I went back in and installed on in ash tray. Serious who would smoke in one of these cars?
Old 06-16-16, 02:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ElSifon
I agree with Moondog. I upgraded my radio to AVH-X2700BS and used another connection interface. Not happy with it so I'm saving my money for a Beatsonic.
Also one thing to consider when picking a radio or installing one that you have. The radio I have doesn't have an off button so it's always on. This seems to be a trend ever since Steve Jobs thought it up. The down side is that unless you install an off switch your radio antenna will always be up when the car is running which means you'll never be able to use a drive through car wash. I went back in and installed on in ash tray. Serious who would smoke in one of these cars?
I have the AVH-X5700BHS and I push the center physical button, then a power button shows up on the screen in a sub menu.

The Previous owner of my car smoked in my car, but she passed away and her husband sold it to me.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-16-16 at 02:34 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 02:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Thanks...when you cut the wires, 4 and 15 and grounded the one...can't you just hook up a parking break bi pass that does the same thing or am I confused on this procedure....also if the antenna ever needed to be replaced how would you be able to eject it ?
Don't worry about pins 4 and 15. It has nothing to do with normal operation, just hook up the bypass cable. The bypass cable applies only to the radio and it allows movies to be played on the radio screen when the parking brake is off.

Pins 4 and 15 is all about playing movies on the GPS screen while the car is in motion and has no control over anything the aftermarket radio can do. These pins are part of the car wiring.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-16-16 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-16-16, 06:27 AM
Moondog
Driver

About the antenna, mine stopped working. So, I did a lot of study on the board on how to replace it. I bought one, and was about ready to replace it. I thought, I never use this, it goes up all the time.... So, I decided to not replace the antenna. So, it never goes up now. If at some point in the future I want to replace it, I have the piece ready to go in... :-)
Old 06-16-16, 07:41 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

I haven't purchased a head unit yet but interested in avh 4200 nex…so the bi pass will allow a movie to play while in motion on radio screen?
Moondog did you cut pins 4 and 15 on your 4200? If so did it work?

Quick Reply: Any Radio upgrade for 2016?