RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Damaged rear speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 10:44 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Damaged rear speed sensor

I was driving along today and my dash lit up light a Christmas tree. I got PCS, ABS, Brake and BSM lights and I was locked out of first gear in manual mode. Other than the lights and having to driving in auto mode, the car drove fine. When I got home I inspected the rear suspension and saw that the driver's side speed sensor's rubber shielding where it attaches to control arm was damaged. It was not completely severed, but there was a hole and some exposed copper wiring. I had SPC rear control arms and RSR coilovers installed and the car was lowered about 1.3 inches in rear. I was able to use extra copper wire and electrical tape to temporarily fix the problem. After all the wires where connected and shielded with electrical tape, I got zero lights when I started the car.

I'm not sure how it happened. Maybe the wire was damaged during install or it was pinched due to car being lowered. Whatever the case, make sure the wire is secured in a way to avoid being pinched during suspension travel.

I ordered the new wire and will attempt to replace. Looks pretty straight forward except the wire goes into the interior of the car somewhere. I read that I will have to remove rear seats. If so, that should be pretty easy. Is there something I'm missing? Will any of the rear interior need to be removed? Any pointers on how to do this?
Old 06-18-16, 05:05 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Something similar happened to me when I had RSR springs installed. I bottomed out taking a turn too aggressively and the rear drivers side wiring harness got cut. My dash was lit up like a Xmas tree until I temporarily fixed it with a soldering gun. Ended up costing me hundreds to replace. Took the springs off and threw them in the trash. Riding Penske coils news with zero issues. The spring rate for the RSR springs are way too low and squishy. I didn't replace mine myself like you're looking to do, I just repaired it until I could get it to the dealership. If you need to pull your rear seat it comes out super easy. Took mine out when I did the custom interior....reach down to the front of the seat and pull,it up and out. It comes right out

Old 06-18-16, 07:16 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Thanks bro. I have coilovers and they are set up pretty stiff. I'm thinking it could have been damaged during install. I'll find a better way to mount the wire when I replace it. Looks like it got sandwiched between bracket and spc control arm. Did you have spc control arm?

Last edited by Deanrcf; 06-18-16 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-18-16, 07:55 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,574 Likes on 687 Posts

I have FIGS control arms, which is just like the SPC and I found that I had to re-form the bracket so the wires don't get stressed, pinched or cut.

Old 06-18-16, 08:00 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to be a common occurrence when modifying the suspension on Lexus vehicles. The sensors are very sensitive to tension and can pull out rather easily. I even had a dealer technician mention this to me, said you have to be very careful with them or else they'll pull out or break.
Old 06-18-16, 08:21 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I have FIGS control arms, which is just like the SPC and I found that I had to re-form the bracket so the wires don't get stressed, pinched or cut.

I might be modifying the bracket also or totally rerouting the wire